Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

How much of an '03 F-350 can I use in my '06?

899 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  GPrime2 
#1 ·
I have a bit of an interesting dilemma that I originally thought I had handled but now I'm not so sure. I have a 2006 F-350 cclb dually that I love but it has 225k miles or so on it and it's a NY truck that wasn't taken care of well for most of its life, so it has issues. Most recently it has begun stalling while hot (narrowed to fuel system but I haven't made it to leak testing yet) and blown head gaskets. I also happen to own a junkyard, which worked out well this week at auction when a rolled over 2003 F-350 supercab with the 6.0 came across the block and I was able to snag it for a bit over a grand. Not much is usable on it other than the drivetrain, and the miles weren't listed, so I figured I'd take the turbo stand and turbo off my engine, put it on this engine, put that in the truck, and be on my way.

Well I got the donor truck in today and reconnected the cut wires to get some power to the cluster, lo and behold it has 56k miles on it. Now I want to use as much of this thing mechanically as I can, the engine is so clean you could eat off it. So my question is this, how much of the '03 drivetrain will fit and work in my '06? I have the entire truck at my disposal. I work on a lot of euro stuff so I know for example I can take the DME, ignition switch, and CAS module from a bmw and put it in another similar bmw and it'll run without any security issues. What would I need to swap over in this truck to get the PCM to work, and if I get that far can I just swap the entire drivetrain as far back as the transfer case (since the driveshaft and rear end are different, the donor is extended cab SRW)? Pretty excited to dive into this thing, I just want to see how many 56k mile parts I can use on my truck.

See less See more
#2 ·
I maybe forgetting something, but I think as long as you extend the ICP harness to reach the location in the back instead of on the valve cover and use the '03 lower radiator hose, you can swap the whole engine over with no issue. You may need to swap the EBP sensor or modify the harness, I can't remember for sure.

You should know though, that the HPO system internal parts are quite different. The heads, rocker boxes, glow plugs and injectors are different as well. Not a problem with swapping it, but make sure any future owner knows that you've put an '03 engine in an '06 truck. It's probably a good idea to keep the VIN number of the '03 handy for future parts needs.

Reactions: jokester00
#3 ·
Most of that I was aware of, but thank you for the confirmation. I meant more in terms of the rest of the driveline. It looks like the transmissions are the same so I'm going to use the '03 trans in my '06 to shave 170k miles off of it lol. I'm not sure about the transfer case, the '03 is manual and the '06 is automatic, I'm not sure if I can/should either make my '06 manual or if I can put the t-case motor from my '06 on the '03 case. Will my PCM be happy with the '03 parts? I know the HPO system is different, but I think my '06 PCM should still run it correctly. Is that right?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.