Hard Start, Rough Idle after Injector Harness Replacement - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By SixOJet
  • 1 Post By SixOJet

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 08-26-2017, 01:20 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Angry Hard Start, Rough Idle after Injector Harness Replacement

Hello All,
This is my first forum and post, look forward to learning a lot as I have already and for everyone's support. Hope yall can help me with my issue. Sorry for the long post and thanks in advance.

I recently purchased and early 04 f250 CC with 138k miles. Owner had taken it to a shop at 134K and they added a new oil cooler, oil stand pipes, coolant filter, injectors, and EGR cooler. Have been going through and doing all the maintenance on it including a thorough coolant flush. In the last couple of months the throttle has cut out on me about 10 times while accelerating or high fuel demand and the water in fuel light has come on as well. After some research in the forums I learned either a dirty HFCM or bad injector wire harness. I pulled and cleaned the HFCM, was not too bad. I ordered an injector harness and figured I would swap it in before my last coolant flush since I had the degas bottle out of the way and can easily reach the FICM. Learned about the chaffing issues and decided to address those as well while swapping the harness. During my coolant flushes truck ran absolutely perfect.

Yesterday I pulled the old harness off and installed the new harness making sure to route it correctly. I also taped up the engine harness in several spots that had been worn and looked at the connectors in various spots. The VGT solenoid connector needs to be replaced as it is all cracked. When I looked at the old injector harness it was in bad shape, several cracked wires at the connectors. One connector had all the wires cut and they were soldered and taped up!! Horrible job not sure why they did not replace the harness when they did the injectos! Connected the new harness to the FICM and injectors and reinstalled the FICM and other components. FICM has a sticker that it is a REMAN. Being pretty proud of myself for replacing the harness I start truck and it has a hard time starting and runs really rough idling like it is missing or loping! Sounds horrible!! My dad asked me if I unplugged the batteries when puled the FICM, nope, totally forgot!! Was too excited to get the harness swapped out. Do you guys think I fried something?

After being on the forums last night/early morning I am thinking I need to check the FICM voltage and the voltage at the IPC sensor which I plan on just stabbing the wire on the back side (I know bad practice, all I have it a volt meter). I probably need to check for codes as well but do not have a scanner at this point. I plan to check the FICM first. Just confused how it went from running great with a bad harness to running terrible with a new harness. I am also thinking of swapping the old harness back in just to see if the new harness is faulty somehow.

Any other thoughts? Could I have fried something since I did not unplug batteries. Pretty ticked off at myself at this point.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 08-26-2017, 01:55 PM
Serving Our Country!

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 368 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I think your best best would be to check over the connectors and make sure they're all plugged in. ESPECIALLY the ficm connectors. They're tough to get to seat in all the way sometimes. You could even start the truck and press on the connectors and you'll immediately hear it go back to normal if that's the problem. Double check all connectors and the ground wire. I'm betting ficm connectors loose
post #3 of 7 Old 08-26-2017, 02:15 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thank you for the response. I had read that as well. I am pretty sure both tabs are clipped in on all 3 connectors but best bet will be to loosen the FICM and push them in harder while truck running. Its a start!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 08-26-2017, 02:22 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Here is what the harness i pulled out looked like. Glad I replaced it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170826_103155.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	3.82 MB
ID:	643562   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170826_103217.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	2.50 MB
ID:	643570  
backhoebill likes this.
post #5 of 7 Old 09-05-2017, 10:57 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cthurston09 View Post
I think your best best would be to check over the connectors and make sure they're all plugged in. ESPECIALLY the ficm connectors. They're tough to get to seat in all the way sometimes. You could even start the truck and press on the connectors and you'll immediately hear it go back to normal if that's the problem. Double check all connectors and the ground wire. I'm betting ficm connectors loose

I agree with this. Itís hard to know for sure if those FICM connectors are all the way in. You should hear 2 clicks per plug. If you donít, itís not plugged in and youíll lose half your engine.
post #6 of 7 Old 09-05-2017, 11:22 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Update, I pulled the injector harness off that I installed and looked at the connectors going into the FICM. One of the connectors had the pins pushed down into the connector and therefore not making contact with the FICM. Called the company I bought it from the owner shipped a new one overnight. That is service! Hoping to install it tonight and give it another try. All the connectors were pushed in correctly. Harness came from Diesel Truck Parts Direct here in CA. He sells all kinds on sensors and pigtail repairs for diesels. Even gave me his personal cell number if I had any questions. Diesel Tech Ron use to purchase items from him since he could get them cheaper than the dealer. Hopefully second time around goes more smoothly!
post #7 of 7 Old 09-17-2017, 04:03 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Problem solved! Sorry for the late post. Installed the second harness I received and put everything back together and she purrs like a kitten! I guess if a kitten sounds like a turbine! Thanks all for the input. I learned new things along the way and found out I have to replace the VGT and Oil pressure electrical connections as well.

Finally was able to finish the coolant flush and now running Chevron ELC. Its all we use at the company I work at where we build farm equipment that runs over 2000 RPM for at least 8-10 hr days in over 95F heat here in the CA central valley. So if it can handle that heat I think it should take care of my truck.
backhoebill likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode