2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 Old 01-01-2017, 05:48 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Can you help a dummy?

So my 05' 6.0 has been starting rough in the colorado mornings then runnin ok after it warmed a bit. For a while I thought it was stiction and added some Archoil. Well today it decided to not want to run after leaving a convenience store when it was up to normal operating temps. It would start then sputter and die. I just need a little help on what to look for tomorrow when I go to try and get it started again so I dont have to get it towed.

I noticed sometimes the injectors didnt seem to be cycling correctly when I turn the key to the run position and tonight they didnt seem to be cycling at all.

Check my FICM voltage at start up...I have a edge CTS and it wont turn on unless the truck is running for me to check the voltage. Im assuming its wired incorrectly or am I doing something wrong?

Harness rubbing.. Could this be the issue? I just read up on this and will inspect the harness in the morning.

Any help is appreciated

Low batteries...They show fine on my CTS and are only a couple months old. Could they cause this issue?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 01-01-2017, 06:11 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
What is your injection control pressure and IPR% while cranking?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 26 Old 01-01-2017, 06:41 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by psd_driver View Post
What is your injection control pressure and IPR% while cranking?

I dont know. Ill check tomorrow am.

My CTS wont even turn on until its running. Im going to check the fuses and then see if its wired correctly.

Im guessing if you guys turn your key forward the CTS turns on? My does NOT.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 Old 01-01-2017, 06:43 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
I have an SCT monitor myself and it will turn on and show data while cranking. I am pretty sure the edge does require the engine to be running.

post #5 of 26 Old 01-01-2017, 06:52 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by psd_driver View Post
I have an SCT monitor myself and it will turn on and show data while cranking. I am pretty sure the edge does require the engine to be running.

So how do I check the FICM cranking voltage?
post #6 of 26 Old 01-01-2017, 06:57 PM
AMERICA!

Mentioned: 159 Post(s)
Quoted: 1738 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Manually check your FICM voltage with a volt meter, that's how we did it before the monitors came out that would monitor them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2004 F250 CC Lariat 4x4

BPD FICM, BPD billet water pump, BPD VK688 oil cooler kit, S&B CAI, MTW stage 2, TSD tunes, Auto Meter gauges, Edge CTS, Sinister coolant filter, Blue spring, 6.4 banjo bolts, Straight piped w/ 6" single mitre stack, Pro Comp leveling kit, 05-07 HD headlights, Xenon-Vision 5k HIDs, Fumoto block drain valves, ELC, High idle mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmaguire View Post
I'm guessing that you didn't lose nearly as much as it appeared. Spills are like that. The last beer that I spilled was like a million ounces.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 26 Old 01-03-2017, 02:48 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I would hook up the monitor and crank for no longer then about 25 seconds (to not burn up the starter) and see if you get more readings... cold mornings will do that, I live in Texas and when it gets cold my truck runs crappy till she warms up... just the nature of a diesel truck... I did have my ipr harness go bad and it caused the truck to just randomly spudder then die out so that may be something to look into

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #8 of 26 Old 01-03-2017, 04:58 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Would a stuck open EGR valve cause poor running and even kill the engine like its running out of fuel?

Its a bullet proof EGR...
post #9 of 26 Old 01-03-2017, 05:26 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I mayyyyy not have an egr and I'm not too familiar with the system honestly but I would say it's possible

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #10 of 26 Old 01-03-2017, 05:46 PM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,056 Times in 985 Posts
Mentioned: 200 Post(s)
Quoted: 2525 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankn101 View Post
Would a stuck open EGR valve cause poor running and even kill the engine like its running out of fuel?

Its a bullet proof EGR...
BPD doesn't make a EGR valve, only the cooler. The cooler wouldn't have anything to do with a stuck open valve.
You may need a new valve. You could get one of these Ford 6.0 Diesel EGR Eliminator - Spool W/clamps - bolts & O-ring/gasket set-OEM | eBay and use it to "test" your EGR valve. Just keep the valve plugged in and hung on the side somewhere.

To answer your question, yes a stuck open valve can cause issues and even cause the engine to die at low RPM.
Jeffheet likes this.

Dexter
2017 F-250 Lariat CCSB FX4 SRW- A few Forscan tweaks
My old Truck, now son's truck:
2004 F-250SD Lariat CCSB FX4 SRW; SCT X4 w/custom tunes (currently
SPD)

FICM;
FICM Tuner (currently Atlas40);
Stage 1.5 Turbo;

Stage 1 HPOP;
VK688 Oil Cooler Relocate with coolant re-route;
Water Pump;

O-ringed Heads; ARP Studs; Fel-Pro Gaskets;
Coolant Filter;
DashCommand on PLX Kiwi2 + iMFD with EGT & Fuel/Oil Pressure
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode