Can you help a dummy? - Page 2 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 26 Old 01-03-2017, 05:53 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Thank you for the advice and info. I bought this truck with all the BPD stuff done to it so I basically know nothing.

Im going to do some more research on that product.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 26 Old 01-03-2017, 10:53 PM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 815 Post(s)
OP did say he didn't hear the injectors cycling this last time. Ficm voltage and sync would be nice to know along with icp/ipr values. I'm no help on the cts but all the edge stuff I had in the past would work key on engine off. Is the cts more like the juice w/attitude or the insight? As far as using the obdII or hard wiring into the sensors. You could always pick up a scan gauge.

As far as the egr valve...I would assume since the truck is designed to use the egr at part throttle or low rpm conditions, that it should fire with it wide open. It's just bleeding in air from the exhaust and it's far enough away from the valves that it's not much different than blowing off a boost pipe. If it were a gasser and the leak was after the throttle blades I could see it affecting it. Feel free to correct me on this if I'm wrong. I've never actually looked into how it operates on the 6.0 specifically, just in general.

Sent from my 2PQ93 using Tapatalk

'04 F250 CCSB XLT 2WD, lowered with a DJM drop kit. 305/40/22" Toyo ST2's on 22" x 10" XD 825 wheels. FloPro turbo back 4" exhaust with muffler delete, egr delete, bypass coolant filter, S&B intake, NUC bypass oil filter.

'03 F250 CCSB Lariat 4WD, 9" lift, 40"x 15.5"x 24" Toyo M/T's on 24" x 14" Hostile Hammered wheels, 4" exhaust, egr delete.
post #13 of 26 Old 01-04-2017, 04:08 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
It's also smart to one day see if it's really bulletproofed... you have to take a bunch of stuff apart but the dealer could be throwing you for a bone, I bought my truck from a guy and he said it was bulletproofed and I looked around for a while and called him out that it wasn't, it just had a bunch of aftermarket stuff on it. Which is still good it's just not bf'd. A lot of people throw the whole bullet proofing phrase around but it's not accurate. You can have studded heads but they could not be bpd, you could have an aftermarket oil cooler but it not be bpd. It's all for the most part still good stuff tho but it is good to spend the money and get it all checked out one day

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 26 Old 01-04-2017, 07:47 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I have all the paper work from a very reliable diesel shop and receipts for $10k plus.

My mechanic ran tests on it and he said it looked as though one injector might be going out but he doesnt have the codes and numbers with him at work. The FICM was fine while cranking and he said the icp and pr values were correct. He is just doing this for me in the evenings...

Took off the EGR valve and it looks pretty darn clean and moves without sticking and smooth with spring retention. One concern is it was kinda moist but still no build up. Im pretty sure its getting some coolant there.
Jeffheet likes this.
post #15 of 26 Old 01-04-2017, 08:25 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I want to add. It runs for 30 seconds or so now and acts as though it runs out of fuel.

But my EGR valve is still out because im waiting for the install kit. Im not expecting to to run any better though as the valve seemed to be clean and working properly.
post #16 of 26 Old 01-04-2017, 08:31 AM
Premium Member

Wet egr valve means bad egr cooler for sure. If it'll run for abit then die might be worth pulling the upper fuel filter and see if your getting good fuel. When I first had my 03 I had a problem similar to this. Got to a point it would try but not fire off. No codes and I was chasing it without having anything reading out of the norm. I feel like a dumbass but it was just out of fuel and the gauge still read half a tank.

'04 F250 CCSB XLT 2WD, lowered with a DJM drop kit. 305/40/22" Toyo ST2's on 22" x 10" XD 825 wheels. FloPro turbo back 4" exhaust with muffler delete, egr delete, bypass coolant filter, S&B intake, NUC bypass oil filter.

'03 F250 CCSB Lariat 4WD, 9" lift, 40"x 15.5"x 24" Toyo M/T's on 24" x 14" Hostile Hammered wheels, 4" exhaust, egr delete.
post #17 of 26 Old 01-04-2017, 09:01 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

The upper fuel filter was the 1st thing we checked. Been there done that...

So any moisture means bad EGR cooler?

Can any coolant get in there any other way? Its just damp looking.
post #18 of 26 Old 01-04-2017, 09:09 AM
Premium Member

I've never heard or seen anything other than a bad cooler with a wet egr valve. You would have to have some serious issues to get coolant in there from elsewhere. Doesn't explain the dying issue just gives you one more to worry about.

post #19 of 26 Old 01-04-2017, 09:11 AM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,056 Times in 985 Posts
Mentioned: 200 Post(s)
Quoted: 2525 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankn101 View Post
The upper fuel filter was the 1st thing we checked. Been there done that...

So any moisture means bad EGR cooler?

Can any coolant get in there any other way? Its just damp looking.
Are you sure it not just damp with oil from the CCV system?

Dexter
2017 F-250 Lariat CCSB FX4 SRW- A few Forscan tweaks
My old Truck, now son's truck:
2004 F-250SD Lariat CCSB FX4 SRW; SCT X4 w/custom tunes (currently
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
SPD)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
FICM;
FICM Tuner (currently Atlas40);
Stage 1.5 Turbo;

Stage 1 HPOP;
VK688 Oil Cooler Relocate with coolant re-route;
Water Pump;

O-ringed Heads; ARP Studs; Fel-Pro Gaskets;
Coolant Filter;
DashCommand on PLX Kiwi2 + iMFD with EGT & Fuel/Oil Pressure
post #20 of 26 Old 01-04-2017, 09:32 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by G8orFord View Post
Are you sure it not just damp with oil from the CCV system?
No, I am not sure. What would that mean?

I just got the O rings and gasket and installed the valve. Well as it turns out one of the bolts was stripped and cant be tightened at all. I knew something was up when it calls for an 8mm socket and I needed a 10. Then when I got the valve out originally I notice a cut across the threaded hole like they cut out a bolt at one time with a die grinder.

nothing is easy. They are calling for 6-10" of snow and a high of 10* tomorrow so I wont be working on it until sunday or so.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode