Help: Random rough idle......?? - Page 2 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 24 Old 08-23-2019, 03:27 PM Thread Starter
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Just changed both fuel filters a couple of days ago...they looked pretty clean. I change them both every 10,000 miles. The truck is pretty much stock except for the ARP studs, egr delete, blue spring mod, and the other standard stuff like the updated stand pipes and dummy plugs. Nothing crazy.

In the last couple of years I've replaced the ICP sensor (actually did that last week), put a new screen on the IRP, replaced the EBP sensor, and put a new pigtail on the ICP and IPR.

The think runs great except for the last month when I've had these odd issues.

I will go through the FICM plugs and make sure they are all seated good, and look for rub spots. Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 24 Old 08-24-2019, 04:12 AM Thread Starter

Well, when the truck was running and idling like normal....I climbed up on top and pressed around on the FICM connectors, wiggled the wiring loom around at every spot I could get to it, and pressed around on every connector and sensor I could find. Nothing.....no change in the idle, no change in rpm, no change in anything......

Could this be a faulty or sticking IRP?
post #13 of 24 Old 08-27-2019, 04:15 AM Thread Starter

Well...it did it again this morning. Driving down the road, let off the gas...and the motor revved up on it's own like I mashed the gas for a split second. It sure does act like an ICP sensor issue.

I wonder if there could be an issues with the pigtail or connector?? If I completely disconnect the ICP connector, it throws a code.........would a quick bad connection throw a code? That's the strangest part.......even after this thing does the high idle for a minute or two, and rough idle...and the "auto-rev" like this morning....no codes.

Maybe I will go back to the stock tune........I'm pretty sure that some of the "custom" tunes out there will suppress some of the codes the ECU tries to throw. Back when my turbo was sticking.....I would get a low boost code when running the stock tune, but no codes when running my IDP tunes.

I think I might go back to the stock tune....see if I get any codes that might help me out?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 24 Old 08-27-2019, 09:56 AM Thread Starter

**UPDATE**

Hopefully this might help with troubshooting.

So today during lunch, I decided to go out and sit in my truck to play with Forscan a little more. Just as it happens, as I was in my truck with it in park and idling nice and smooth (rpm:690, ICPv .86, IPR % 22.8, HPOP 580psi)........it started doing it's right idle thing.

The HPOP pressure was bouncing all over the place, the RPMs were bouncing all over the place, the Desired IPR rate was bouncing all over the place........but the ICP voltage was nice and smooth, almost not moving at all. With the HPOP pressure jumping around, shouldn't the ICP voltage have been jumping around also?

So was the truck just using the default ICP voltage because it had a funky ICP sensor connection? Maybe not a 100% break in the wire(s).....but a "less than idea" connection? Would that not set off a fault code? The truck was idling so rough, I thought it was going to die. The whole thing was shaking...it's never done it that bad before. I with I would have gotten a video of it all....but it stoped and went back to a smooth idle before I could get my phone out.

So.....what do you think?
post #15 of 24 Old 08-27-2019, 06:11 PM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Garage
Yes the IPC should have been with the other readings -- and yes, if the connection is flakey, but not failed, it could act that way without setting a code
possibly a bad sensor, connector, or wiring up to the PCM -- have you checked the main harness connector? where the engine harness connects to the body harness -- intermittent troubles are very difficult to pin down

For sure you need to run the stock tune when troubleshooting a problem -- as you mentioned, some tunes mess with the warnings

In my defense, I was unsupervised
2006 F250 Lariat FX4 cclb
Torque Pro and OBDLink MX bluetooth monitor
General note:
For all those wanting a premium silicone sealer Kubota 70000-73764 is the best your gonna find. This is a hybrid gray silicone that uses solvent rather than acid to start the curing reaction, this makes it safe for aluminum and and any surface that involves coolant.
post #16 of 24 Old 08-27-2019, 06:30 PM Thread Starter

I did end up unplugging the ICP sensor on the truck before I drove it home from work. Not a single issue at all. I'm going to drive to tomorrow with the ICP unplugged again....if it doesn't act up, I'm going to say it's an ICP wiring issue.
Hydro likes this.
post #17 of 24 Old 08-27-2019, 06:36 PM
Premium Member

Garage
What year is your truck? didn't see that at the start of this thread

General note:
For all those wanting a premium silicone sealer Kubota 70000-73764 is the best your gonna find. This is a hybrid gray silicone that uses solvent rather than acid to start the curing reaction, this makes it safe for aluminum and and any surface that involves coolant.
post #18 of 24 Old 08-27-2019, 06:40 PM Thread Starter

It's an 05'
post #19 of 24 Old 08-27-2019, 06:44 PM
Premium Member

Garage
Here is the engine wiring for that 05, maybe it will help chasing the wires
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Wiring Diagram - 2005 Powerstroke 6L - F-Series - Single Alt - Full.pdf (3.49 MB, 13 views)

General note:
post #20 of 24 Old 08-29-2019, 03:56 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the wiring diagram. I've driven the truck for 3 days now with the ICP unplugged....not a single issue. At this point, I think I found my problem.

My new Motorcraft pigtail should be in by this Saturday, I'll swap it out and see what happens.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode