2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 09-20-2019, 05:52 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Oil cooler or..?

So first and foremost, I've actually turned wrenches on these trucks before- but not mine in particular. I'm a capable tech on gas engines, however I'm by no means an expert on the 6.0s. My truck is an 07, has well over 300k miles, but hasn't given me any trouble up until this point. I use the truck to tow <7500lbs almost daily, and was on my way home with about 7klbs behind the truck, going up a long hill, turning about 2500-2800RPM. Crossed the top of the hill, could smell coolant, looked down and watched my "Dummy" coolant gauge begin to rise. I pulled over, my coolant tank had a crack in the bottom of it, and the upper hose had actually swelled due to coolant pressure.

I let it sit for about 20min, depressurize, threw water in the tank and drove it home. It didn't overheat, or give any issues (I was about 10min from home). Got home, ordered a coolant tank then picked up and had it installed an hour later. Topped it off with water, no leaks, drove it for 2 or 3 days. No overheating, never passed 196 degrees unloaded, never passed 206 loaded (100 degrees weather). I was constantly checking the coolant and coolant pressure after each drive.. nothing insane but I felt it was a little more pressure than normal. Finally I drove about 2.5 hours round trip, loaded with about 5klbs, got home and had oil in the coolant. I haven't driven the truck since. Still runs perfect, never overheated or acted weird on the way home.

So heres where my question comes into play. I understand theres a lot of pressure backing that oil- and in theory it could cause the coolant system to pressurize when purging via the oil cooler.. however I haven't seen anyone post anything about the upper hose expanding like mine has or even excess coolant pressue when an oil cooler fails. Is it possible that one of or both of my heads cracked and its purging both compression and oil into my coolant? Or is that highly unlikely?

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 09-20-2019, 09:28 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Is there any oil visible in the degas bottle?
post #3 of 11 Old 09-20-2019, 12:34 PM
Serving Our Country!

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Troubleshoot how you will, but I would suspect a busted EGR or bad heads. Oil cooler being bad would be the delta. I have a feeling of you can check the EOT, ECT, and coolant pressure, you suspect this could be heads, and I wish it is only a less expensive easier to do oil cooler.

2005 F250, 189,000 Miles
Bullet Proof HD Oil Cooler w/ Cold Weather Kit, Bullet Proof EGR, Bulletproof Water Pump, 7.3 Fan Clutch
Airlift 5k Airbags and Wireless Air
Edge CTS w/ EGT probe and Fuel Pressure Sensor.
15 MPG slick; 10 MPG towing 11k fifth wheel
Ravelco

6.0 Flush Procedure:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Good 6.0 Reading:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 09-30-2019, 08:36 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bismic View Post
Is there any oil visible in the degas bottle?
Yes. There was a small amount on the top of the tank. Drained the coolant and there wasn't any mixed in the system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisSki View Post
Troubleshoot how you will, but I would suspect a busted EGR or bad heads. Oil cooler being bad would be the delta. I have a feeling of you can check the EOT, ECT, and coolant pressure, you suspect this could be heads, and I wish it is only a less expensive easier to do oil cooler.
EGR has been deleted. If the delta remains normal and oil still purges into the coolant system, does that mean its heads?
post #5 of 11 Old 09-30-2019, 09:05 AM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Garage
I think head gaskets are just getting old and leaky

Engine oil in the degas bottle or fuel(brownish varnish smell)

Tee a gauge in one of the small lines on the degas bottle and look for a sharp pressure rise on acceleration
zip tie the gauge to your windshield wiper

In my defense, I was unsupervised
2006 F250 Lariat FX4 cclb
Torque Pro and OBDLink MX bluetooth monitor
General note:
For all those wanting a premium silicone sealer Kubota 70000-73764 is the best your gonna find. This is a hybrid gray silicone that uses solvent rather than acid to start the curing reaction, this makes it safe for aluminum and and any surface that involves coolant.
post #6 of 11 Old 09-30-2019, 09:08 AM

I agree Hydro - from his description it could very well be fuel in the degas bottle. This comes from a cracked head OR from a cup issue that is located on the very same cylinder as an injector that is having an o-ring problem.
post #7 of 11 Old 09-30-2019, 09:33 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
I agree Hydro - from his description it could very well be fuel in the degas bottle. This comes from a cracked head OR from a cup issue that is located on the very same cylinder as an injector that is having an o-ring problem.
It without a doubt is oil, not fuel.
post #8 of 11 Old 09-30-2019, 09:57 AM

Please do not think I am contradicting!!!

Just an FYI - Oil will USUALLY (I admit - not always) get mixed up in a coagulated looking "paste" (reaction w/ the water due to the water pump action). Soot and fuel combined can often times look like oil.
post #9 of 11 Old 09-30-2019, 10:01 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Please do not think I am contradicting!!!

Just an FYI - Oil will USUALLY (I admit - not always) get mixed up in a coagulated looking "paste" (reaction w/ the water due to the water pump action). Soot and fuel combined can often times look like oil.
I understand- the same as when a gas engine blows a headgasket and purges coolant into the crank case.

I also understand how nasty diesel could look similiar to oil. I pulled a sample before I drained the coolant. I'll verify one way or the other before moving forward. However I'm fairly confident its oil due to its viscosity. I could believe it may have not mixed into a paste due to the fact that there was only <300ml of oil that I could see in the system (even after draining and flushing it).
bismic and Hydro like this.
post #10 of 11 Old Yesterday, 07:57 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Update: I'm here to eat my crow. I captured a sample of the coolant syphoned out of the tank before I flushed it.. its nasty diesel- I can tell by the smell.

I suppose thats why I'm asking you guys for an opinion and not trusting my own. lol

I've read that this is caused by a cracked but there is a "quick fix" kit that installs a sleeve in the injector hole. Is this fix worth doing considering my situation?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode