P0284 Code 2006 F350 6.0 Diesel 100K miles - Page 2 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 17 Old 09-06-2019, 11:15 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ed2hess View Post
I pumped out the fuel tank. There is a gritty substance on the wall that won't hardly come off with a brush. Seen some of this in the lower filter housing when cleaned it out. Is new tank my only option?
Is you tank a steel tank or plastic? The steel tanks delaminate and need to be replaced. The plastic ones should not have this kind of an issue unless you really got some bad fuel.

You need 45 psig even at WOT. Is yours an electronic gauge that you can monitor at WOT?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 17 Old 09-06-2019, 11:24 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
ficm repair.com sells on amazon too
post #13 of 17 Old 09-06-2019, 12:08 PM
Serving Our Country!

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
I find a little bit of grit on my fuel filters when I changed them, which is normal. With 10000 miles and 1000 gallons of diesel going through it, I think that would be fine. Has happened before and after I swapped my tank. When I swapped my tank, I found a black carbon substance caked up in the HFCM before the filter. The shop that changed my tank said it was regular to see that carbon build up and they thought it was from between the big tankers getting offloaded and the final delivery to the pumps a little of the carbon gets left in the diesel and the filter does its job to take out the few pieces of carbon left in the thousands of gallons that has went through the HFCM. So, without seeing the grit, I may think its normal. At first I thought the tank was delaminating and that is why I had it swapped, but I actually had the plastic tank which does not delaminate.

For things like saving money by swapping a board, that's not always a good idea with a shop doing that because usually the labor is many times the price of the parts, kind of like saving a hundred dollars on an oil cooler off a 10 hour shop job. Too much of a risk in saving a few dollars in the short run and biting you in the long run. I do think that as mentioned pulling it yourself and sending it to FICM.com may be good, if the FICM truly is bad. As far as measuring the FICM, you can do it without a monitor, but only with KOEO, and starting, but you can't do that driving down the road. It may have volts KOEO, starting, but drop while driving. Really need a monitor, but even with that, it can get you in the ballpark, but not to exactly where you want to go.

2005 F250, 189,000 Miles
Bullet Proof HD Oil Cooler w/ Cold Weather Kit, Bullet Proof EGR, Bulletproof Water Pump, 7.3 Fan Clutch
Airlift 5k Airbags and Wireless Air
Edge CTS w/ EGT probe and Fuel Pressure Sensor.
15 MPG slick; 10 MPG towing 11k fifth wheel
Ravelco

6.0 Flush Procedure:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Good 6.0 Reading:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ChrisSki For This Useful Post:
ed2hess (09-06-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 17 Old 09-06-2019, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKadair View Post
ficm repair.com sells on amazon too
I am saying that he doesn't need to buy one ...............

Get the existing one fixed. Basic repair is $350.

If the FICM is good - they won't charge you for an unnecessary repair - unless you want an upgrade for better future reliability for $100 more.

http://www.ficmrepair.com/index.cfm/...prod/prd24.htm
ed2hess likes this.

Last edited by bismic; 09-06-2019 at 12:47 PM.
post #15 of 17 Old 09-06-2019, 02:58 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Tank is steel. I seen a few short strings of black material and I think that is delam. This gritty stuff is like grit on rough sand paper. It is mainly above average diesel fuel level. None on bottom part of tank. I got all loose stuff vac up. I am going with as-is short term....filter should get that kind of debris. I will keep checking the filters. I never seen any plastic fuel tanks?
post #16 of 17 Old 09-06-2019, 03:34 PM

The chassis cab had a steel tank. the regular F-series all had plastic tanks and the coating would delaminate - especially if filled w/ bad fuel (water). These had "after the axle" fuel tanks. The filters should catch it, but you will most likely have low fuel pressure and/or restricted flow w/ it. Biodiesel was especially bad for the coating.

Last edited by bismic; 09-06-2019 at 03:42 PM.
post #17 of 17 Old 09-07-2019, 09:19 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
At this point I got almost 60psi.....I saw very little amount of that black delam at filter. Going to open up the water drain on pump next.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode