LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 08-23-2019, 07:16 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
fuel filter change question

Hey all,

I am new to the Powerstroke diesels and I am learning a lot, but ran into a question while changing the fuel filters today.

I started on top and added the Blue Spring upgrade from Sinister at the same time. The directions, as well as online videos, stated that I'd want to suck out the fuel from the filter bowl before pulling the old spring housing. But after I pulled the cap, it all drained out on its own. The rest of that part went as expected.

Then I moved to the filter under the frame rail. I backed out the water separator plug and it drained for a long time and just kept coming. I finally screwed it back in and pulled off the cap. Again, it just kept draining fuel. After I had caught more than half a gallon without seeing it slow down, I tossed in the new filter and closed it up.

Do I have an issue that should be addressed? Is there some sort of check valve that is not working?

Thanks

Edit: I should add that this is an '05 truck

Last edited by VashonFarmer; 08-23-2019 at 07:24 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 08-23-2019, 09:22 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
So, i've had my first diesel 6 months now, I've only changed my filters out once so far so i can give reference mostly, '05 f250. The water separator plug did take a while to completely drain, but it was a slow drain and not even a 1/4 of a gallon when complete. The rail fuel filter housing did drain some fuel but nothing like a 1/2 gallon+. There should be some loss, as the procedure requires you to prime the system again with the key a few times.
VashonFarmer likes this.
post #3 of 12 Old 08-24-2019, 08:26 AM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 439 Post(s)
Garage
I know with my '05, if I have a full tank (or close to), it will drain WAY more fuel (1-2 quarts) than if i'm below 1/2 tank. I usually try to time my fuel filter changes when i'm below 1/2 tank (closer to 1/4). Seems to drain a lot less (1/2 quart or so). I have also heard from others that if you're not on level ground, that can affect it as well, so I do mine on my level garage floor for that reason too. Plus, my wife LOVES the smell of diesel as it wafts into the house LOL

-jokester

2005 F350 CCLB FX4 Lariat
SCT SF3 - Currently running PHP 80hp Daily Driver Tune with Atlas 40 FICM Tune
Edge Insight CTS2 monitor
Edge EAS EGT probe
Edge EAS Fuel Pressure Sensor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 08-24-2019, 08:55 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks guys. I was on flat ground, but I had also just topped the tank. The good news is that after it's all back together and driving, everything seems just fine. Running great and I checked for any new DTC codes. All good. I'll try to time the next job with less in the tank.

I am glad I'm going thru all of this after picking up the truck. So far, all the filters I've swapped were cheap aftermarket. I'll go ahead and do the transmission soon.

Cheers
jokester00 likes this.
post #5 of 12 Old 08-24-2019, 09:12 AM
Premium Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by VashonFarmer View Post
Thanks guys. I was on flat ground, but I had also just topped the tank. The good news is that after it's all back together and driving, everything seems just fine. Running great and I checked for any new DTC codes. All good. I'll try to time the next job with less in the tank.

I am glad I'm going thru all of this after picking up the truck. So far, all the filters I've swapped were cheap aftermarket. I'll go ahead and do the transmission soon.

Cheers
Yup - try <1/2 tank next time and you should be good.

-jokester
Hydro and VashonFarmer like this.

Edge EAS EGT probe
post #6 of 12 Old 08-24-2019, 10:19 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Just something to watch for since I always tried to do my own fuel filter swaps also. I usually had a heck of a time getting the one on the frame all the way tight. The truck would be fine for any where from a few weeks to possibly a month or so then I would have trouble starting the truck. The filter on the frame would loosen just enough to start sucking air and giving me issues. Caused for many embarrassing trips to the shop for diagnosing a no start issue for something silly not to mention probably some harm to injectors with sucking air.

Not a huge issue but just something keep an eye on with doing your own changes.
VashonFarmer likes this.
post #7 of 12 Old 08-24-2019, 12:53 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbnw15 View Post
Just something to watch for since I always tried to do my own fuel filter swaps also. I usually had a heck of a time getting the one on the frame all the way tight. The truck would be fine for any where from a few weeks to possibly a month or so then I would have trouble starting the truck. The filter on the frame would loosen just enough to start sucking air and giving me issues. Caused for many embarrassing trips to the shop for diagnosing a no start issue for something silly not to mention probably some harm to injectors with sucking air.

Not a huge issue but just something keep an eye on with doing your own changes.
Thanks for that! It's those little things that make so much difference between a minor issue and a major PITA.
post #8 of 12 Old 08-24-2019, 12:54 PM
Premium Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by VashonFarmer View Post
Thanks for that! It's those little things that make so much difference between a minor issue and a major PITA.
And yet, another reason to have a fuel pressure gauge...

-jokester
letsmow10, Hydro and VashonFarmer like this.

Edge EAS EGT probe
post #9 of 12 Old 08-24-2019, 01:30 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jokester00 View Post
And yet, another reason to have a fuel pressure gauge...

-jokester
About that...

I am using DashCommand and still have a lot to learn about it. But I see that it has a PID for Fuel Rail pressure. Will that give me what I need to know, or is this about plugging into the fuel filter bowl with a real gauge?
post #10 of 12 Old 08-24-2019, 04:57 PM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Garage
The engine does not have a way to monitor fuel pressure natively -- so the easiest thing todo is an electronic pressure gauge and digital sender

There is a factory tap on the fuel bowl(10mm thread I think) -- others use a tapped fuel filter cap for the sender
jokester00 likes this.

In my defense, I was unsupervised
2006 F250 Lariat FX4 cclb
Torque Pro and OBDLink MX bluetooth monitor
General note:
For all those wanting a premium silicone sealer Kubota 70000-73764 is the best your gonna find. This is a hybrid gray silicone that uses solvent rather than acid to start the curing reaction, this makes it safe for aluminum and and any surface that involves coolant.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode