LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 07-11-2019, 11:51 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Unhappy Rear Differential/Transfer Case question

Hi all,

My truck appeared to lose all gears and would grind when being put back into park. This happened naturally 2 hours into starting a vacation trip with the trailer.

Everyone even the folks at the Ford dealership in a small town kept saying transfer case. Ford even charged me $120 for that diagnosis. So naturally it took 5 days to finally get the truck and trailer back to my house via AAA towing. Now I can check the transfer case by putting it in gear and see if the drive line spins and they will tell that tale.

The tow company had an issue along the way and delivered it 17 hours later even though it was a 1 hour, 67 mile trip. They removed the drive line because they towed it with the 5th wheel attached to my truck. They started seeing smoke halfway down the highway. Turned out the was a left rear seal that started leaking and the bearing burned up. What they noticed was the the pinion where the drive line was mounted*to the differential*spins freely by hand with the wheels on the ground.

I know it shouldn't be doing that and I know that is a big problem. I was wondering if I remove the axle shafts to do both bearing and seals and probably a hub replacement on the drivers side, can I rebuild the diff gears with the axle still under the truck? If not I think it may be better to just swap in a used/rebuilt*rear end and call it a day.

Your insight is greatly appreciated as I have not traveled down this road yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-11-2019, 05:31 PM
Serving Our Country!

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
These trucks are not made to be towed four wheels on the ground. If I'm reading this correctly, the wrecker towed the truck all four wheels on the ground with the fifth wheel attached. That can do some damage. If this is the case, then there's some liability on the wrecker company and checking this yourself may ruin it. Basically, by the owners manual, the truck can be towed be a wrecker with the rear wheels off the ground and the front wheels on the ground. I don't think I've ever seen in America anything like a tow truck towing a pickup with a fifth wheel. I broke on the roadside before, but what I did was call a AAA tow truck for my truck, and at the time didn't have AAA for the RV, so a second wrecker was dispatched to me. Luckily, in my case, the problem got fixed before the truck showed up and I called to cancel. If its AAAs policy to send a single wrecker for both my truck and fifth wheel to tow both at once, I'll probably drop AAA.

I'm interest in comments from others about removing a driveline to tow both the truck and fifth wheel together if this is a valid method to tow or not.

2005 F250, 189,000 Miles
Bullet Proof HD Oil Cooler w/ Cold Weather Kit, Bullet Proof EGR, Bulletproof Water Pump, 7.3 Fan Clutch
Airlift 5k Airbags and Wireless Air
Edge CTS w/ EGT probe and Fuel Pressure Sensor.
15 MPG slick; 10 MPG towing 11k fifth wheel
Ravelco

6.0 Flush Procedure:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Good 6.0 Reading:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by ChrisSki; 07-11-2019 at 05:35 PM.
post #3 of 5 Old 07-11-2019, 05:41 PM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,045 Times in 974 Posts
Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 2509 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
From the sound of it, it really wasn't necessary for them to remove the driveshaft. It sounds like the rear end is toast. Pinion, ring gear or broken axle. With the bearing problem, I'd guess axle. Either way, you need to have someone that knows about differentials to check it out.

Dexter
2017 F-250 Lariat CCSB FX4 SRW- A few Forscan tweaks
My old Truck, now son's truck:
2004 F-250SD Lariat CCSB FX4 SRW; SCT X4 w/custom tunes (currently
SPD)

FICM;
FICM Tuner (currently Atlas40);
Stage 1.5 Turbo;

Stage 1 HPOP;
VK688 Oil Cooler Relocate with coolant re-route;
Water Pump;

O-ringed Heads; ARP Studs; Fel-Pro Gaskets;
Coolant Filter;
DashCommand on PLX Kiwi2 + iMFD with EGT & Fuel/Oil Pressure
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 07-20-2019, 05:15 AM

Thanked 1,799 Times in 1,743 Posts
Mentioned: 674 Post(s)
Quoted: 3873 Post(s)
Sounds like the rear end was always the issue and the truck would grind when you put it in park because the driveshaft was spinning even when the truck was still
you may just have a snapped axle shaft or ripped out the retaining bolts on the end of the axle shaft
Jjorgis5569 likes this.

6.0 flush pdf
post #5 of 5 Old 07-20-2019, 06:12 PM
BBBRRRRRTTTTT

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 593 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
They removed the driveshaft before towing or after the smoke.

Sounds like your rear end was the culprit the whole time though.

2016 F-250 Super Crew XLT 6.7L
2007 F-250 Super Cab XL 6.0L (sold)

C-A-P-S CAPS! CAPS! CAPS!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode