4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 Old 07-24-2019, 04:41 AM Thread Starter
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Help: Random rough idle......??

My truck has been running great for the last year or so with no issues. I just happen to be 14 hours away from home this week with my family and our camper. Yesterday when we were just driving the truck around town, I came to a stop and noticed that the idle seemed a little higher than it should be.... strange. Took off from the light, and as I was cruising down the road and let off the gas the motor started idling super rough....chug, chug, chug. I got back on th gas....th motor smoothed out.....and no other issues all the way back to the camp site.

Unfortunately I didn't have my monitor hooked up at the time, but I did hook it up as soon as I got back to the campsite. Everything looks fine....IPR volts, hpop pressures, ficm voltage etc, etc. I scanned the ECU for codes... nothing, everything showing good.

I've put a few more miles on the truck since the funky rough idle incident...and haven't had any problems, but with a 14 hour drive home coming up this weekend with the camper....I'm nervous as hell.

Could it have just been some random fluke? Anything else I need to check??

Thanks for the help!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 07-28-2019, 04:03 PM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Garage
Interested in the outcome

Were you low on fuel at the time?

In my defense, I was unsupervised
2006 F250 Lariat FX4 cclb
Torque Pro and OBDLink MX bluetooth monitor
General note:
For all those wanting a premium silicone sealer Kubota 70000-73764 is the best your gonna find. This is a hybrid gray silicone that uses solvent rather than acid to start the curing reaction, this makes it safe for aluminum and and any surface that involves coolant.
post #3 of 24 Old 07-28-2019, 05:51 PM Thread Starter

Well, I had it do the rough idle thing one more time while slowing down at a stop sign. The IRP rate on my torque pro app was jumping all over the place. Once I got on the gas, the truck ran just fine.

I was nervous as hell....but the truck ran perfect on the 14 the drive home.

At this point, I don't really know how the troubleshoot the issue since it was so random....and only happened twice....and never gave any codes.

Could the IPR be getting "sticky" at low pressure levels (idle)? The ICP sensor is only a year old, along with the pigtail.

Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 Old 07-28-2019, 06:06 PM
Premium Member

Garage
There are 3 tracks on the throttle potentiometer -- I believe Torque can read those PIDs -- watch the readings as you stroke the pedal and see is they return to the same readings every time -- also stroke slowly and see if the readings go smoothly or "skip"

Check also Idle Validation -- should be on/off in the idle position

Can do all this with the engine off

And yeah, the IPR could be sticking -- fine metal particles cling to the coil armature and over time cause sticking -- they can sometimes be flushed out with solvent and a blast of air
Personally I would disassemble the IPR valve and clean it -- cant just snap vice grips on the valve and unscrew it tho, that would distort the valve and likely cause to bind more
Love to get my hands on a "failed" IPR for these engines -- I made a clamping spanner tool for the valves I use where I work to clean them as I described -- works well -- usually 12 PWM valves on the tranny -- cleanup after a failure sometimes requires multiple valves be replaced until all the junk is purged -- cleaning them saves a lot, but I digress
jokester00 likes this.

General note:
For all those wanting a premium silicone sealer Kubota 70000-73764 is the best your gonna find. This is a hybrid gray silicone that uses solvent rather than acid to start the curing reaction, this makes it safe for aluminum and and any surface that involves coolant.
post #5 of 24 Old 07-29-2019, 03:40 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydro View Post
There are 3 tracks on the throttle potentiometer -- I believe Torque can read those PIDs -- watch the readings as you stroke the pedal and see is they return to the same readings every time -- also stroke slowly and see if the readings go smoothly or "skip"

Check also Idle Validation -- should be on/off in the idle position

Can do all this with the engine off

And yeah, the IPR could be sticking -- fine metal particles cling to the coil armature and over time cause sticking -- they can sometimes be flushed out with solvent and a blast of air
Personally I would disassemble the IPR valve and clean it -- cant just snap vice grips on the valve and unscrew it tho, that would distort the valve and likely cause to bind more
Love to get my hands on a "failed" IPR for these engines -- I made a clamping spanner tool for the valves I use where I work to clean them as I described -- works well -- usually 12 PWM valves on the tranny -- cleanup after a failure sometimes requires multiple valves be replaced until all the junk is purged -- cleaning them saves a lot, but I digress
Thanks for the info. I'll go through today and check all of those PIDs and see what I get. I hate intermittent issues....so hard to troubleshoot. So far I've put 800 miles on the truck, and it hasn't acted up at all. Very odd....especially since it's not throwing any codes....and running great (except the two times I slowed down at a stop sign and go the rough/chug chug idle). I will let you what those PID's show.

Thanks again.
post #6 of 24 Old 07-29-2019, 02:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydro View Post
Interested in the outcome

Were you low on fuel at the time?
Nope, both times that it did it I was close to full on fuel. I drove the truck to work today....not a single hickup. The last time it acted up was on last Saturday morning.....900 miles ago. I hate these intermittent problems....I'd rather it just die on me so I can do some easy troubleshooting and fix the problem.
Hydro likes this.
post #7 of 24 Old 08-21-2019, 09:21 AM Thread Starter

**UPDATE**

Well, I put in a new ICP sensor a few weeks ago just for the heck of it. It's been a few weeks, and several hundred miles....and more more random "funky idle for a couple of seconds" type issues.......until today.

So, same as before.....I'm on the highway driving along. I let off the gas as I get off at the exit and start slowing down. And the motor does that "chug,chug,chug" type idle for 2-3 seconds.......and then it goes away and idles smoothly. It happened to fast, I couldn't catch any of the readings on the HPOP, ICP, IPR off of my Torque PRO app. Scanned the truck again with both Torque pro and Forscan...nothing. All it good.

It's frustrating tracking down stuff like this. I wish it would happen all the time, or do it when I'm at home and can spend some time looking at all the PID's.....but it only goes it when I'm out on the road, and just for a couple of seconds . Very odd.
post #8 of 24 Old 08-21-2019, 06:37 PM
Premium Member

Garage
Setup graph style gauges in Torque, that way you can glance at them when the problem happens

Can do the same in Forscan

Both will also "log" but I wouldn't want to parse all that unless the problem was popping up a lot

General note:
post #9 of 24 Old 08-23-2019, 02:31 PM Thread Starter

Exclamation

**UPDATE**

Well, the problem happened again today on the way home from work. And it did for a pretty long period of time, so I was able to get some numbers on the PID's and more info.

So as I was driving around 55mph, the truck felt like someone had just quickly pressed the gas pedal for a spit second...just a quick jerk. It did it a few more times after that. The Throttle Position PID reading stayed steady when this happened, right around 20%. So the ECU wasn't sensing that I was calling for more throttle.

Then after a few miles, I let off the gas to make a turn....and I noticed that as I let off the gas the injectors sounded a little funny, and the truck wanted to idle fast. It held the idle at around 920rpms (usually it's around 650), my IPR rate was at 34.0% (usually it's at 22.8 during idle), and my HPOP pressure was 640psi (usually it's around 580 at idle). FICM voltage was 49.0, and battery voltage was around 14.2v. Even after getting on the gas several times, every time I let off.....it would fast idle. But, the idle was smooth...not rough an erratic. Just a higher than normal idle. Could the IPR be sticking? Not sure why that would explain the weird injector sound though while I was off the gas and coasting.

I drove for a mile or so, and the truck just felt weird. Every time I would let off the gas and coast the injectors would sound weird (like every other one was off or something), and it would idle fast. When I would get on the gas, everything would sound normal......but it just felt odd.

Jut as I pulled in the driveway thinking I could finally do some troubleshooting......I feel the idle drop back down to normal, and everything is fine. I couldn't get it to duplicate it no matter what I tried. Like before, I scanned the ECU...no error codes.

With this new info, any ideas???

Thanks so much for the help guys!!

Last edited by iqraceworks; 08-23-2019 at 02:50 PM.
post #10 of 24 Old 08-23-2019, 03:16 PM
Serving Our Country!

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1573 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
check the ficm wire harness and three connector clips under the ficm. If you google you'll see common rub spots. mostly people get codes but not everytime.

Check the fuel filter drain on the frame: any water/crud come out?

sounds mostly IPR related. Also whats your trucks year and mods again? I didn't see a signature block.

-99 F250, 4X4, 6.0 trans cooler, 08 mirrors, 05 grill, AIS Intake, lvl kit, JW Vbody, cncfab hpop lines, WW2.

04 Excursion Modified, 04 F350 Modified, 06 F350 Modified

Interested in learning something new?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Justin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode