05 Rough Idle and no codes...so far - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 04-16-2019, 02:58 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
05 Rough Idle and no codes...so far

I have an 05 F250 with 210k on the clock. Went out to start the truck this morning and it fired right up but I could immediately tell it sounded off. I let it idle for a couple minutes like I do every morning and the idle got rougher and rougher to the point where it sounded like it was going to try and die. I gave the throttle a couple blips to see if that would kill it or what would happen and it seemed to do fine but as it would come back to idle it was back to the same old rough idle, trying to die deal again. I shut it off and hopped into my winter beater cause the last thing I needed this morning was to be broke down on the road at 4:30AM. I checked for some codes while it was running and I could not find any, I was just using my monitor to pull them and I don't trust it all the time. The truck has half a tank of fuel at the moment.

I have a scan gauge I will hook up to it later tonight and get more values that I know everyone is going to be asking for and report back with them when I can. I would also like to know what values and stats would be useful for the masterminds of this forum to try and lead me over the internet.

I'm hoping at this point that it is possibly the fuel pump or something close to simple to fix since I am needing the truck for planting and spraying at the moment. It's super inconvenient to be down a truck for that long at this time of year. Thanks for any help guys

2005 F250 SRW Crew Cab
AFE Cold Air Intake, KC Stage 2 Turbo, ARP Studs, 4" turbo back exhaust, and SCT with TSD tunes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 04-16-2019, 03:26 AM
TNF
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I'm definitely not a mastermind, since I have an '05 with similar symptoms that I can't figure out.... but when was the last time you changed your fuel filters? Could they be plugged up and restricting your fuel flow? That would be my first instinct. Hopefully a 6.0 Genius will give you better input.

Good Luck,

TNF
post #3 of 11 Old 04-16-2019, 03:29 AM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbnw15 View Post
I have an 05 F250 with 210k on the clock. Went out to start the truck this morning and it fired right up but I could immediately tell it sounded off. I let it idle for a couple minutes like I do every morning and the idle got rougher and rougher to the point where it sounded like it was going to try and die. I gave the throttle a couple blips to see if that would kill it or what would happen and it seemed to do fine but as it would come back to idle it was back to the same old rough idle, trying to die deal again. I shut it off and hopped into my winter beater cause the last thing I needed this morning was to be broke down on the road at 4:30AM. I checked for some codes while it was running and I could not find any, I was just using my monitor to pull them and I don't trust it all the time. The truck has half a tank of fuel at the moment.

I have a scan gauge I will hook up to it later tonight and get more values that I know everyone is going to be asking for and report back with them when I can. I would also like to know what values and stats would be useful for the masterminds of this forum to try and lead me over the internet.

I'm hoping at this point that it is possibly the fuel pump or something close to simple to fix since I am needing the truck for planting and spraying at the moment. It's super inconvenient to be down a truck for that long at this time of year. Thanks for any help guys
Lets start with the simple questions. Was the truck up to operating temp? When were the injectors changed? How many miles since last oil change? What kind of oil? Is this the first time it has happened? Sounds like some stiction maybe.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

2003 Excursion Limited 6.0 PSD 4x4 6" lift 35x12.50x20
KDD Long block, KDD O-ringed heads, Colt stage 2 cam, Mahle .020" pistons, ARP head studs,
OE oil cooler and LPOP. OdawgS3, HD up-pipes, Performace valve springs, 190/30 WDI, Marty's Reg return & NeverStranded v2 Fuel System, Adrenaline HPOP, TSD tunes, KC Stage2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 04-16-2019, 03:31 AM
Premium Member

Garage
*disclaimer* not a mastermind. Take any advice at your own risk.

KDD Long block, KDD O-ringed heads, Colt stage 2 cam, Mahle .020" pistons, ARP head studs,
OE oil cooler and LPOP. OdawgS3, HD up-pipes, Performace valve springs, 190/30 WDI, Marty's Reg return & NeverStranded v2 Fuel System, Adrenaline HPOP, TSD tunes, KC Stage2
post #5 of 11 Old 04-16-2019, 10:17 AM Thread Starter

No it was the first start of the day, the truck had been sitting overnight. Fuel filters were changed roughly 2-3 months ago.Oil change was about 2500 miles ago. I had new ford injectors put in about 4 years ago, roughly 70-80k miles ago. I have never had this issue happen before. Ford filters and oil.

I have been having some low fuel issues (i.e. running out of fuel with a quarter tank still showing on the gauge.) lately but after some research on here and asking around I've deduced that my draw straw for the fuel tank is busted and therefore not able to suck the tank dry.

2005 F250 SRW Crew Cab
AFE Cold Air Intake, KC Stage 2 Turbo, ARP Studs, 4" turbo back exhaust, and SCT with TSD tunes.
post #6 of 11 Old 04-16-2019, 10:47 AM
Premium Member

Garage
Quote:
No it was the first start of the day, the truck had been sitting overnight. Fuel filters were changed roughly 2-3 months ago.Oil change was about 2500 miles ago. I had new ford injectors put in about 4 years ago, roughly 70-80k miles ago. I have never had this issue happen before. Ford filters and oil.

I have been having some low fuel issues (i.e. running out of fuel with a quarter tank still showing on the gauge.) lately but after some research on here and asking around I've deduced that my draw straw for the fuel tank is busted and therefore not able to suck the tank dry.
The quarter tank issue is for sure the straw. I would personally put a sump in it and not have to worry about that once you get the other issue figured out. The running out of fuel may have giving you some injector issues though. Im sure others will be coming along with more questions and help. Get some icp, ficm, ipr numbers at a minimum and post them up.

post #7 of 11 Old 04-16-2019, 03:20 PM Thread Starter

Thinking IPR related

Alright folks, I got home after work and hooked the scangauge up to the truck. KOEO my FICM was reading 48.5V, IPR was reading some negative in the 3,000 range, my SYNC was a 0, and my HPR (which I don't remember what that was when I setup the scan gauge) was reading but I don't remember what.

I started the truck after sitting all day still and it fired right off but could tell something was off. As it ran the FICM was holding steady at 48V to 48.5V really only fluctuating during the crank to start the truck. The IPR was up to I believe 3,000+, and the HPR was in single digits I believe. Sorry I was trying to watch all the numbers and didn't pay close enough attention to any of them like a fool. As I allowed the truck to idle it did what it did this morning and continue to run rougher and rougher, as this happened I was able to watch the IPR go from 2400+ down to 2200+ down to 1900+ and so on. I shut the truck off and now it will not start. I get some hard cranks and everything but no fire. The IPR won't get above 2200 now during cranks.

So if my looking around on the old interweb is correct I may have a plugged screen or a bad IPR correct? Could it be worse than that? Is this just the tip of the iceberg? If it is just as simple as switching or cleaning the IPR how big of a job is that? I'm not exactly helpless on wrenching but I am by no means a competent engine builder either, probably closer to helpless lol.

Thanks for any help and suggestions guys. I will also be contacting the diesel shop that helped me track down my bad intercooler last year and see what kind of phone diagnosis I can get tomorrow also.

2005 F250 SRW Crew Cab
post #8 of 11 Old 04-16-2019, 04:36 PM
Premium Member

Garage
Quote:
Alright folks, I got home after work and hooked the scangauge up to the truck. KOEO my FICM was reading 48.5V, IPR was reading some negative in the 3,000 range, my SYNC was a 0, and my HPR (which I don't remember what that was when I setup the scan gauge) was reading but I don't remember what.

I started the truck after sitting all day still and it fired right off but could tell something was off. As it ran the FICM was holding steady at 48V to 48.5V really only fluctuating during the crank to start the truck. The IPR was up to I believe 3,000+, and the HPR was in single digits I believe. Sorry I was trying to watch all the numbers and didn't pay close enough attention to any of them like a fool. As I allowed the truck to idle it did what it did this morning and continue to run rougher and rougher, as this happened I was able to watch the IPR go from 2400+ down to 2200+ down to 1900+ and so on. I shut the truck off and now it will not start. I get some hard cranks and everything but no fire. The IPR won't get above 2200 now during cranks.

So if my looking around on the old interweb is correct I may have a plugged screen or a bad IPR correct? Could it be worse than that? Is this just the tip of the iceberg? If it is just as simple as switching or cleaning the IPR how big of a job is that? I'm not exactly helpless on wrenching but I am by no means a competent engine builder either, probably closer to helpless lol.

Thanks for any help and suggestions guys. I will also be contacting the diesel shop that helped me track down my bad intercooler last year and see what kind of phone diagnosis I can get tomorrow also.
Do you have oil pressure while cranking over the engine?

post #9 of 11 Old 04-17-2019, 05:25 AM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,030 Times in 959 Posts
Mentioned: 193 Post(s)
Quoted: 2448 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Your IPR reading (which I'm assuming is actually ICP for most of us), is not completely unbelievable. A cold start should probably have the ICP somewhere around 2000 psi, but it's been a while since I cold started a 6.0 and watched the pressure, so I could be wrong. As the engine warms, the pressure will drop. Hot idle should probably be around 600-700 psi. You only need ~500 psi of ICP to prompt the PCM to start firing the injectors.

I'm thinking fuel problem. Either combustion gases getting past the injector into the fuel rail (displacing the fuel) or a dying HFCM. Put a fuel pressure gauge on it and watch it as it dies.

Dexter
2017 F-250 Lariat CCSB FX4 SRW- A few Forscan tweaks
My old Truck, now son's truck:
2004 F-250SD Lariat CCSB FX4 SRW; SCT X4 w/custom tunes (currently
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
SPD)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
FICM;
FICM Tuner (currently Atlas40);
Stage 1.5 Turbo;

Stage 1 HPOP;
VK688 Oil Cooler Relocate with coolant re-route;
Water Pump;

O-ringed Heads; ARP Studs; Fel-Pro Gaskets;
Coolant Filter;
DashCommand on PLX Kiwi2 + iMFD with EGT & Fuel/Oil Pressure
post #10 of 11 Old 04-17-2019, 09:52 AM Thread Starter

Unfortunately my talks with two different techs (over the phone and not hands on the truck) are thinking the same thing Gator was saying. It sounds like I may have damaged some injectors with my running out of fuel problem. I'm in the process of hoping we get that fine line of enough rain that we can't plant in the morning, but not to much that it screws up the crops, so I can get it drug into a shop and fixed. Thanks for those that have been trying to help me pin this down. I enjoy learning about these motors just not the patience to do it myself.

2005 F250 SRW Crew Cab
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode