1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 04-07-2019, 10:41 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
05 Missing

I just finished putting in the ARP studs, deleting the EGR, and oil cooler due to heavy coolant loss in my. 05 Excursion. The Ex ran perfectly beforehand. After reassembly I have a miss that I am trying to diagnose. I use FORScan as my diagnostic tool. I have a contribution code for cylinder 1. FICM voltage shows 48 - 49 volts at all times, ICP actual follows Desired perfectly. I can turn off each injector within FORScan when doing so 1,2 and 8 make no difference at all. The rest are very obvious when they are disabled. However if I disconnect the ICP sensor the idle smooths out a bit and 1,2 and 8 make a very slight difference when disabled. I have only put about 10 miles on it since the stud job could it still be air in the system? I bled both oil rails and both fuel lines before starting it up.

History of the truck:
Bought in November of 17 with 259k on it shortly after I developed a shudder at around 55mph. Using FORScan I narrowed it down to injectors 1 and 7. I pulled the passenger side injectors and cleaned them put new o-rings on and swapped injectors 1 and 3 and 5 and 7 incase the shudder persisted to see if it followed the injector or stayed with cylinders 1 and 7. It ran perfectly afterward and hasn't had a miss since until the stud job.

I know it has had some injectors replaced because not all of them are identical.

Thanks in advance for any help or ideas

Last edited by Jordan Clark; 04-07-2019 at 10:43 AM. Reason: added info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 04-07-2019, 02:42 PM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,016 Times in 913 Posts
Mentioned: 241 Post(s)
Quoted: 1552 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
The greatest statistical likelihood is that - after monkeying around under the hood - there is a harness or connector that isn't amused.

Check to make sure that your FICM connectors are well-seated and the pins in good shape. Harnesses can be fine for years and then go south when moved around. You might want to also look for chafing.

https://www.powerstroke.org/forum/6-...s-chafing.html

The FICM connectors have top priority, though.

2004 F550 CC Lariat
BPD oil cooler relocation and upgraded EGR cooler (spooled), BPD oil bypass filtration, aFe Magnum Force CAI, Mishi radiator, 7.3L fan clutch, EC1 ELC, XDP coolant bypass filtration, '08 trans pan/filter, PTP direct clutch solenoid, blue spring, 6.4 starter, MBRP y-pipe, BD boots/clamps, '05 intake elbow, ccv reroute, Torque Pro + OBDLinkô LX, Autometer EGT
post #3 of 12 Old 04-07-2019, 03:29 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ok I will check for any chafing of the harness didn't notice any while removing and reinstalling but wasn't really looking for it. The connectors that plug into the FICM are missing the actual locking tabs maybe this is the issue? They seem well seated and I secured them in with a zip tie until my new harness arrives. Oddly though just went back out and fired it up and had zero miss, all 8 injectors had noticeable effect on the idle until the temps got to around 120F after that the miss began and I actually pulled a random misfire code. That's the first time the truck has thrown that code. Miss is either not there or not noticeable while driving and the boost is above 15psi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 04-07-2019, 03:54 PM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,016 Times in 913 Posts
Mentioned: 241 Post(s)
Quoted: 1552 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
The chafing thread describes a temperature dependent short that I resolved. They can happen.

You might try moving the harness with a nonconductive something when you don't have a miss to see if you can make it happen. If you can reliable start or stop the problem, there's your issue.

2004 F550 CC Lariat
BPD oil cooler relocation and upgraded EGR cooler (spooled), BPD oil bypass filtration, aFe Magnum Force CAI, Mishi radiator, 7.3L fan clutch, EC1 ELC, XDP coolant bypass filtration, '08 trans pan/filter, PTP direct clutch solenoid, blue spring, 6.4 starter, MBRP y-pipe, BD boots/clamps, '05 intake elbow, ccv reroute, Torque Pro + OBDLinkô LX, Autometer EGT
post #5 of 12 Old 04-11-2019, 08:05 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ok so checked the harnesses and replaced the FICM harness just to be sure. The only frayed connectors on the main harness were the oil pressure switch and alternator. It is still missing once the oil temp reaches approx 124F. The oil does seem a bit thin for a 15w-40 could it be too thin to fire an injector at the 120 degree mark?
post #6 of 12 Old 04-11-2019, 10:09 AM
Serving Our Country!

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
If the oil is light, you can check the fill level to see if perhaps some diesel got in it. There's a grounding wire that needs to be attached, looks like a flat metal cable to the driver's side.
jokester00 likes this.

2005 F250, 189,000 Miles
Bullet Proof HD Oil Cooler w/ Cold Weather Kit, Bullet Proof EGR, Bulletproof Water Pump, 7.3 Fan Clutch
Airlift 5k Airbags and Wireless Air
Edge CTS w/ EGT probe and Fuel Pressure Sensor.
15 MPG slick; 10 MPG towing 11k fifth wheel
Ravelco

6.0 Flush Procedure:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Good 6.0 Reading:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 12 Old 04-11-2019, 11:18 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisSki View Post
If the oil is light, you can check the fill level to see if perhaps some diesel got in it. There's a grounding wire that needs to be attached, looks like a flat metal cable to the driver's side.
Just changed the oil and same symptoms actually started missing around 115 EOT. As far as the grounding wire I assume you mean the one that goes to the back of the head? Mine was on the passenger's side
post #8 of 12 Old 04-11-2019, 11:47 AM
Serving Our Country!

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
It's been a while, but I am talking about the grounding wire for the injector harness cable. I thought mine bolted on the drivers side intake, but I could be wrong on that.

2005 F250, 189,000 Miles
Bullet Proof HD Oil Cooler w/ Cold Weather Kit, Bullet Proof EGR, Bulletproof Water Pump, 7.3 Fan Clutch
Airlift 5k Airbags and Wireless Air
Edge CTS w/ EGT probe and Fuel Pressure Sensor.
15 MPG slick; 10 MPG towing 11k fifth wheel
Ravelco

6.0 Flush Procedure:

Good 6.0 Reading:
post #9 of 12 Old 04-11-2019, 12:22 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Oh ok yes it is attached to one of the intake bolts on the driver's side. Made sure to do that when I installed the new harness this morning.

As far as I can tell I'm down to bad injectors. Although I don't see a reason for the miss to start once the temp is up if that is the case. Or a FICM issue once it gets hot? I can hear all the injectors during the buzz test both cold and hot so I don't think that is the issue and the FICM voltage never drops below 48v.

I've checked the rockers and valves on the afflicted cylinders all appears to be working correctly. Tested the HPO system with the IPR valve fitting, with 125psi for 30 minutes and didn't hear a leak. ICP pressure is around 720 on startup cold and drops to about 600 once up to operating temp, but that coincides with what the desired is calling for.
post #10 of 12 Old 04-12-2019, 05:30 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Update: I used a potentiometer in the oil temp sensor plug to fool the pcm into thinking the oil was still under 110 even though it was fully warmed up to 182. It idled perfectly but still had some miss when revving however but it smoothed back out after about 2000 rpm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode