• 1 Post By jokester00
  • 1 Post By TooManyToys

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 10-03-2018, 07:13 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
no brakes HELP

06 powerstroke. Came to stop sign, no brakes. Sometimes I have pedal, other times pedal goes to floor. I suspect its a master cylinder but not sure. The truck doesnt have a brake booster like a car. This is this first ford I owned and just got it about 6 weeks ago. If anyone has advice, I'd greatly appreciate it...

2006 Powerstroke Lariat CCSW Long Bed
Bulletproofed
Trans. Cooler
New Heads
Head Gaskets
Studs
New Glow Plugs
EGR Delete
New Garrett Turbo
5 inch straight piped
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 10-03-2018, 07:29 AM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,067 Times in 996 Posts
Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Quoted: 2543 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
It does have a booster, it just works off of hydraulic pressure rather than vacuum like most other gas vehicles. However, with the pedal going to the floor, I doubt it's a booster problem. It's more likely the master cylinder like you said or possibly the ABS system. Whatever you do, stop driving it until you get it figured out. I assume you've checked the fluid level. Are there any signs of fluid leaking at the wheels? Not sure of the miles on the truck, but this would probably be a good time to go through the whole brake system and flush out the old fluid and know that you have dependable stopping power.

Dexter
2017 F-250 Lariat CCSB FX4 SRW- A few Forscan tweaks
My old Truck, now son's truck:
2004 F-250SD Lariat CCSB FX4 SRW; SCT X4 w/custom tunes (currently
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
SPD)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
FICM;
FICM Tuner (currently Atlas40);
Stage 1.5 Turbo;

Stage 1 HPOP;
VK688 Oil Cooler Relocate with coolant re-route;
Water Pump;

O-ringed Heads; ARP Studs; Fel-Pro Gaskets;
Coolant Filter;
DashCommand on PLX Kiwi2 + iMFD with EGT & Fuel/Oil Pressure
post #3 of 9 Old 10-04-2018, 03:59 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
The assist (booster) you have is hydraulic like all diesels since they don't use vacuum for assist like a gas engine.I think you should call a different supplier because unless someone has messed with your truck the parts guys can use your serial number to get you the right one. Also you could buy one here from a Ford dealer but it sounds like your in a hurry.

Randy

It's better to remain silent and thought a fool than speak up and remove all doubt! (Abe Lincoln)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 10-04-2018, 04:57 PM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,067 Times in 996 Posts
Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Quoted: 2543 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Not all diesels have a hydroboost. My 2017 uses a vacuum brake booster.
The vacuum doesn't come from the engine though. I'm not really sure why they chose to go that route. IMO the hydroboost is a better system, especially on these bigger trucks.

Dexter
2017 F-250 Lariat CCSB FX4 SRW- A few Forscan tweaks
My old Truck, now son's truck:
2004 F-250SD Lariat CCSB FX4 SRW; SCT X4 w/custom tunes (currently
SPD)

FICM;
FICM Tuner (currently Atlas40);
Stage 1.5 Turbo;

Stage 1 HPOP;
VK688 Oil Cooler Relocate with coolant re-route;
Water Pump;

O-ringed Heads; ARP Studs; Fel-Pro Gaskets;
Coolant Filter;
DashCommand on PLX Kiwi2 + iMFD with EGT & Fuel/Oil Pressure
post #5 of 9 Old 09-02-2019, 07:10 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Was this problem ever solved? I have the same problem on my 05 after front brake hoses, front brake pads, and driver side caliper. Bled several times and had good brakes then all of a sudden they were gone. One second I had them, the next second they were nonexistent, and the brake warning light came on. Checked fluid, it was low, but not empty. Checked for codes, nothing. I can push the pedal all the way to the floor with ease and make it stop, so it feels like air, but I couldn’t believe it would be air in the system after bleeding 3-4 times all the way around RR LR RF LF.

2000 Ford F250 TS Performance 6 Pos. Chip
post #6 of 9 Old 09-02-2019, 07:27 PM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Garage
Air in the ABS pump, you can make a few hard stops on gravel or dirt to activate the ABS system -- or use Forscan to flush the pump -- still will need to bleed the calipers again tho, since the pump will push the air thru the system

In my defense, I was unsupervised
2006 F250 Lariat FX4 cclb
Torque Pro and OBDLink MX bluetooth monitor
General note:
For all those wanting a premium silicone sealer Kubota 70000-73764 is the best your gonna find. This is a hybrid gray silicone that uses solvent rather than acid to start the curing reaction, this makes it safe for aluminum and and any surface that involves coolant.
post #7 of 9 Old 09-02-2019, 08:24 PM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 480 Post(s)
Garage
And make sure you didn't get the wrong caliper (passenger) for the driver side, because air doesn't like to go down...

-jokester
Hydro likes this.

2005 F350 CCLB FX4 Lariat
SCT SF3 - Currently running PHP 80hp Daily Driver Tune with Atlas 40 FICM Tune
Edge Insight CTS2 monitor
Edge EAS EGT probe
Edge EAS Fuel Pressure Sensor
post #8 of 9 Old 09-02-2019, 08:44 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Where is the pump located? I’m sure you’re right on the money because I didn’t know that the ABS system had anything to do with hydraulics. I thought that it was just an electrical signaling to not let the brakes lock up but that makes sense. I will try the hard stop thing, but I wonder if I’ll even be able to hard stop on loose gravel with the brakes not engaging correctly.

I know I got the driver’s side caliper correct because they had a $60 core charge with the mounting bracket. I examined it to make sure it was good to go and it was identical to the one I took off. Autozone rebuilt it but it even had Ford and matching part numbers stamped on it. I have good pressure coming from each bleeder screw, but I bet the ABS pump as hydro said is probably my problem. I will find it, bleed it, and bleed the calipers again and report back. I appreciate the replies.

2000 Ford F250 TS Performance 6 Pos. Chip
post #9 of 9 Old 09-24-2019, 07:58 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Autozone doesn't rebuild it, they source it from the cheapest rebuilder they can find. All calipers are going to say Ford on it. Ford contracted TRW to manufacture the calipers and they all have the Ford insignia on them.

The point about the bleeder screw is that the calipers left to right are interchangeable, it's only the bleeder screw location that is different and even some shop mechanics have installed the wrong side caliper, especially when the rebuilder puts the wrong caliper in the box. So it's important to check as an upside-down caliper has the characteristics you are experiencing.

So does air in the ABS controller, which consists of electronically controlled valves, pressure pump, and accumulator. If during a caliper change fluid was allowed to drain out of the master cylinder, air usually gets into the ABS unit. That's a bear to get out without having the computer control to activate the valves, pump, and accumulator. There's no bleeder screw on the ABS unit, which on your truck is located near the master cylinder on the driver's side. It has all the hydraulic lines going to it.

Dexter,

Ford went to all vacuum to try to save money. A vacuum boosted system does not have as high of an assisted hydraulic pressure as the hydro boosted units. I agree, with heavy GVW's I prefer the HB in all situations. Until the power steering pump fails. Nothing like loss of assist in both brakes and steering at the same time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Boosted Comparison.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	814.2 KB
ID:	723463  
jokester00 likes this.

Jack
Former Vehicle Test Manager, Friction Products.
03 F350SC 4x4 6.0 Auto 5/30/03

YouTube Videos - TooManyToys

Never buy a Ford Remanufactured motor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode