• 2 Post By LoxDiesel

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 05-14-2019, 08:52 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
HPOP Gurgle

Got a 2006 with a crank no start. Suspect the HPO system being that I get 85% IPR and 0 ICP on my Scangauge. So I torn in to check for leaks. With shop air in ICP port I don’t hear any leaks expect a gurgling noise from the HPOP area with the IPR Valve in but not energized. Didn’t have enough hands to energize IPR. My question is, is that normal? I have the updated pump connection and what I can see of the branch tubes look in okay shape.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 05-15-2019, 08:45 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keegan Kamuf View Post
Got a 2006 with a crank no start. Suspect the HPO system being that I get 85% IPR and 0 ICP on my Scangauge. So I torn in to check for leaks. With shop air in ICP port I don’t hear any leaks expect a gurgling noise from the HPOP area with the IPR Valve in but not energized. Didn’t have enough hands to energize IPR. My question is, is that normal? I have the updated pump connection and what I can see of the branch tubes look in okay shape.
Yeah, that could be normal or not. The IPR valve doesn't close completely, and allows air to pass. The best way is to screw one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

into the IPR socket and apply air. They say you can easily pull the IPR by pulling the FICM hold down nuts and screws and sliding one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

with an extension and universal joint under the FICM. I've done it, but it wasn't easy with my big hands. I had to pull the FICM (at the least) to get it back in.

Has the STC fitting on this vehicle been upgraded?
post #3 of 8 Old 05-15-2019, 11:01 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I do have the undated STC fitting. I’ve got down to the pump itself, removed turbo, valve covers, wire loom etc. so no problems getting to everything. I went a head and ordered all new pump seals, dummy plugs, stand pipes, nipple o-rings, and injectors. Figured now was a good time being I was this deep. I just don’t know if my pump actually had a leak itself. Thank you for the links. Think I’ll go ahead and air test the ipr before I get everything put back together.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 05-21-2019, 08:27 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Update: I got the fitting and tested the high pressure oil system. All that I could hear was a leak coming from the pump area. I took it out and assumed it was the smaller o-ring under the output. It didnít look ripped but looked to be flat and almost flush with the branch tube connection. So while I was in the motor I did injectors and everything I was seeing seemed to be in good shape and of no concerns. So just out of curiosity I decided to blow shop air in the pump and spin it as Iíve seen in videos of to determine a bad pump. Well Iím glad I did because I was going to go back in with the pump but I think itís time for a new one. If I knew how to upload the video I would but Iíll leave a picture. The leak I was hearing was coming from the seal area around the drive shaft of the pump. In the picture you can see oil being blown up from the area. Sorry if thatís a terrible explanation. The video would do a much better. HPOP Gurgle-img_0178.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #5 of 8 Old 05-22-2019, 06:29 AM
Love all, Trust a Few...

Mentioned: 347 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Hmm. Thats rare for an 05 pump. How are your oil temps? Honestly looks like its been hot.

@loxdce
post #6 of 8 Old 05-22-2019, 06:32 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoxDiesel View Post
Hmm. Thats rare for an 05 pump. How are your oil temps? Honestly looks like its been hot.

This happened second time driving the truck under easy driving conditions. I got myself into what appears someone else mess. For the oil temp Iím not sure as I donít have a monitor or gauge.

post #7 of 8 Old 05-22-2019, 03:57 PM
Love all, Trust a Few...

Mentioned: 347 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keegan Kamuf View Post
This happened second time driving the truck under easy driving conditions. I got myself into what appears someone else mess. For the oil temp Iím not sure as I donít have a monitor or gauge.

First rule of having a 6.0. Monitor... 2nd rule for having a 6.0. Monitor. Third rule for having a 6.0.... M O N I T O R... so much catastrophe can be avoided. As well as breakdowns.

Hydro and Keegan Kamuf like this.

@loxdce
post #8 of 8 Old 05-22-2019, 04:59 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoxDiesel View Post
First rule of having a 6.0. Monitor... 2nd rule for having a 6.0. Monitor. Third rule for having a 6.0.... M O N I T O R... so much catastrophe can be avoided. As well as breakdowns.

First 6.0. Coming from Duramax and Iím staring to see that. For sure will be investing in some quality gauges.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode