6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 09-22-2019, 08:00 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
A lot of white smoke from exhaust!!

It’s my first 6.0 diesel. 2006 E-450. I noticed a little black smoke from the exhaust and thought it was normal. After about 30 miles, there was a quick mis in the engine then changed over to a lot of white smoke. I have fuel in the tail pipe and noticed I’m getting fuel in the oil too. The oil level on the dipstick is about a quart over the full mark. I had a Ford dealer diagnose it and said cyl. 3 had no contribution. I replaced the injector and still no change to the white smoke from exhaust.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 09-22-2019, 08:31 PM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 481 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Customfloors79! View Post
It’s my first 6.0 diesel. 2006 E-450. I noticed a little black smoke from the exhaust and thought it was normal. After about 30 miles, there was a quick mis in the engine then changed over to a lot of white smoke. I have fuel in the tail pipe and noticed I’m getting fuel in the oil too. The oil level on the dipstick is about a quart over the full mark. I had a Ford dealer diagnose it and said cyl. 3 had no contribution. I replaced the injector and still no change to the white smoke from exhaust.
Did the miss go away? Stock exhaust? You changed the oil, right?

If all the above are true, sometimes when excess coolant or fuel is sent through the exhaust, it pools and gets stuck in the cat and needs a few miles to burn off. How many miles have you driven?

-jokester

2005 F350 CCLB FX4 Lariat
SCT SF3 - Currently running PHP 80hp Daily Driver Tune with Atlas 40 FICM Tune
Edge Insight CTS2 monitor
Edge EAS EGT probe
Edge EAS Fuel Pressure Sensor
post #3 of 16 Old 09-23-2019, 05:08 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 388 Post(s)
In addition to the above, you can pull the glow plugs and crank the engine to see if another injector is a problem as well.

I hate to even suggest it, but you are sure that you replaced #3 (passenger side second one from the front)?
jokester00 likes this.

Mark
06 F250CC SB FX4 Lariat; ARP studs; OEM gaskets; Banks exhaust; DynaTrac Ball joints; RACCCV6000; JimmiJammers; Ravelco; SynchroMax in trans case; Fumoto valves; Harpooned; Blue regulator spring; DashDAQ; PHP FICM; RiffRaff boots; DCPower 270AXP; Power Inverter; Bilstein shocks; BPD EGR cooler, radiator, water pump; SCT w/ SRL+; Rotella ELC Ultra Coolant; X2Power AGM batteries
No-start thread:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 09-23-2019, 05:16 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Everything is stock. Currently it has lack of power and a slight mis. I did change the oil with OEM oil, filter, and both fuel filters. There is still an abundance of white smoke and diesel fuel at the tail pipe
post #5 of 16 Old 09-23-2019, 05:22 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Yes. I did replace #3. It did have a crack on the injector tip and figured that was the problem. Could there be more than one? Can you explain a little more about checking the injectors by pulling the glow plugs? Thank You.
post #6 of 16 Old 09-23-2019, 05:40 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Low fuel pressure is the most common reason for cracked injector tips IMO. You probably should start researching fuel pressure gauges. That said, if it is low fuel pressure, you could have another injector problem.

When you replaced the #3, did you blow out the hold-down bolt hole so that no liquid was in it prior to bolting it down? What torque did you go to on the hold-down? Has your torque wrench been calibrated recently? Whose injector (brand and supplier) did you go with?

When you pull the glow plugs and crank the engine, it will "shoot out" any excess fuel that is in the cylinder so you can identify the proper injector. It will come out with enough force to injure you, so be careful. There are youtube videos on it. IIRC DieselTechRon has made one.
jokester00 likes this.

Mark
06 F250CC SB FX4 Lariat; ARP studs; OEM gaskets; Banks exhaust; DynaTrac Ball joints; RACCCV6000; JimmiJammers; Ravelco; SynchroMax in trans case; Fumoto valves; Harpooned; Blue regulator spring; DashDAQ; PHP FICM; RiffRaff boots; DCPower 270AXP; Power Inverter; Bilstein shocks; BPD EGR cooler, radiator, water pump; SCT w/ SRL+; Rotella ELC Ultra Coolant; X2Power AGM batteries
No-start thread:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by bismic; 09-23-2019 at 02:33 PM.
post #7 of 16 Old 09-23-2019, 10:54 AM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 481 Post(s)
Garage
Clearing a hydrolock:

-jokester
bismic and nine9six like this.

2005 F350 CCLB FX4 Lariat
SCT SF3 - Currently running PHP 80hp Daily Driver Tune with Atlas 40 FICM Tune
Edge Insight CTS2 monitor
Edge EAS EGT probe
Edge EAS Fuel Pressure Sensor
post #8 of 16 Old 10-14-2019, 05:31 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Another question from this post; there is 0 compression on cylinder 3. I’m still getting a lot of fuel in the oil. Is it possible I could have a bad piston to get 0 compression and fuel in oil?
post #9 of 16 Old 10-14-2019, 05:51 PM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Garage
Possible, yes -- but I have never had an engine blow a piston and not have a serious knock

You are checking compression thru the glow plug hole?

Are the valve covers off? would be good to look at the valve operation as you are cranking the engine over/ or running

In my defense, I was unsupervised
2006 F250 Lariat FX4 cclb
Torque Pro and OBDLink MX bluetooth monitor
General note:
For all those wanting a premium silicone sealer Kubota 70000-73764 is the best your gonna find. This is a hybrid gray silicone that uses solvent rather than acid to start the curing reaction, this makes it safe for aluminum and and any surface that involves coolant.
post #10 of 16 Old 10-14-2019, 07:13 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I did check compression through the glow plug. If I take valve cover off, will I be able to check the valves? Compression is going somewhere and I really don’t want to pull the motor. It is an E-450 so not a fun job. Where else can compression go besides the valves?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode