black smoke and lurching when accelerating from a stop - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old 05-25-2018, 06:00 AM Thread Starter
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
black smoke and lurching when accelerating from a stop

Something happened last night with my truck, not exactly sure what. (2005 6.0, bone stock, 146,xxx miles)

Merging onto highway it just didn't want to accelerate much then it was like it caught a gear or something and was fine until I had to slow down in construction lane, did the same thing and noticed black smoke in the rearview mirror. At the exit ramp I stopped short and then went to pull up to the stopped cars. Barely moved but when it did it kinda lurched forward, like moved a little bit at a time and lots of black smoke came out the tailpipe, motor also seemed to be surging when stepping on accelerator. Had to get the truck off the road so went a few hundred feet into a parking lot. Tried moving a few more time and it did the same thing.

Threw a code reader on and it gave me a pending code of P0404 'EGR Flow CKT Range/Performance '

Does this mean the EGR valve or cooler is bad? EGR cooler was replaced once in Nov 2013 (that was a warranty job).
If not, any thoughts as to what it might be?
It was fine on the way into work in the morning yesterday

Had it towed to the dealer hoping it would be covered under the BaseCare Ford ESP but if it is the EGR, turns out that isn't covered and I'd be on the hook to have them diagnosis it (plus repair if I want them to). They said $2075 to replace just the EGR cooler.

Any help appreciated!

2005 F-250 supercab longbed 4x4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 05-25-2018, 07:55 AM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 1273 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to backhoebill
Sounds like it could be the egr valve needing cleaned possibly. Sometimes a small chunk of carbon will break loose and get stuck in the egr valve, keeping it from seating. Hopefully thatís all it is, but the dealer will probably replace the valve rather than clean it. But donít worry if that is the case. It takes 1 minute to remove the valve, and they are a couple hundred for the part.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
'06 F250 4x4, 280,xxx hard miles, ARP studded and o-ringed, Bulletproof EGR cooler, IPR coolant filter, blue spring, CSF 6028 intercooler, KC S2R, 4" turbo back, SPD & Herc FICM tune, SCT Livewire, PI converter, occasional Archoil, Mobil 1 Synthetic, Cat elc, Warn bumper and 16.5 winch in front & aftermarket mystery bumper in rear, dent in floorboard under throttle
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 20 Old 05-25-2018, 08:26 AM Thread Starter

So I could pop the hood in the dealer parking lot, pull it out, inspect it/clean it then put it back in and see if it runs normal?
Guess I'll do a search and see what tools I need to pull it and the best way to clean it.

Once the truck got moving it seemed fine. Do you think it could/would cause damage to drive it home so I can check it out in my driveway (3.8 miles, need to stop at 3 total traffic lights/stops signs)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 Old 05-25-2018, 09:33 AM
Premium Member

I use a 1/4Ē ratchet with a 6Ē extension and a 5/16(8mm) socket. Sometimes large channel locks and a pry bar are needed to get the valve out, because they get stuck. It should be obvious if the valve is stuck open. Even a little is not good.

john galt and pphelps like this.

'06 F250 4x4, 280,xxx hard miles, ARP studded and o-ringed, Bulletproof EGR cooler, IPR coolant filter, blue spring, CSF 6028 intercooler, KC S2R, 4" turbo back, SPD & Herc FICM tune, SCT Livewire, PI converter, occasional Archoil, Mobil 1 Synthetic, Cat elc, Warn bumper and 16.5 winch in front & aftermarket mystery bumper in rear, dent in floorboard under throttle
post #5 of 20 Old 05-25-2018, 11:07 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
sounds like the EGR valve, easy fix
post #6 of 20 Old 05-25-2018, 12:18 PM Thread Starter

Dealer I had it towed to said $600 plus to do the valve. Told them I'll pick it up. YouTube videos made it looks pretty easy. Not sure if it is OK to drive home of if it might cause damage. Don't think dealer would want me doing work in their parking lot! Though I could drive to a nearby business and do it in theirs...doubt they'd be open this weekend.

Anyone know if it would be safe to drive home without causing damage to anything?

post #7 of 20 Old 05-25-2018, 01:07 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bas157 View Post
Dealer I had it towed to said $600 plus to do the valve. Told them I'll pick it up. YouTube videos made it looks pretty easy. Not sure if it is OK to drive home of if it might cause damage. Don't think dealer would want me doing work in their parking lot! Though I could drive to a nearby business and do it in theirs...doubt they'd be open this weekend.

Anyone know if it would be safe to drive home without causing damage to anything?

When my truck did that, I just resorted to pedal to the floor until it cleans up the smoke and pulls hard. A couple wide open throttle runs and then it should blow that crap out if it is the egr valve stuck with something.

john galt likes this.

post #8 of 20 Old 05-25-2018, 04:50 PM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,081 Times in 1,009 Posts
Mentioned: 204 Post(s)
Quoted: 2590 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
$600 to replace an EGR valve? That's ridiculous, even if the new valve is included in the price. With the proper tools (which they have) it's literally a 15 minute job and that's if it's stubborn.
john galt likes this.

Dexter
2017 F-250 Lariat CCSB FX4 SRW- A few Forscan tweaks
My old Truck, now son's truck:
2004 F-250SD Lariat CCSB FX4 SRW; SCT X4 w/custom tunes (currently
SPD)

FICM;
FICM Tuner (currently Atlas40);
Stage 1.5 Turbo;

Stage 1 HPOP;
VK688 Oil Cooler Relocate with coolant re-route;
Water Pump;

O-ringed Heads; ARP Studs; Fel-Pro Gaskets;
Coolant Filter;
DashCommand on PLX Kiwi2 + iMFD with EGT & Fuel/Oil Pressure
post #9 of 20 Old 05-25-2018, 05:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by G8orFord View Post
$600 to replace an EGR valve? That's ridiculous, even if the new valve is included in the price. With the proper tools (which they have) it's literally a 15 minute job and that's if it's stubborn.
That's why I told them I'll pick the truck up. Got it home OK...blew a lot of black smoke but it is home. Will pull valve in the morning and hope that is the problem!

post #10 of 20 Old 05-25-2018, 05:24 PM
california deplorable

Mentioned: 441 Post(s)
Quoted: 3173 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by G8orFord View Post
i would do it in their lot regardless if they liked it.
i could be done before they had a chance to really escalate things anyways.

or as bill said you might be able to drive it home and blow itout on the way depending

I like mead

early 04 f350 6.0 cclb lariat sr
Bulletproof oil &egr, elc, sct x3, edge CTS, afe intake, blue spring, t-500, MTW stage 2, Vivians looney, 305 x55x20 bfg at ko's, 4 inch cat back, 4"BDS fox shocks and steering stabilizer, tri pilar gauge set, coolant filter, riff raff boots, new headliner, 7 inch touch screen w/back up, new carpet, near whole new interior,

FederalOwnershipRespectfullyDeclined

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode