• 1 Post By Deer Creek

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 07-14-2019, 03:20 PM Thread Starter
Premium Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Chasing oil leak

Okay so being as OCD as I am, I came out one day and noticed a drop of oil. No biggie I thought; itís a 15 year old truck Iím due for a leak. I let it ride for a couple of months and the spot started getting bigger until after a trip to Virginia I noticed it dripping while its running. So I get under it and as usual dripping on passenger side over starter and down back of bell housing. Looked in Valley and seen wet oil. Looked for leeks didnít see any so I started digging into her. Thought it might be the oil drain pipe from the turbo, no dice. Pulled turbo and here is what the valley looked like.
Chasing oil leak-img_8139.jpg
Chasing oil leak-img_8140.jpg
Any ideas or pointers? Also does anyone have a trick to getting the turbo pedestal off with out removing the oil filter housing? Thanks in advance!

Ryan
Deer Creek Farm
Carthage, NC. 28327

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2004 F250 4X4 6.0 Diesel "War Wagon"
SRW Crew Cab Long Bed Pushing 305,000 Miles
Running 5w-40 T6 with RevX
FICM PHP Eco Tune
Blue Spring MOD
Warren 175/30 Injectors
EGR Deleted & Studded
Dieselsite Adrenaline HPOP
Coolant Filtration System
MBRP 4" Turbo Back Straight Pipe
Bullet Proof Diesel Water Pump
Ranch Hand's Legend Front & Rear Bumpers
2" Rough Country Lift
SCT X4 Tuner
Nitto Terra Grapler 285/75/16s

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 07-14-2019, 05:26 PM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Garage
Based on the intake manifold crossover piece back there, i'm guessing early model 04? If so, those ICP sensors are prone to leaking. Fortunately, with your turbo off, it should be easier to spot and change if that's the issue.

-jokester
Hydro likes this.

2005 F350 CCLB FX4 Lariat
ARP's with OEM gaskets
SCT SF3 - Currently running PHP 80hp Daily Driver Tune with Atlas 40 FICM Tune
Edge Insight CTS2 monitor
Edge EAS EGT probe
Edge EAS Fuel Pressure Sensor
DieselSite Coolant Filter
Blue Spring Upgrade
post #3 of 10 Old 07-14-2019, 09:48 PM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1239 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to backhoebill
A side point is that it appears to be a lot of soot on your intake, below your turbo-to-y pipe flange. If you get that sealed, it should run better. Check your oil pressure sender for leakage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jokester00, letsmow10 and Hydro like this.

'06 F250 4x4, 280,xxx hard miles, ARP studded and o-ringed, Bulletproof EGR cooler, IPR coolant filter, blue spring, CSF 6028 intercooler, KC S2R, 4" turbo back, SPD & Herc FICM tune, SCT Livewire, PI converter, occasional Archoil, Mobil 1 Synthetic, Cat elc, Warn bumper and 16.5 winch in front & aftermarket mystery bumper in rear, dent in floorboard under throttle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 07-18-2019, 10:37 AM Thread Starter
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jokester00 View Post
Based on the intake manifold crossover piece back there, i'm guessing early model 04? If so, those ICP sensors are prone to leaking. Fortunately, with your turbo off, it should be easier to spot and change if that's the issue.

-jokester

Jokester,

I checked the ICP sensor and IPR on the top back of the motor behind where the turbo mounts. They are both dry as a bone. I have oil in my valley just not sure if this is where the leak is coming from. Iím trying to clean everything up but I still canít find the culprit.

Ryan
Deer Creek Farm
Carthage, NC. 28327

FICM PHP Eco Tune
Blue Spring MOD
Warren 175/30 Injectors
EGR Deleted & Studded
2" Rough Country Lift
SCT X4 Tuner

post #5 of 10 Old 07-18-2019, 10:39 AM Thread Starter
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by backhoebill View Post
A side point is that it appears to be a lot of soot on your intake, below your turbo-to-y pipe flange. If you get that sealed, it should run better. Check your oil pressure sender for leakage.

BackhoeBill,

When you say oil pressure sender is that the same as the oil pressure sensor that is on top of the engine behind the oil filter housing?

Ryan
Deer Creek Farm
Carthage, NC. 28327

FICM PHP Eco Tune
Blue Spring MOD
Warren 175/30 Injectors
EGR Deleted & Studded
2" Rough Country Lift
SCT X4 Tuner

post #6 of 10 Old 07-18-2019, 03:48 PM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1239 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to backhoebill
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deer Creek View Post
BackhoeBill,

When you say oil pressure sender is that the same as the oil pressure sensor that is on top of the engine behind the oil filter housing?

Yes. My sender was leaking, so once I replaced it, it is much easier keeping my engine clean. Vivian from Quick Tricks posted a video of oil shooting up to the open hood from that sensor. So, I guess it isnít that uncommon. Mine just stayed wet always from the sender to the rear of the engine.

'06 F250 4x4, 280,xxx hard miles, ARP studded and o-ringed, Bulletproof EGR cooler, IPR coolant filter, blue spring, CSF 6028 intercooler, KC S2R, 4" turbo back, SPD & Herc FICM tune, SCT Livewire, PI converter, occasional Archoil, Mobil 1 Synthetic, Cat elc, Warn bumper and 16.5 winch in front & aftermarket mystery bumper in rear, dent in floorboard under throttle
post #7 of 10 Old 07-19-2019, 10:51 AM
Serving Our Country!

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 543 Post(s)
Did you see the oil leak out of the turbo as you pulled it? You have oil on top of the turbo pedestal that may lead me to believe it's leaking there. Also, I found it very difficult to get the turbo drain tube aligned with the turbo, so perhaps it was something like that.

2005 F250, 189,000 Miles
Bullet Proof HD Oil Cooler w/ Cold Weather Kit, Bullet Proof EGR, Bulletproof Water Pump, 7.3 Fan Clutch
Airlift 5k Airbags and Wireless Air
Edge CTS w/ EGT probe and Fuel Pressure Sensor.
15 MPG slick; 10 MPG towing 11k fifth wheel
Ravelco

6.0 Flush Procedure:

Good 6.0 Reading:
post #8 of 10 Old 07-20-2019, 08:59 AM Thread Starter
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisSki View Post
Did you see the oil leak out of the turbo as you pulled it? You have oil on top of the turbo pedestal that may lead me to believe it's leaking there. Also, I found it very difficult to get the turbo drain tube aligned with the turbo, so perhaps it was something like that.

Thatís just where the oil drained out once I lifted of the tube.

Ryan
Deer Creek Farm
Carthage, NC. 28327

FICM PHP Eco Tune
Blue Spring MOD
Warren 175/30 Injectors
EGR Deleted & Studded
2" Rough Country Lift
SCT X4 Tuner

post #9 of 10 Old 07-20-2019, 09:06 AM Thread Starter
Premium Member

Okay status update;

Cleaned everything and dried all the oil up. Canít pin point where itís coming from. Tighten up all the valve cover bolts, checked glow plugs and block heater for leakage ( none found ). Figured I would put it all back together, and watch it run for a while to see if I can see where it starts.

Two questions;

1) During reassembly my pigtail that goes to my oil pressure sensor (oil sending unit) came off. By came off I mean at the wiring harness. Not really sure if I need it because my understanding is it just controls the idiot gage on the dash. I read pressure from my Programer. Can anyone tell me where on the wiring harness it splices into?

2) Does anyone know if the 6.0ís have the oil drain plug on the back of the heads like the 7.3ís?

Thanks,

Ryan
Deer Creek Farm
Carthage, NC. 28327

FICM PHP Eco Tune
Blue Spring MOD
Warren 175/30 Injectors
EGR Deleted & Studded
2" Rough Country Lift
SCT X4 Tuner

post #10 of 10 Old 07-20-2019, 11:06 AM Thread Starter
Premium Member

Chasing oil leak

Status update two;

Yes the wiring to the oil pressure sensor (oil sending unit) did make my idiot gage lay flat but......... it also gave me a red check gage light on the dash so thatís a NO GO! Iíve got to find out where I wire that thing back into the wiring harness because that check gage light will drive me nuts!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyone have any ideas where that thing splices into the harness at?

On a GOOD note she fired right up without hesitation. I installed that ICP relocation kit while I was in there and I thought maybe it would have to purge some of the air out of the hose but she fired right up. So now it takes about 30 seconds to change my ICP.

Chasing oil leak-img_8166.jpg
backhoebill likes this.

Ryan
Deer Creek Farm
Carthage, NC. 28327

FICM PHP Eco Tune
Blue Spring MOD
Warren 175/30 Injectors
EGR Deleted & Studded
2" Rough Country Lift
SCT X4 Tuner

Last edited by Deer Creek; 07-20-2019 at 11:38 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode