About to ask a stupid question while sounding stupid - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old 05-05-2016, 06:56 PM Thread Starter
Stupidity pisses me off

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
About to ask a stupid question while sounding stupid

Ok,
I'm very mechanical BUT I've been so busy I haven't had time to properly diagnose my problem. My problem is, I have diesel fuel smell coming from the engine compartment (shocking I know) so I looked for maybe a total of 30 seconds, and saw "something" up front on the driver side look wet. I didn't take time to research what this "something" is, just took a quick look, and WHAM! closed the hood. Any common problems that cause diesel leak in this area? It's not coming from the fuel filter bowl.
Shim likes this.

2006 F350 CREW CAB LONG BED KING RANCH

99.5 F350 Super Cab Long Bed, Dually.
SOLD

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMKSTAX View Post

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
You are not right man, but i still think your funny as hell!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 05-05-2016, 06:58 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
How do we know that "something wet" is in fact diesel?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 19 Old 05-05-2016, 07:02 PM Thread Starter
Stupidity pisses me off

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogtown6.0 View Post
How do we know that "something wet" is in fact diesel?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
i tasted it, and it tastes like communist california diesel fuel

SOLD

Quote:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 05-05-2016, 07:04 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenmalards View Post
i tasted it, and it tastes like communist california diesel fuel

Ah... I see...if your smart enough to come up with that answer, then you shouldn't be asking a "stupid" question on the forum.
post #5 of 19 Old 05-05-2016, 07:30 PM
'consent of the governed'

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 2186 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Ah... I see...if your smart enough to come up with that answer, then you shouldn't be asking a "stupid" question on the forum.
How long have you been here? P.S. It's 'you're'. If you want to smack down, tighten it up. And as far as stupid questions on this forum, this isn't even in the top ten thousand.
john galt likes this.

Last edited by Patriot; 05-05-2016 at 07:35 PM.
post #6 of 19 Old 05-05-2016, 07:31 PM Thread Starter
Stupidity pisses me off

Quote:
I don't have the time, I didn't say I didn't have the ability. Just wondering if there was a common failure.
john galt likes this.

SOLD

Quote:

post #7 of 19 Old 05-05-2016, 07:32 PM
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,112 Times in 2,020 Posts
Mentioned: 428 Post(s)
Quoted: 3121 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I love this thread already
john galt likes this.

GD

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmaguire View Post
So says the internet... ...and so it shall be.
Quote:
Originally Posted by G8orFord View Post
OK, thanks for the info. To show my ignorance, what is the problem with 3 nipples...
post #8 of 19 Old 05-05-2016, 08:55 PM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,043 Times in 938 Posts
Mentioned: 276 Post(s)
Quoted: 1586 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
It sounds like stress corrosion cracking of the extruded diesel transport material. Thankfully, it's not that hard to check.

The use of ultra-low sulfur diesel (ULSD) fuels has raised corrosion concerns in the engine manufacturing, fuel storage and regulatory communities because ULSD is thought to be more corrosive than diesel fuels containing higher amounts of sulfur. Microbiologically induced stress corrosion cracking (MIC) is also a potential problem in all fuel systems, since fuel systems provide a readily available food source to microorganisms, including bacteria and fungi. Your best bet is to investigate the compositional effects that lead to stress corrosion cracking.

Your first step is to get a sample of the fluid. Wiping it up with your finger is fine. Transfer it to a piece of toilet paper quickly, though. Then, use a mixture of hydrogen peroxide, lighter fluid, and whipped mayonnaise (1/3-1/3-1/3) to establish the trace sulfur content, density, and water separation characteristics (the instructions are on the back of most containers of mayonnaise – not the generic crap!). You should also estimate the Rancimat storage stability and interfacial tension – although that's not as easy. Get some rice vinegar for that.

If you can get a second sample and subject it to some temperature cycling (in your microwave), you could then assess the mass loss according to ASTM D1654. Depending on the water content of the mixture, electrochemical impedance of direct corrosion rate and electrochemical potential can be measured. Accelerated exposure tests according to NACE TM0172-2001 can also be performed. This should indicate the relative corrosiveness of the fuel.

Next – to assess the physical condition of the extruded diesel transport material – it'd be really good if you could get your hands on a scanning electron microscope. Your local university should have one. If not, auger electron spectroscopy, infrared spectroscopy or ion chromatography would do a fine job of identifying the type and extent of corrosion damage.

Between the fuel analysis and the extruded diesel transport material analysis, you should have a pretty darned good idea whether stress corrosion cracking is the problem. Good luck.

Edited to add...
Sometimes extruded diesel transport material is call fuel line. I'm not sure why.
Patriot, HP MACHINE and beanoil like this.

2004 F550 CC Lariat
BPD oil cooler relocation and upgraded EGR cooler (spooled), BPD oil bypass filtration, aFe Magnum Force CAI, Mishi radiator, 7.3L fan clutch, EC1 ELC, XDP coolant bypass filtration, '08 trans pan/filter, PTP direct clutch solenoid, blue spring, 6.4 starter, MBRP y-pipe, BD boots/clamps, '05 intake elbow, ccv reroute, Torque Pro + OBDLink™ LX, Autometer EGT
post #9 of 19 Old 05-05-2016, 09:06 PM Thread Starter
Stupidity pisses me off

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot View Post
How long have you been here? P.S. It's 'you're'. If you want to smack down, tighten it up. And as far as stupid questions on this forum, this isn't even in the top ten thousand.
RIGHT! Plus, if you want to "smack down" ol' sevenmalards isn't the one. I've been on here ten years cupcake, and have done more work, repairs, mods, deletes on my rigs than you have dreamed of or watched on TV. I'm literally too busy right now to take the time to diagnose the issue myself, and as always turned to the OG's on the ORG for help.
john galt likes this.

SOLD

Quote:

post #10 of 19 Old 05-05-2016, 09:10 PM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,043 Times in 938 Posts
Mentioned: 276 Post(s)
Quoted: 1586 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Wait. You're serious?

Ummm... can you snap a pic?

2004 F550 CC Lariat
BPD oil cooler relocation and upgraded EGR cooler (spooled), BPD oil bypass filtration, aFe Magnum Force CAI, Mishi radiator, 7.3L fan clutch, EC1 ELC, XDP coolant bypass filtration, '08 trans pan/filter, PTP direct clutch solenoid, blue spring, 6.4 starter, MBRP y-pipe, BD boots/clamps, '05 intake elbow, ccv reroute, Torque Pro + OBDLink™ LX, Autometer EGT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode