5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 09-23-2018, 09:11 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
ECT Question

Hey guys. New to diesel engines and the forum. I've been reading up on the site and have found lots of great info.

I bought a 2005 F-350 SD FX4 pickup . It is pretty clean with 109K on the odometer and no CEL. I borrowed a friends CTS2 and started monitoring for a few days. The truck is a second vehicle so I've only been driving it locally before I took it on the highway yesterday for a 20 min drive. I'd like an opinion on my findings so far:

1.) The highest I've seen the ECT get is 188.

2.) My test drive on the highway last night the delta was around 20 with ECT at 188 and EOT at 211. This morning I let the truck idle for awhile, drove it around to run some errands, came home and let it idle some more. ECT/EOT was 184/195. I'm in CT so temps have been around low 60s last couple of days.

I expected the ECT to get to 190+. I'd appreciate thoughts on numbers and next steps.
Thanks
Nick

2005 Ford F-350 Super Duty 4dr SuperCab XLT 4WD LB

Last edited by nicksorg; 09-23-2018 at 01:51 PM. Reason: Changed EOT to ECT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 09-23-2018, 11:32 AM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Garage
Most guys report 188-192 for ECT with an OEM t-stat, depending on ambient temps. I have an OEM t-stat and even when it's 30 degrees out, mine will still run at 190.

I'm assuming you meant to say ECT on #1?? If so, let the truck sit for 12+ hours, then before starting it, check ECT & EOT sensors - they should read within a degree of each other. If they aren't, use your Trans temp sensor as a reference to compare and see which one might be off (assuming your TFT sensor is good). If they do read right there with each other, you can try an oil cooler back flush that many on here have done successfully (do a search on here and you'll find the info). If that fails, you're probably looking at a oil cooler R&R.

-jokester

2005 F350 CCLB FX4 Lariat
ARP's with OEM gaskets
SCT SF3 - Currently running PHP 80hp Daily Driver Tune with Atlas 40 FICM Tune
Edge Insight CTS2 monitor
Edge EAS EGT probe
Edge EAS Fuel Pressure Sensor
DieselSite Coolant Filter
Blue Spring Upgrade
post #3 of 13 Old 09-23-2018, 01:30 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Nick, I think those numbers look fine. My 04 usually runs 198/206 on the two temps on the flat. Climbing my 6 mile mountain road always puts me at 209/220 which is where my fan comes on for about 3-4 seconds.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 09-23-2018, 01:52 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks guys. Yes, I meant to say ECT and revised it. I'll let the truck sit over night and compare the two values before starting.

post #5 of 13 Old 09-23-2018, 04:27 PM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1224 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to backhoebill
If youre not even warming up to between 192-196, you likely need a thermostat. I would definitely start there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hydro likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
'06 F250 4x4, 280,xxx hard miles, ARP studded and o-ringed, Bulletproof EGR cooler, IPR coolant filter, blue spring, CSF 6028 intercooler, KC S2R, 4" turbo back, SPD & Herc FICM tune, SCT Livewire, PI converter, occasional Archoil, Mobil 1 Synthetic, Cat elc, Warn bumper and 16.5 winch in front & aftermarket mystery bumper in rear, dent in floorboard under throttle
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 13 Old 09-24-2018, 04:05 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I let the truck sit and checked the sensors this morning without starting:

ECT = Initially displayed 56 but would switch back and forth to 58
EOT = 58
TFT = 57

The ECT value was bouncing between the values of 56 and 58. Is that indicative of an issue with the ECT sensor?

Thanks
Nick

post #7 of 13 Old 09-24-2018, 04:49 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Garage
ECT and EOT sensors are the same so you can swap them for a test if you want. Sounds like you need a new T-stat though.

If you have one of those infrared heat guns, could take a shot of the engine and upper radiator hose to verify the temp readings, or just replace sensor and thermostat, they are right beside each other.

In my defense, I was unsupervised
2006 F250 Lariat FX4 cclb
Torque Pro and OBDLink MX bluetooth monitor
General note:
For all those wanting a premium silicone sealer Kubota 70000-73764 is the best your gonna find. This is a hybrid gray silicone that uses solvent rather than acid to start the curing reaction, this makes it safe for aluminum and and any surface that involves coolant.
post #8 of 13 Old 09-24-2018, 05:10 AM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,027 Times in 956 Posts
Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Quoted: 2448 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicksorg View Post
I let the truck sit and checked the sensors this morning without starting:

ECT = Initially displayed 56 but would switch back and forth to 58
EOT = 58
TFT = 57

The ECT value was bouncing between the values of 56 and 58. Is that indicative of an issue with the ECT sensor?

Thanks
Nick
The PCM only outputs the ECT reading in 1C increments (1.8F). That's why it was jumping between 56 and 58. Sounds like your sensors are fine and not biased. What was the ambient temp?
jokester00 likes this.

Dexter
2017 F-250 Lariat CCSB FX4 SRW- A few Forscan tweaks
My old Truck, now son's truck:
2004 F-250SD Lariat CCSB FX4 SRW; SCT X4 w/custom tunes (currently
SPD)

FICM;
FICM Tuner (currently Atlas40);
Stage 1.5 Turbo;

Stage 1 HPOP;
VK688 Oil Cooler Relocate with coolant re-route;
Water Pump;

O-ringed Heads; ARP Studs; Fel-Pro Gaskets;
Coolant Filter;
DashCommand on PLX Kiwi2 + iMFD with EGT & Fuel/Oil Pressure

Last edited by G8orFord; 09-24-2018 at 05:12 AM. Reason: Originally quoted the wrong post.
post #9 of 13 Old 09-24-2018, 05:49 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

G8or, that makes sense. The IAT was 56

post #10 of 13 Old 09-24-2018, 05:51 AM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,027 Times in 956 Posts
Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Quoted: 2448 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
It sounds like your sensors are fine.
jokester00 likes this.

Dexter
2017 F-250 Lariat CCSB FX4 SRW- A few Forscan tweaks
My old Truck, now son's truck:
2004 F-250SD Lariat CCSB FX4 SRW; SCT X4 w/custom tunes (currently
SPD)

FICM;
FICM Tuner (currently Atlas40);
Stage 1.5 Turbo;

Stage 1 HPOP;
VK688 Oil Cooler Relocate with coolant re-route;
Water Pump;

O-ringed Heads; ARP Studs; Fel-Pro Gaskets;
Coolant Filter;
DashCommand on PLX Kiwi2 + iMFD with EGT & Fuel/Oil Pressure
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode