17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 60 Old 07-23-2019, 11:09 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
05 F250 Turbo woes

05 F250 6.0L, 221K miles. EGR deleted a couple of years ago. Otherwise stock vehicle. Weeks ago I noticed the boost pressure would only get to about 10-12 psi. Since then the max pressure has decreased steadily. No codes throughout this time (verified with a friendís scan tool while diagnosing FICM issue). Fast forward to this morning; Check engine light is on and the max pressure now is 1-2 psi. I can still hear the turbo spinning, but itís not spinning like it used to (that what my ears tell me anyway). The vehicle runs fine, just doesn't "go".
First question is what scan tool should I buy. I hate to bother my friend with my problems and I need to get the codes to see if they are related at all to the turbo problem. Second question is do the above symptoms point to anything known?

When repairing the FICM issue mentioned above, I inspected the hot & cold side of the intake system and didnít find any cracks or holes.

Ryan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 60 Old 07-23-2019, 12:25 PM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryans Rebel View Post
05 F250 6.0L, 221K miles. EGR deleted a couple of years ago. Otherwise stock vehicle. Weeks ago I noticed the boost pressure would only get to about 10-12 psi. Since then the max pressure has decreased steadily. No codes throughout this time (verified with a friendís scan tool while diagnosing FICM issue). Fast forward to this morning; Check engine light is on and the max pressure now is 1-2 psi. I can still hear the turbo spinning, but itís not spinning like it used to (that what my ears tell me anyway). The vehicle runs fine, just doesn't "go".

First question is what scan tool should I buy. I hate to bother my friend with my problems and I need to get the codes to see if they are related at all to the turbo problem. Second question is do the above symptoms point to anything known?

When repairing the FICM issue mentioned above, I inspected the hot & cold side of the intake system and didnít find any cracks or holes.

Ryan
If you are sure you have no leaks in any boots or the inter cooler, pull the air intake tube from the turbo and check the shaft for any play. As for a code reader I would buy a bluetooth OBD2 adaptor and get the torque pro app on an android device. Also, I would check your up pipes to make sure you dont have an exhaust leak there. The bellows tend to blow on those also.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Hydro likes this.

2003 Excursion Limited 6.0 PSD 4x4 6" lift 35x12.50x20
KDD Long block, KDD O-ringed heads, Colt stage 2 cam, Mahle .020" pistons, ARP head studs,
OE oil cooler and LPOP. OdawgS3, HD up-pipes, Performace valve springs, 190/30 WDI, Marty's Reg return & NeverStranded v2 Fuel System, Adrenaline HPOP, TSD tunes, KC Stage2
post #3 of 60 Old 07-23-2019, 01:43 PM
Serving Our Country!

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 548 Post(s)
If you pull the air filter and spin the turbo, it should be a little "stiff" to start, but spin freely and quietly. Also, you should not be able to move it in and out and very, very little side to side. You can also check the exhaust gas manifolds where they meet the engine for black carbon. The carbon means they're leaking and at least mean gaskets need to be added.
Hydro likes this.

2005 F250, 189,000 Miles
Bullet Proof HD Oil Cooler w/ Cold Weather Kit, Bullet Proof EGR, Bulletproof Water Pump, 7.3 Fan Clutch
Airlift 5k Airbags and Wireless Air
Edge CTS w/ EGT probe and Fuel Pressure Sensor.
15 MPG slick; 10 MPG towing 11k fifth wheel
Ravelco

6.0 Flush Procedure:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Good 6.0 Reading:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 60 Old 07-24-2019, 12:05 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsmow10 View Post
If you are sure you have no leaks in any boots or the inter cooler, pull the air intake tube from the turbo and check the shaft for any play. As for a code reader I would buy a bluetooth OBD2 adaptor and get the torque pro app on an android device. Also, I would check your up pipes to make sure you dont have an exhaust leak there. The bellows tend to blow on those also.

How can I check the inter cooler for leaks? I will have a look at the up pipes tonight. I'll also remove the intake and check the shaft for play and see that it spins.

Ryan
post #5 of 60 Old 07-24-2019, 12:17 PM
Premium Member

Garage
Talking

Quote:
How can I check the inter cooler for leaks? I will have a look at the up pipes tonight. I'll also remove the intake and check the shaft for play and see that it spins.

Ryan
DTR in this video can explain it better than I can type it...

post #6 of 60 Old 07-25-2019, 07:07 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I visually checked the up pipes and don't see any problems. However, at the connection at the rear of the turbo I see a little black at the clamp (see pic). Would this indicate a leak?

Next i pulled the air filter and did a pressure check of the charge air system. To my surprise I found a crack on the plastic tube on the cold side. I visually inspected this very well, but not well enough obviously. Local dealer has on in stock. Any reason i should not stick with OEM?

Lastly, it appears that there is an oil leak that may be starting at the underside of the turbo. It that even possible? See pic.

Ryan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190724_200753523.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	170.9 KB
ID:	721081   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190724_210143190.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	174.1 KB
ID:	721083   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190724_200638627.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	171.2 KB
ID:	721085   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190724_200616204.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	154.6 KB
ID:	721087  
post #7 of 60 Old 07-25-2019, 08:27 AM
Serving Our Country!

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 548 Post(s)
For the black soot around the turbo downpipe, that would require loosening something like the band, wiggling it together, lightly tightening the band, and then wiggling it again, lightly tighten and repeat to seat the up pipe. That won't effect loss of boost, but it is an exhaust, but once the exhaust leaves the turbo to go down the tube, the exhaust's job of building boost is done. IMO, you can hold off on fixing this, depending on how much exhaust you're getting in the cab.

For the plastic broken pipe, it'd probably be worth the wait to order a metal one on line. When I replaced mine I went with metal. Maybe going with plastic, you'll get another 13 years out of the new plastic pipe. It's hard to visually inspect the whole thing, you just can;t see underneathit anyway.

For the leak, be sure to isolate it real well. It can be leaking from the turbo drain pipe either at the turbo ro where the drain tube enters the engine. When pulling mine, I always put new seals on, and one of the reasons I hate putting the turbo in so much is aligning the turbo oil drain tube. Oil leakks are so hard to find and among many other likey places it could be is the turbo oil feed tube or the oil pressure sensor or even the oil cooler O-Ring.

2005 F250, 189,000 Miles
Bullet Proof HD Oil Cooler w/ Cold Weather Kit, Bullet Proof EGR, Bulletproof Water Pump, 7.3 Fan Clutch
Airlift 5k Airbags and Wireless Air
Edge CTS w/ EGT probe and Fuel Pressure Sensor.
15 MPG slick; 10 MPG towing 11k fifth wheel
Ravelco

6.0 Flush Procedure:

Good 6.0 Reading:
post #8 of 60 Old 07-25-2019, 08:29 AM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,048 Times in 977 Posts
Mentioned: 198 Post(s)
Quoted: 2516 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I wouldn't put a plastic one back on it, I'd replace it with the metal pipe and boots from an '03-'04 year model. You might want to get the updated oil feed line while you're at it. The braided lines can fail internally and starve the turbo from oil.

Metal cold side pipe: 6C3Z 6C640 AA I believe it comes with boots and clamps, but you would need to verify that with @fordsvtparts or @voodooridr

Updated feed line: 3C3Z 9T516 A
Hydro likes this.

Dexter
2017 F-250 Lariat CCSB FX4 SRW- A few Forscan tweaks
My old Truck, now son's truck:
2004 F-250SD Lariat CCSB FX4 SRW; SCT X4 w/custom tunes (currently
SPD)

FICM;
FICM Tuner (currently Atlas40);
Stage 1.5 Turbo;

Stage 1 HPOP;
VK688 Oil Cooler Relocate with coolant re-route;
Water Pump;

O-ringed Heads; ARP Studs; Fel-Pro Gaskets;
Coolant Filter;
DashCommand on PLX Kiwi2 + iMFD with EGT & Fuel/Oil Pressure
post #9 of 60 Old 07-25-2019, 08:47 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 946 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Close, 6C3Z-6C646-A on the CAC
3C3Z-9T516-A is correct for the feed tube which reminds me I need to change mine

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

2004 F250 CCSB 4X4
4" Skyjacker lift
3:73 gears
35x12.5x18 Nitto Ridge Grapplers on Method MR309 wheels
KDD heads, ARP studs, BD exhaust manifolds, DieselSite up pipes, Mishimoto degas bottle
PHP Insight PRO
PHP Atlas 40 FICM tune
post #10 of 60 Old 07-25-2019, 09:13 AM
Premium Member

Garage
Quote:
I visually checked the up pipes and don't see any problems. However, at the connection at the rear of the turbo I see a little black at the clamp (see pic). Would this indicate a leak?

Next i pulled the air filter and did a pressure check of the charge air system. To my surprise I found a crack on the plastic tube on the cold side. I visually inspected this very well, but not well enough obviously. Local dealer has on in stock. Any reason i should not stick with OEM?

Lastly, it appears that there is an oil leak that may be starting at the underside of the turbo. It that even possible? See pic.

Ryan
I agree with everything thats been posted. Go with a metal pipe just to be safe. The oil leak is likely just o-rings leaking on the drain tube. I never reuse them when I pull a turbo because i just dont want to take the risk of then leaking. When you decide to fix that leak you will also be in a good position to fix the exhaust leak you have but as already mentioned that will not affect boost. Thats the busted CAC pipe causing that.

2003 Excursion Limited 6.0 PSD 4x4 6" lift 35x12.50x20
KDD Long block, KDD O-ringed heads, Colt stage 2 cam, Mahle .020" pistons, ARP head studs,
OE oil cooler and LPOP. OdawgS3, HD up-pipes, Performace valve springs, 190/30 WDI, Marty's Reg return & NeverStranded v2 Fuel System, Adrenaline HPOP, TSD tunes, KC Stage2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode