6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 Old 03-29-2019, 03:12 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Hit the injector

Hey guys! New to the forums here. I'll give a little background real quick.

I bought a 2003 F350 King Ranch with the 6.0 in it a few months ago. This truck has 190k miles on it and has a stack of receipts with it for work that has been done over the years. When the truck had 60k miles it had the head gaskets, ARP studs, and EGR delete done. This was done by a local shop. Shortly after buying it I realized it was losing coolant. It seemed to be coming from the degas bottle. I must not have looked it over good enough before buying it because I've only been easy on it since buying it. No towing or anything like that. I drove the truck for about another week since it wasn't losing much coolant I figured it must not have been too bad a leak. Well I was going down the highway one day and the truck died. I coasted off the highway and into a parking lot to call a tow truck. They picked it up and dropped it off at my house. The next day it started right up. After it began to warm up it started missing then died and wouldn't start again. I figured it would likely be a high pressure oil leak. The truck sat a couple months so I could save money for repairs. Having just bought the truck ($11k) I was kinda broke. Now I purchased the heads up gasket kit from sinister diesel with the OEM Ford head gaskets and new arp studs. Once they arrived I began tear down. I did find what I believe was the source of my stalling problem. One line that feeds the high pressure oil rail on the driver side had a blown o-ring. I bought a kit to replace all the o-rings on the high pressure oil system. Today I finally got one of the heads off. I am doing this with the cab on so it is very tight. The driver side head was fighting me coming off and I was completely exhausted by the time I got it free. Sometime during the fight i must've bumped one of the injectors. It looked like one of them has a clean spot on the tip. Will this injector be okay? It didn't look damaged but I'm not sure what lies under the carbon coat.

Edit: Uploaded some pics... don't know how well they show it though.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0329191919a.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	1.40 MB
ID:	716947   Click image for larger version

Name:	0329191919b.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	1.45 MB
ID:	716949   Click image for larger version

Name:	0329191919.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	1.86 MB
ID:	716951   Click image for larger version

Name:	0329191918a.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	4.32 MB
ID:	716953  

Last edited by mermalion; 03-29-2019 at 03:27 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 03-29-2019, 04:23 PM
Love all, Trust a Few...

Mentioned: 346 Post(s)
Quoted: 1068 Post(s)
Shouldn’t remove heads with injectors/glow plugs in it. You should have them cleaned DECKED (most important) and pressure tested at the bare minumum by a machine shop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hydro likes this.

@loxdce
post #3 of 24 Old 03-29-2019, 04:58 PM
Love all, Trust a Few...

Mentioned: 346 Post(s)
Quoted: 1068 Post(s)
Hit the injector

Double post sorry.

@loxdce
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 Old 03-30-2019, 08:05 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Garage
Maybe, possibly, could be ...as @LoxDiesel said, best to remove the injectors and glow plugs first. Been a few years back, I had a couple of guys carry a head into the shop(large head needs two to carry) and proceed to place it on my work bench. I didn't catch them in time ...as they slid the head over the edge of the bench, all 6 injector tips were sheared off ...price just went up for a valve job.

Look closely(magnifying glass) at the holes in the injector tip, if they are not damaged you may have dodged the bullet. With 190k miles ...think that all the fuel that ever ran in the truck has passed thru those tiny holes ...spray pattern directly affects efficiency of the engine ...may want to put new/reman injectors in since you have the engine down anyways.

In my defense, I was unsupervised
2006 F250 Lariat FX4 cclb
Torque Pro and OBDLink MX bluetooth monitor
General note:
For all those wanting a premium silicone sealer Kubota 70000-73764 is the best your gonna find. This is a hybrid gray silicone that uses solvent rather than acid to start the curing reaction, this makes it safe for aluminum and and any surface that involves coolant.
post #5 of 24 Old 03-30-2019, 12:25 PM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Garage
If that was my truck, it wouldn't even be a question - there would be 8 new glow plugs & 8 new injectors going in there. Yeah, you'd eat ~$1800, but to leave it to chance after you've just done all that engine work - no way. But, that's me - you gotta do what's best for you within your budget & your truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydro View Post
Maybe, possibly, could be ...as @LoxDiesel said, best to remove the injectors and glow plugs first. Been a few years back, I had a couple of guys carry a head into the shop(large head needs two to carry) and proceed to place it on my work bench. I didn't catch them in time ...as they slid the head over the edge of the bench, all 6 injector tips were sheared off ...price just went up for a valve job.
LOL!! OUCH!

-jokester
voodooridr likes this.

2005 F350 CCLB FX4 Lariat
ARP's with OEM gaskets
SCT SF3 - Currently running PHP 80hp Daily Driver Tune with Atlas 40 FICM Tune
Edge Insight CTS2 monitor
Edge EAS EGT probe
Edge EAS Fuel Pressure Sensor
DieselSite Coolant Filter
Blue Spring Upgrade
post #6 of 24 Old 04-25-2019, 01:50 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Okay guys I apologize for not getting back to you. I replaced the injector that I noticed the mark on. It's not in the budget to replace all of them at the moment. I now have the engine completely reassembled and everything torqued to spec. The issue I have now is that I've cranked it a lot and it's still not firing. I replaced the oil, filter, fuel filters, and coolant during the head gasket replacement. I have fuel in the fuel filter housing on top of the engine but no oil in the oil filter housing. I removed the filter and depressed the valve in the bottom of the filter housing and had my girlfriend crank the engine... still no oil. The filter is completely dry by the way. I then read about the pressure relief valve on the bottom front of the engine. I took it out and it looked fine... no debris or anything. I reinstalled it and cranked the engine again... no go. Any ideas? The engine ran before disassembly but would die when warmed up. I found a blown HPO o ring on a line that fed the driver's side HP oil rail. Also found the lower oring on 2 injectors that were blown apart. I replaced those aswell. From what I read online it seems the low pressure oil pump or pickup tube are bad. How can that happen when sitting and not running?
post #7 of 24 Old 04-25-2019, 01:56 PM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,027 Times in 923 Posts
Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 1561 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Not trying to be a jerk or insult you... there's oil on the dipstick, yes?

I could see a very justifiable "I'll top it off later" scenario with that much work going on.

2004 F550 CC Lariat
BPD oil cooler relocation and upgraded EGR cooler (spooled), BPD oil bypass filtration, aFe Magnum Force CAI, Mishi radiator, 7.3L fan clutch, EC1 ELC, XDP coolant bypass filtration, '08 trans pan/filter, PTP direct clutch solenoid, blue spring, 6.4 starter, MBRP y-pipe, BD boots/clamps, '05 intake elbow, ccv reroute, Torque Pro + OBDLink™ LX, Autometer EGT
post #8 of 24 Old 04-25-2019, 02:02 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Yes sir, I figured it would need to pump oil up into the oil rails and everything to it's actually up at the max line.
djmaguire likes this.
post #9 of 24 Old 04-25-2019, 02:07 PM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,027 Times in 923 Posts
Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 1561 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I had to ask. Well... the chain is oil pan, oil pickup tube, oil pump + relief, oil cooler + bypass, and the tower. Oil's at the pan and not at the tower.

Pickup tube clogged?
Something wacky at the cooler?

There's not much between point A and point B.

It might be worth throwing a pressure gauge on the LPOP port to see exactly what is going on.

2004 F550 CC Lariat
BPD oil cooler relocation and upgraded EGR cooler (spooled), BPD oil bypass filtration, aFe Magnum Force CAI, Mishi radiator, 7.3L fan clutch, EC1 ELC, XDP coolant bypass filtration, '08 trans pan/filter, PTP direct clutch solenoid, blue spring, 6.4 starter, MBRP y-pipe, BD boots/clamps, '05 intake elbow, ccv reroute, Torque Pro + OBDLink™ LX, Autometer EGT
post #10 of 24 Old 04-25-2019, 02:31 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I just don't understand how any of those could go bad from sitting. Except for the pressure relief valve... I could see it getting stuck or something. It was removed and cleaned... seemed fine though. The truck is sitting at a slight decline toward the rear. It's not much though... wouldn't think it would make a difference.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode