04 loses voltage to ficm , stalls then restarts - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old 04-14-2018, 08:15 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
04 loses voltage to ficm , stalls then restarts

I’ve got an 04 (built 9/03) that will stall, or crank no start intermittently. Ficm main, logic and vehicle power are all good when it’s running, but are just not there at all either when first turning the key, or it just stops running going down the road. I’ve cleaned the battery terminals, changed the ficm relay, wiggles wires , but I’m not sure where to go from here. Could it be a ground or wire chafing?
Icp is good, and when it is running it runs great

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2004 F350 6.0 auto
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 04-15-2018, 06:17 AM
Serving Our Country!

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Quoted: 573 Post(s)
How are you measuring it? My Edge CTS has trouble measuring anything with key on engine off. My SCANGAUGE can measure KOEO or KOER.

Also, if the FICM voltage goes down slowly, it is probably the FICM. If it dies suddenly its not there.

May try wiggling the cables. They can not be seated correctly. It's a pain to get to them. Also, if someone has worked on it, which with a fourteen year old truck is probably a certainty, than the wire looms can be put back incorrectly leading to chafing. Just check the looms for chafing and areas where its brittle and exposed.

If its the FICM, the solder joints on the inside could be bad. Those that fix them have mixed reviews from working, to buying time, to not fixing it.

2005 F250, 189,000 Miles
Bullet Proof HD Oil Cooler w/ Cold Weather Kit, Bullet Proof EGR, Bulletproof Water Pump, 7.3 Fan Clutch
Airlift 5k Airbags and Wireless Air
Edge CTS w/ EGT probe and Fuel Pressure Sensor.
15 MPG slick; 10 MPG towing 11k fifth wheel
Ravelco

6.0 Flush Procedure:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Good 6.0 Reading:
post #3 of 23 Old 04-15-2018, 06:29 AM Thread Starter

I’m using a scanguage, ficm volts are steady 47.5-48, it doesn’t drop it just shuts off like turning the key off. It always restarts after a few key on/ off cycles like nothing happened.

2004 F350 6.0 auto
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 Old 04-15-2018, 09:50 AM
Serving Our Country!

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Quoted: 573 Post(s)
I can only recommend during the no start or hard start monitor the ICP and see if it has trouble breaking 500. That would point to an oil issue. Other than that jiggle the connectors what you can when its running, and it may shut off.

These intermittent issues are tough to trouble shoot. There's also a fuel pressure relay and a FICM relay. Perhaps tapping gently on those when its running. Can't remember where either of those are located.

2005 F250, 189,000 Miles
Bullet Proof HD Oil Cooler w/ Cold Weather Kit, Bullet Proof EGR, Bulletproof Water Pump, 7.3 Fan Clutch
Airlift 5k Airbags and Wireless Air
Edge CTS w/ EGT probe and Fuel Pressure Sensor.
15 MPG slick; 10 MPG towing 11k fifth wheel
Ravelco

6.0 Flush Procedure:

Good 6.0 Reading:
post #5 of 23 Old 04-15-2018, 10:08 AM Thread Starter

Icp is good cranking during the no start, as well as rpm during cranking. It just seems that there is no power going to the ficm. I put a new ficm relay in , no change
Today I cleaned the battery terminals again, checked wiring and connectors, it seemed one of the plugs on the ficm might have been backed out slightly maybe a clip broke, and the starter was loose for some reason I’ve been driving around for an hour now and it seems fine so far
Also I added vref to my scanguage, and it will fluctuate from 5 to 4

2004 F350 6.0 auto
post #6 of 23 Old 04-15-2018, 10:24 AM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,047 Times in 938 Posts
Mentioned: 277 Post(s)
Quoted: 1587 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Your previous approach of wiggling of wires was a good one. If your problem is simply the FICM connector (which makes sense), putting a big tie wrap around the FICM to hold it in place is common.

If it turns out to not be the FICM connector, this thread may help with typical chafing locations:

https://www.powerstroke.org/forum/6-0...s-chafing.html

I don''t see a mention of codes. If it happens again, you may want to read the codes, then clear them, and then read them again after it does it again. ...and then post it all up here.

Good luck.

2004 F550 CC Lariat
BPD oil cooler relocation and upgraded EGR cooler (spooled), BPD oil bypass filtration, aFe Magnum Force CAI, Mishi radiator, 7.3L fan clutch, EC1 ELC, XDP coolant bypass filtration, '08 trans pan/filter, PTP direct clutch solenoid, blue spring, 6.4 starter, MBRP y-pipe, BD boots/clamps, '05 intake elbow, ccv reroute, Torque Pro + OBDLinkô LX, Autometer EGT
post #7 of 23 Old 04-15-2018, 10:43 AM Thread Starter

I’ve tried several times checking the wires, but it was never the same place every time
The first time this happened I had codes for lost connection to ficm, contribution cyl #1&#8
I cleared those, and reloaded stock tune. Those codes have not reappeared since.
I’ll definitely keep updated in the event I helps someone else, but more than likely the truck will end up in the classifieds

2004 F350 6.0 auto
post #8 of 23 Old 04-15-2018, 10:54 AM
Premium Member

Garage
Codes for #1 and #8 are not what I would expect for your intermittent failure because those injectors are fed by two separate FICM connectors (X1 and X2, respectively). I was expecting 2 or more injectors on the same connector.

About the only thing that X1 and X2 have in common - other than being a PITA to seat - is a shield for both harness bundles that is grounded at the stud at the rear of the DS intake. You may want to check that is clean and solidly attached on principle.

2004 F550 CC Lariat
BPD oil cooler relocation and upgraded EGR cooler (spooled), BPD oil bypass filtration, aFe Magnum Force CAI, Mishi radiator, 7.3L fan clutch, EC1 ELC, XDP coolant bypass filtration, '08 trans pan/filter, PTP direct clutch solenoid, blue spring, 6.4 starter, MBRP y-pipe, BD boots/clamps, '05 intake elbow, ccv reroute, Torque Pro + OBDLinkô LX, Autometer EGT
post #9 of 23 Old 04-15-2018, 12:24 PM Thread Starter

This was on the battery cable a month ago
The connector on the ficm that I seated today was the one closest to the firewall, which I don’t believe is the power source
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3A3A955F-C3DD-41BC-A29A-8BE363E9CC29_1523820136314.jpeg
Views:	58
Size:	1.33 MB
ID:	692617  

2004 F350 6.0 auto
post #10 of 23 Old 04-15-2018, 12:30 PM
Premium Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironjet View Post
... The connector on the ficm that I seated today was the one closest to the firewall, which I don’t believe is the power source
You are correct. The one closest to the firewall (X1) is the feed to injectors 1, 4, 6, and 7. Power is farthest from.

2004 F550 CC Lariat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode