• 1 Post By Hydro

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 07-08-2019, 01:51 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
ICP High when AC is ON

I need some Help. I have tried searching but can not find any connection between the ICP and AC being on

I have a 2005 F350 6.0 Oil, Oil filter both Fuel filter, and blue spring changed 750 mils ago.

just spent the entire weekend using the truck pulling a boat with no issues.

Going to lunch at a drive thru, i cut the truck off to order restarted the truck 1min later and it stated stumbling and missing sounding bad. put in Neutral and reved it up slightly and still sounded terrible.

I pulled around to the front got my food and drove it back to work.

It sounded terrible, did not feel like it had any power and did not have any boost. I drove it maybe a mile back to work, parked it and let it sit for a few 3 hours.

I just went out to restart it and check it.

when i restarted it sounded terrible. NO CEL i have a Scan Gauge II and volts, FICM temps are all good.

The ICP is very high at idle around 4200.

now the Kicker: i turned the AC off no change, Turned the truck off and restarted with the AC off and idles smooth as before and ICP is just shy of 600.

As soon as i turned the AC on the ICP jumps up and idles very rough and sound terrible.

Any idea of when the AC is causing the ICP to jump and making run bad

Any advise will be Very appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-08-2019, 02:41 PM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Garage
AC should not have anything todo with the engine running -- tho check the driver side battery connections, that is where most of the accessory power comes from

Just for giggles, disconnect the vistronic fan connector and try again -- the fan is commanded on a little when the AC is turned on -- there may be a bare wire in the harness taking down the vref or 5 volt power
john galt likes this.

In my defense, I was unsupervised
2006 F250 Lariat FX4 cclb
Torque Pro and OBDLink MX bluetooth monitor
General note:
For all those wanting a premium silicone sealer Kubota 70000-73764 is the best your gonna find. This is a hybrid gray silicone that uses solvent rather than acid to start the curing reaction, this makes it safe for aluminum and and any surface that involves coolant.
post #3 of 7 Old 07-08-2019, 04:02 PM
california deplorable

Mentioned: 428 Post(s)
Quoted: 3079 Post(s)
also i had the thought that perhaps the compressor pump is starting to lock up and cause a drag the ecm is compensating for?
just a thought

I like mead
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

early 04 f350 6.0 cclb lariat sr
Bulletproof oil &egr, elc, sct x3, edge CTS, afe intake, blue spring, t-500, MTW stage 2, Vivians looney, 305 x55x20 bfg at ko's, 4 inch cat back, 4"BDS fox shocks and steering stabilizer, tri pilar gauge set, coolant filter, riff raff boots, new headliner, 7 inch touch screen w/back up, new carpet, near whole new interior,

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

FederalOwnershipRespectfullyDeclined

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 07-08-2019, 06:44 PM
Premium Member

Garage
As a test disconnect the AC clutch wire and then run the AC system -- see if the problem still exists
john galt likes this.

General note:
For all those wanting a premium silicone sealer Kubota 70000-73764 is the best your gonna find. This is a hybrid gray silicone that uses solvent rather than acid to start the curing reaction, this makes it safe for aluminum and and any surface that involves coolant.
post #5 of 7 Old 07-09-2019, 07:36 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thank yall, very Much for the help.

I will try your advise and let yall know.

I left the batteries disconnected all night and after connecting them this morning, i could not get it to do it again.

Drove the truck to work around 6 easy miles with the AC on and as soon as i go to park it the ICP goes to around 4200 and truck sounds terrible. Shut the truck off turn the AC off restart and it settled back down.
post #6 of 7 Old 07-10-2019, 10:54 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thank yall very much for the help.

I am still having the same issue after unplugging the AC compressor and the fan (it is the plug on the fan shroud slightly off center towards the driver side?)

Some times especially in the morning while the truck is cold everything works properly, but any time in the afternoon after the truck is warm it tends to do it more.

I am going to try and attach some picstures of the IPR, ICP, ICV and VLts

but for now these are my reading- this is warm idle started with NO AC sounding normal
VLT-12.9
IPR- 19.9
ICP- 581
ICV-0.86

This is warm idle with AC ON not running correctly
VLT-13.2
IPR- 59.7
ICP- 4338
ICV-4.80

Thank yall for the Help- i am still learning about the High Pressure oil system, but is is possible that just the slight voltage change from the AC being kicked on causes the Injection Pressure regulator to get stuck open? What tells the IPR to change?

i am tempted to change the IPR just do not understand why it does not change when i turn ON the blower fan or head lights. Tends to be just when the AC is turned on, I have had the HPO system spike a few times for like 2 secs with the AC OFF.

If the truck is running and your turn the AC on it causes the HPO to go up but if you turn the AC off it does not go back down you have to turn the truck off and restart it with the AC off
post #7 of 7 Old 07-10-2019, 03:08 PM
Premium Member

Garage
"...the Injection Pressure regulator to get stuck open? What tells the IPR to change?"

The IPR is a dump for the high pressure oil … so open would be less not more -- here is the kicker tho, the screen on the IPR valve can become clogged and cause high pressure -- also the IPR has 12 volts present at one pin with the key on and ground is supplied by the PCM ...pulse modulated
To the second question, the PCM uses feedback from the ICP sensor to "know" how much pressure is in the rails -- the PCM then commands the IPR(via the ground) to close more, or less -- the IPR is open by default(tho some versions will hold about 200 psi)

May want to try and get voltage readings from the IPR circuit with a voltmeter or test light -- a breakout pigtail would be best, but a paper clip or "T" pin will also work, the vid below gives some detail -- with a test light hooked to ground, one of the wires will have 12 volts, the other would be ground -- now move the clip on the test light to the battery + post, the ground wire in the IPR connector should barely make the light glow -- with the backpin in place and clear of danger, start the engine -- as the IPR is commanded for more pressure, the light will glow stronger

Conclusion: if yours while the IPC is showing 4000+ psi is not brighter, then the IPR is not being "commanded" to close more making that pressure -- make sense?

General note:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode