Oil in coolant and dies while driving - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 07-07-2019, 10:49 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Oil in coolant and dies while driving

2006 f350 had all the updates and was rebuilt and studded 75k mi ago. Recently I noticed at wot while pulling a trailer sometimes my ipr would hit 85% then back off down around 70. Then a couple days later I noticed a thin layer of oil sitting on top of my coolant in degas bottle. Today I was driving down the road ipr went to 85% and truck died. Would not restart for about an hour then fired right up and I drove it home. Got home and shut truck off and fired right back up did this a couple times and started up every time. I didn’t know if maybe an oil cooler could be causing this issue? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 07-08-2019, 04:34 AM Thread Starter

Bump......
post #3 of 11 Old 07-08-2019, 05:32 AM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,047 Times in 976 Posts
Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 2512 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I'd say you have two separate problems. The oil in the coolant is likely due to a ruptured oil cooler, but that in itself would not cause the truck to die or not start. The 85% IPR reading, the engine dying and the no start hot, points to a HPO system leak.
Hydro likes this.

Dexter
2017 F-250 Lariat CCSB FX4 SRW- A few Forscan tweaks
My old Truck, now son's truck:
2004 F-250SD Lariat CCSB FX4 SRW; SCT X4 w/custom tunes (currently
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
SPD)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
FICM;
FICM Tuner (currently Atlas40);
Stage 1.5 Turbo;

Stage 1 HPOP;
VK688 Oil Cooler Relocate with coolant re-route;
Water Pump;

O-ringed Heads; ARP Studs; Fel-Pro Gaskets;
Coolant Filter;
DashCommand on PLX Kiwi2 + iMFD with EGT & Fuel/Oil Pressure
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 07-08-2019, 05:44 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by G8orFord View Post
I'd say you have two separate problems. The oil in the coolant is likely due to a ruptured oil cooler, but that in itself would not cause the truck to die or not start. The 85% IPR reading, the engine dying and the no start hot, points to a HPO system leak.

So there’s no way the ruptured oil cooler could cause the hpo leak? Bc I started noticing the 85% ipr about the same time as the oil in coolant. Within a couple days
post #5 of 11 Old 07-08-2019, 06:11 AM
Premium Member

Garage
No way that I know of. They are two independent systems.

Both failures could be related though. If your oil temps were skyrocketing the increased heat could have lead to early oil cooler failure and to a questionable oring failing early as well. Just one scenario though.

Also, you may not have an HPO leak. It could be a bad IPR valve or a plugged screen. Possibly other things as well. With the symptoms you stated, the leak just seems to be the most likely.

For that matter, the oil in the coolant may be from a different source too. The cooler is the most likely culprit, but it could be from a bad gasket somewhere. Are you sure it's motor oil? The transmission cooler in the radiator can rupture too. If that's the problem, you'll also be doing transmission repair sooner than you might have wanted to. Water in the trans fluid will cause the friction material to delaminate from the bands and clutches.

Dexter
SPD)

FICM;
Stage 1.5 Turbo;

Stage 1 HPOP;
Water Pump;

Coolant Filter;
post #6 of 11 Old 07-08-2019, 07:06 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
No way that I know of. They are two independent systems.

Both failures could be related though. If your oil temps were skyrocketing the increased heat could have lead to early oil cooler failure and to a questionable oring failing early as well. Just one scenario though.

Also, you may not have an HPO leak. It could be a bad IPR valve or a plugged screen. Possibly other things as well. With the symptoms you stated, the leak just seems to be the most likely.

For that matter, the oil in the coolant may be from a different source too. The cooler is the most likely culprit, but it could be from a bad gasket somewhere. Are you sure it's motor oil? The transmission cooler in the radiator can rupture too. If that's the problem, you'll also be doing transmission repair sooner than you might have wanted to. Water in the trans fluid will cause the friction material to delaminate from the bands and clutches.
My oil temp has always stayed within 5 to 10 degree of my coolant since the oil cooler was replaced and still stays within those limits right now. What other seals or gaskets could be related to oil getting in the coolant? No coolant is blowing out of cap top of degas bottle is clean as well. It is a 6 spd and I’m 99% sure that it’s motor oil. Thank you for your help
post #7 of 11 Old 07-08-2019, 09:32 AM
Premium Member

Garage
Was the oil cooler replaced with the other updates? Did they use a OEM Ford cooler and gaskets? If a Dorman was used, the gasket has probably deteriorated. They can turn to goo and clog the HPOP screen. That could possibly explain both problems. I'm not sure the gasket I'm talking about would allow oil in the coolant, but it's possible some of the other seals could be equally deficient.
kaya likes this.

Dexter
SPD)

FICM;
Stage 1.5 Turbo;

Stage 1 HPOP;
Water Pump;

Coolant Filter;

Last edited by G8orFord; 07-09-2019 at 05:22 AM.
post #8 of 11 Old 07-20-2019, 12:33 PM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Quote:
Was the oil cooler replaced with the other updates? Did they use a OEM Ford cooler and gaskets? If a Dorman was used, the gasket has probably deteriorated. They can turn to goo and clog the HPOP screen. That could possibly explain both problems. I'm not sure the gasket I'm talking about would allow oil in the coolant, but it's possible some of the other seals could be equally deficient.

Heís right. I swapped out an oil cooler years ago and thought I would save a few bucks and go with a Dorman. I wound up having to replace it within 6-8 months. So for the last few years itís been all OEM parts/filters/gaskets and no problems. The only thing better than Ford oil cooler in my opinion would be BPD Air to oil cooler relocation kit.

Ryan
Deer Creek Farm
Carthage, NC. 28327

2004 F250 4X4 6.0 Diesel "War Wagon"
SRW Crew Cab Long Bed Pushing 305,000 Miles
Running 5w-40 T6 with RevX
FICM PHP Eco Tune
Blue Spring MOD
Warren 175/30 Injectors
EGR Deleted & Studded
Dieselsite Adrenaline HPOP
Coolant Filtration System
MBRP 4" Turbo Back Straight Pipe
Bullet Proof Diesel Water Pump
Ranch Hand's Legend Front & Rear Bumpers
2" Rough Country Lift
SCT X4 Tuner
Nitto Terra Grapler 285/75/16s

post #9 of 11 Old 07-20-2019, 10:15 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 327 Post(s)
Quoted: 681 Post(s)
The Dorman coolers themselves are actually decent. It's the gaskets that are garbage.
The Dorman has larger coolant passages than oem, so much less likely to plug.
The larger passages do, however, yield higher deltas. But nothing that would cause issues, imo.

If i were to go Dorman, I'd just buy oem gaskets...

Or you could just go with oem and run ec1 coolant

The greater danger for most of us lies not in setting our aim too high and falling short; but in setting our aim too low, and achieving our mark.
-Michelangelo
post #10 of 11 Old 07-21-2019, 05:04 AM
Premium Member

Garage
From some of the temps I've seen listed with the Dorman coolers, I'd be a little concerned under heavy load conditions and towing with one. I don't believe I've heard of a rupture or clogging issue with a Dorman though, and daily driving it shouldn't be an issue as long as you doubt use the included gaskets. JMO

Dexter
SPD)

FICM;
Stage 1.5 Turbo;

Stage 1 HPOP;
Water Pump;

Coolant Filter;
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode