LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 09-17-2019, 05:46 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Replacing starters yearly

Hello folks,

Stock with 130,000 miles. I have replaced my starter 3 times in the last 3.5 years and it just left me stranded again. The first 3 times the starter has tested bad. I went through 3 from O'Reilly and now 1 from Napa (yet to be tested). I suspect it will test bad. I found a TSB for 99-03 vehicles but nothing for the 6.0. Any thoughts?

Jeremy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 09-17-2019, 06:39 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
My original starter is still in the truck at 217k miles. Stick w/ motorcraft. Get a 6.4L starter if you want quicker starts.
post #3 of 10 Old 09-17-2019, 07:24 PM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Garage
Bad?? -- like in the same type of failure, or each different?

The "test" that you get at the auto parts store is suspect at best

without an actual load placed on the starter output, there is no way to accurately tell if it is outputting proper torque

Battery condition, cable connections(both ends) are key in starter performance

Over using a starter to the point it gets heated is problematic

As @bismic stated about his miles, I will second with 160k on the original -- I am thinking there is another problem with your truck
Not trying to be harsh, just going off experience -- that seems like a lot of "bad" starters for one truck
jerkeife and Jjorgis5569 like this.

In my defense, I was unsupervised
2006 F250 Lariat FX4 cclb
Torque Pro and OBDLink MX bluetooth monitor
General note:
For all those wanting a premium silicone sealer Kubota 70000-73764 is the best your gonna find. This is a hybrid gray silicone that uses solvent rather than acid to start the curing reaction, this makes it safe for aluminum and and any surface that involves coolant.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hydro For This Useful Post:
jerkeife (09-18-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 09-18-2019, 05:15 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bismic View Post
My original starter is still in the truck at 217k miles. Stick w/ motorcraft. Get a 6.4L starter if you want quicker starts.
The original motorcraft starter failed around 125k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydro View Post
Bad?? -- like in the same type of failure, or each different?

The "test" that you get at the auto parts store is suspect at best

without an actual load placed on the starter output, there is no way to accurately tell if it is outputting proper torque

Battery condition, cable connections(both ends) are key in starter performance

Over using a starter to the point it gets heated is problematic

As @bismic stated about his miles, I will second with 160k on the original -- I am thinking there is another problem with your truck
Not trying to be harsh, just going off experience -- that seems like a lot of "bad" starters for one truck
Each time it was tested at the auto parts store;the solenoid activates but the starter motor doesn't spin. I have been able to start the truck each time by tapping on it with a hammer. Whether they test with a load or not isn't something I haven't paid attention to. I completely agree that something else is going on with the truck and I am tired of replacing starters.

Given the failure I am inclined to believe the no start condition is caused by worn brushes. Given then number of starters I have gone through, I think I can eliminate any internal (starter) issues that could be present, which leaves me with the truck. Overheating is usually due to excessive cranking but the truck fires within the first few seconds. The other condition that I can think of to cause worn brushes due to an external (truck) issue is a failure to disengage once the engine is running. I would like to believe that is something that would be audible and I would have noticed it but there is quite a bit of engine noise. I am going to test for that condition following the same logic as TSB 03-20-5.

If there are any suggestions I am all ears. Thanks for the input!

Last edited by jerkeife; 09-18-2019 at 05:18 AM.
post #5 of 10 Old 09-18-2019, 05:42 AM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Have the starters been reman? Brushes don’t engage or disengage. They’re typically sprung against the armature. Also, if tapping on the solenoid kicks it, there’s your problem area. Have you tried starting with a screwdriver?

I have to agree with @Hydro . Check batteries, make sure connections are tight, and most likely look over the cable. Look for obvious breaks and corrosion. Feel and lightly “bend” the cable to check for broken wires in the cable, specifically at the connectors.

OR

Take your meter and read the voltage going to the solenoid. Check the resistance through the cable.
post #6 of 10 Old 09-18-2019, 06:44 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjorgis5569 View Post
Have the starters been reman? Brushes don’t engage or disengage. They’re typically sprung against the armature. Also, if tapping on the solenoid kicks it, there’s your problem area. Have you tried starting with a screwdriver?

I have to agree with @Hydro . Check batteries, make sure connections are tight, and most likely look over the cable. Look for obvious breaks and corrosion. Feel and lightly “bend” the cable to check for broken wires in the cable, specifically at the connectors.

OR

Take your meter and read the voltage going to the solenoid. Check the resistance through the cable.
The ones from O Reilly were reman but the most recent from Napa was not. I realize brushes don't engage/disengage but the starter clutch does. I should have clarified that I can hear the solenoid engage and to start I tap on the motor housing, not the solenoid. I'll grab my meter and measure voltage at the starter.

Last edited by jerkeife; 09-18-2019 at 06:51 AM.
post #7 of 10 Old 09-18-2019, 02:54 PM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Garage
Back in the day, you could "tap" on a series wound starter to jar the brushes against the armature

-- but with todays permanent magnet motors, that is a good way to bust up the magnets

Really without taking the starter apart to see what is failing -- everything is just a guess

In my defense, I was unsupervised
2006 F250 Lariat FX4 cclb
Torque Pro and OBDLink MX bluetooth monitor
General note:
For all those wanting a premium silicone sealer Kubota 70000-73764 is the best your gonna find. This is a hybrid gray silicone that uses solvent rather than acid to start the curing reaction, this makes it safe for aluminum and and any surface that involves coolant.
post #8 of 10 Old 09-18-2019, 04:31 PM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,056 Times in 985 Posts
Mentioned: 200 Post(s)
Quoted: 2525 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Once you've checked there wiring as mentioned above, get one of these. https://cncfab.us/i-30497876-mahle-0...letr-ms52.html

You have not had good luck with starters on your 6.0, but you are the exception. Check all of the wiring and put a quality unit on it and you'll must probably fix the issue.
jokester00 likes this.

Dexter
2017 F-250 Lariat CCSB FX4 SRW- A few Forscan tweaks
My old Truck, now son's truck:
2004 F-250SD Lariat CCSB FX4 SRW; SCT X4 w/custom tunes (currently
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
SPD)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
FICM;
FICM Tuner (currently Atlas40);
Stage 1.5 Turbo;

Stage 1 HPOP;
VK688 Oil Cooler Relocate with coolant re-route;
Water Pump;

O-ringed Heads; ARP Studs; Fel-Pro Gaskets;
Coolant Filter;
DashCommand on PLX Kiwi2 + iMFD with EGT & Fuel/Oil Pressure
post #9 of 10 Old 09-19-2019, 04:45 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydro View Post
Back in the day, you could "tap" on a series wound starter to jar the brushes against the armature

-- but with todays permanent magnet motors, that is a good way to bust up the magnets

Really without taking the starter apart to see what is failing -- everything is just a guess
I agree. I'll grab some pictures of what I find inside when I get it apart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G8orFord View Post
Once you've checked there wiring as mentioned above, get one of these.

You have not had good luck with starters on your 6.0, but you are the exception. Check all of the wiring and put a quality unit on it and you'll must probably fix the issue.
Thanks for the link. I'll have to see what I find.
Hydro likes this.
post #10 of 10 Old Today, 11:24 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Took me a while to get back to this. Pulled apart the old starter and found some pretty gnarly wear between the brushes and the commutator. Unfortunately I wasn't able to find a reason for the wear. Chalk is up to poor parts I guess. I plan to periodically check the line in to the solenoid to see if there is an intermittent short that would cause the starter to remain engaged. Thanks for the help everyone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode