Very poor acceleration at low rpm 2004 F250 Super Duty - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By backhoebill

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 08-08-2018, 04:22 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Angry Very poor acceleration at low rpm 2004 F250 Super Duty

I had a no start problem hot/cold. I suspected oil rail leak and did not want to do a top rebuild again. Last one was in 2011 due to liquid lock due to tty/head gasket failure. Bought an EGR delete kit as well as new upgraded oil cooler and head studs in 2011. Was unaware of stand pipe and dummy plug upgrades :-( This lasted 5-6yrs failing in March/April 2017. As stated above, didn't want to do the oil rail again due to being disabled. Got someone to help me (read as I was the helper) and did turn out to be an o-ring seal on the passenger side oil rail at firewall end of rail. My friend did the oil rail and fuel injector o-ring rebuilds. Engine now starts very well hot and cold. However it now has a poor acceleration when starting out at standstill. It takes several seconds to get engine up above 1000rpm which is a hazard when entering roads from side roads and driveways. Shifting gears at >2K rpm truck drives fine. Power at idle is good and will pull the truck at idle even in 3rd gear up slight hills. This is my first diesel so I do not know if the power at idle is relevant. Boost seems OK once rpm get above 1000-1200 through 2500-3000. I normally do not drive WOT and do not what boost is WOT. What should I check? How can I test the VGT without fancy diagnostic tools and such. I do have a scan gaugeII and can post anything it can display. TIA

Last edited by jhparizona; 08-08-2018 at 04:26 AM. Reason: Change one word - bypass -> delete
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 08-08-2018, 07:40 AM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 1274 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to backhoebill
Unplug the vgt solenoid on the turbo and listen for a slight change in exhaust tone. It should slightly change when unplugging/plugging. You need some way of monitoring parameters. Get a bluetooth dongle for $20 and download the free torque app. If you just did work before this happened, check all connections, such as MAP hose and connection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jokester00 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
'06 F250 4x4, 280,xxx hard miles, ARP studded and o-ringed, Bulletproof EGR cooler, IPR coolant filter, blue spring, CSF 6028 intercooler, KC S2R, 4" turbo back, SPD & Herc FICM tune, SCT Livewire, PI converter, occasional Archoil, Mobil 1 Synthetic, Cat elc, Warn bumper and 16.5 winch in front & aftermarket mystery bumper in rear, dent in floorboard under throttle
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 Old 08-08-2018, 05:58 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I do have a scangauge II hooked up right now. Can get whatever values it can display. Currently boost goes from 0.x to low 20's. MAP is 12.x to 14.8-15.x idle to 2K+. Under no load, engine is fairly responsive from 700rpm 3K+. Problem is only under load. The truck did sit for almost 18 months, batteries went almost completely dead (1.xV) with the key fobs needing reprogramming to work after charging batteries. Do not know if dead batteries could have caused key fob issue or was just coincidence. According to scangauge, system voltage is 13.3 while running. This a little low in my opinion, but don't know if it is an issue. I have purchased an ELM327 compatible dongle and am awaiting for delivery. I have the free torque program but will probably buy the pro version this month or next.I will try to do the VGT solenoid tomorrow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 08-08-2018, 07:54 PM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Garage
Your MAP reads ~15psi from idle to 2K+ RPM's???

Compare your MAP reading to EBP and BARO KOEO - they should all be within 0.5psi of each other. Then, like @backhoebill said, watch your VGT while driving - should never see it hit 15% or 85% under normal driving.

-jokester

2005 F350 CCLB FX4 Lariat
SCT SF3 - Currently running PHP 80hp Daily Driver Tune with Atlas 40 FICM Tune
Edge Insight CTS2 monitor
Edge EAS EGT probe
Edge EAS Fuel Pressure Sensor
post #5 of 7 Old 08-08-2018, 07:56 PM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,066 Times in 939 Posts
Mentioned: 278 Post(s)
Quoted: 1588 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Any codes?

2004 F550 CC Lariat
BPD oil cooler relocation and upgraded EGR cooler (spooled), BPD oil bypass filtration, aFe Magnum Force CAI, Mishi radiator, 7.3L fan clutch, EC1 ELC, XDP coolant bypass filtration, '08 trans pan/filter, PTP direct clutch solenoid, blue spring, 6.4 starter, MBRP y-pipe, BD boots/clamps, '05 intake elbow, ccv reroute, Torque Pro + OBDLinkô LX, Autometer EGT
post #6 of 7 Old 08-09-2018, 06:08 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

No, no codes. I wish I did at least might give me a diagnostic hint. When I first got the scangauge II I there were codes but I still was learning how to use it and did no know codes would reset by themselves and yes I am sure I did not push the clear button. Now it shows no codes.
post #7 of 7 Old 08-09-2018, 06:27 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jokester00 View Post
Your MAP reads ~15psi from idle to 2K+ RPM's???

Compare your MAP reading to EBP and BARO KOEO - they should all be within 0.5psi of each other. Then, like @backhoebill said, watch your VGT while driving - should never see it hit 15% or 85% under normal driving.

-jokester
Yes and no, what I wrote is that MAP on the scangauge ll, reads 12.x at idle and 14 to 15.x at 2000rpm. From your post, if the MAP reading correct I already have a problem. Still raining here which is always welcome. Will try to get to pulling the solenoid cable tomorrow morning before rain starts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
acceleration , f250

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode