5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 03-21-2016, 07:20 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Transmission fluid HOT too quick?

Hello all.
So I recently got an OBD wifi monitor to be able to read the essentials on my 2006 Ford F-250 6.0. I was reading my transmission fluid temp, and it was getting up there pretty quick. I did feel the truck a bit sluggish, but it got a bit better as ECT n OIL TEMP got hotter. Then my trans guage went to 280! I had read on another thread, that it should only reach 220 tops, and that's with towing. I am not towing anything. So I checked fluid and it seems to me full. Any idea on what the problem could be??? I don't wanna have to do a trans job. Big $$$$

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 03-21-2016, 09:48 AM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,056 Times in 985 Posts
Mentioned: 200 Post(s)
Quoted: 2525 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I don't believe the trans would last very long at 280, so my guess is a bad PID or a biased sensor. Either way I'd get it checked sooner than later to make sure. Have you checked the temp prior to cranking after a cold soak? Did the fluid smell burnt at all?
Gadgetguru likes this.

Dexter
2017 F-250 Lariat CCSB FX4 SRW- A few Forscan tweaks
My old Truck, now son's truck:
2004 F-250SD Lariat CCSB FX4 SRW; SCT X4 w/custom tunes (currently
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
SPD)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
FICM;
FICM Tuner (currently Atlas40);
Stage 1.5 Turbo;

Stage 1 HPOP;
VK688 Oil Cooler Relocate with coolant re-route;
Water Pump;

O-ringed Heads; ARP Studs; Fel-Pro Gaskets;
Coolant Filter;
DashCommand on PLX Kiwi2 + iMFD with EGT & Fuel/Oil Pressure
post #3 of 15 Old 03-21-2016, 10:24 AM
Serving Our Country!

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Garage
^^^ What he said. PID is probably wrong.

- Michael
- If being an NCO was easy, we'd be called Officers.

2017 F350 Lariat DRW
- Click
for details

Sold 05OCT16 - 2006 F350 DRW - 175/Stock, UCF o-ringed heads, KC Stage 2 - Click
for details

Traded 01SEP18 '11 Ram 2500 Big Horn (Wife's), 6.7L Cummins - Click
for details
'13 XLR Hyperlite Toy Hauler 5er

Ford diesel documents

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 03-21-2016, 12:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by G8orFord View Post
I don't believe the trans would last very long at 280, so my guess is a bad PID or a biased sensor. Either way I'd get it checked sooner than later to make sure. Have you checked the temp prior to cranking after a cold soak? Did the fluid smell burnt at all?

So I just checked my trans dip stick. My truck has been sitting for about 7 hours. And it's reading higher than the H level!?!? I'm not sure what to make of this. Can it be overfilled and having these issues??

post #5 of 15 Old 03-21-2016, 04:31 PM
Premium Member

Garage
It's likely that it will show over full after sitting for a while due to drain back. You are supposed to check it hot/warm while the engine is running. If it really is substantially over filled, it could cause some minor heat issues, but not like you're temps show. Did you check the temp after it sat for those 7 hours?

Dexter
SPD)

FICM;
Stage 1.5 Turbo;

Stage 1 HPOP;
Water Pump;

Coolant Filter;
post #6 of 15 Old 03-21-2016, 04:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
It's likely that it will show over full after sitting for a while due to drain back. You are supposed to check it hot/warm while the engine is running. If it really is substantially over filled, it could cause some monor heat issues, but not like you're temps show. Did you check the temp after it sat for those 7 hours?

Yes the temp was at about 150-160 when I fired it up at the end of my shift. When I got home, I checked it in neutral, and it read normal. If the trans was actually the 300 degrees it was marking, the fluid should have been hot to the touch. It wasn't ,and it read the level being in the middle

post #7 of 15 Old 03-21-2016, 04:41 PM
'consent of the governed'

Mentioned: 282 Post(s)
Quoted: 2184 Post(s)
Garage
Bad sensor. Replace.
Heavy_GD and Dogtown6.0 like this.
post #8 of 15 Old 03-21-2016, 04:42 PM
Premium Member

Garage
If the temp was at 150 after a 7 hour cold soak, you have a sensor or PID problem like I said before. Now to figure out which one. Are you using Torque? If so, there are two TFT PIDs. One works properly, the other usually follows ECT pretty closely, but your numbers do not make sense for either one.
ZMANN and Dogtown6.0 like this.

Dexter
SPD)

FICM;
Stage 1.5 Turbo;

Stage 1 HPOP;
Water Pump;

Coolant Filter;
post #9 of 15 Old 03-21-2016, 06:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
If the temp was at 150 after a 7 hour cold soak, you have a sensor or PID problem like I said before. Now to figure out which one. Are you using Torque? If so, there are two TFT PIDs. One works properly, the other usually follows ECT pretty closely, but your numbers do not make sense for either one.

I'm using a wifi OBD monitor for my iPhone. The app I use is OBD fusion. It also has PIDs specifically for ford. The temp for trans fluid is only available for the ford PID, there isn't another available. I tried the torque app for android. The problem I had with it was it dropped the HPOP data, it wasn't consistent.

post #10 of 15 Old 03-21-2016, 06:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot View Post
Bad sensor. Replace.

Bad sensor? Do you know how many the truck has? Is this a pricey part or a tough job? Or is it a weekend job? Thanks for the input by the way

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode