Selecting new ride... for the wife - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Wives/ Girlfriends/ Kids Forum For all the people that put up with the addiction to get addicted themselves!!!

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2011, 04:29 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Selecting new ride... for the wife

We guys me and my wife-tobe are looking at getting her a new vehicle towards this summer and I would like some input on the decision. This vehicle will be her daily driver and needs to last her i would say at least 8-10 years. There are only two main requirements that are set in stone and they are 1. 4x4 2. 4 door. Those are the two main things that I am for sure on. I have looked at SUVs but I want them to be a good size because they are safer in a wreck and I am 6'2 and I am going to ride in it as well at times as it will be our vacation vehicle. Also once you get into the larger SUVs they don't get any better mileage than a truck and cost just as much or more to fix. So i think a truck would be a better option and I have looked at getting a new Tundra as they are pretty impressive but they are $36K new and the used ones hold their value to well, and only get 13/17 city/highway and that is if you baby it. So i was thinking about either an F150 or maybe a late 6.0 or 6.4 with around 75k-120k on it. Like I said this would be her daily driver and there would be city driving a lot. To be honest we don't need that large of vehicle but I feel safer knowing that she is in a large vehicle and with some work these diesels can get better mileage than the Tundra. I have also thought about a Duramax for her as they get pretty good mileage but I am a Ford guy and would like to stick with them... I am looking for your input on what we should look at.

If you recommend us looking for a 6.0 or 6.4 tell me what mods you would suggest to help improve the mileage over stock. She is kind of a heavy footed driver which i know will not help but every little bit helps. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2011, 07:42 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Unhappy

18 views not one suggestion... http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/ima...lies/frown.gif bump
Old 02-06-2011, 07:43 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Unhappy

18 views not one suggestion... bump
Old 02-06-2011, 07:46 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

well i think a diesel is a bad idea....i mean if ur looking for mpg i wouldnt get one...i understand size...but ur winning one and losing the other....I would look at the new grand cherokee.....my mom just got a new 11...and damn its nice...the ride is great and way more room then i would have ever thought....im 6ft and love sitting in the back!!
Old 02-06-2011, 08:02 PM

Send a message via AIM to tonypagnano
did you look at like lets say a toyota highlander? or 4 door f 150?
Old 02-06-2011, 08:06 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I haven't looked at the jeep Grand Cherokee because I have never and any experience with jeeps but I will most defiantly take a look... As far as the highlander she didn't really like the look of it and I feel that it isn't going to be able to pull to well as here before long we will have horses. I have looked at the F150s but I am a little unsure about them because they came out with entirely brand new motors this year
Old 02-06-2011, 08:08 PM

I second the new Grand Cherokee as they are simply awesome. Finally an offroad capable Grand Cherokee again and the new Pentastar V6 is fantastic power wise and fuel economy wise. It's been described as truly returning to the roots of Jeep, albeit with comfort.

I would suggest the CRD Jeeps but they are let down by the vehicle around them, although the 3.0 CRD Grand Cherokee isn't too bad.
Old 02-06-2011, 08:09 PM

well a jeep might not be a good idea if ur gonna tow....i didnt read anything about towing must have missed that....but other then that its really nice....as all the add ons....but i guess it could tow some wat...
Old 02-06-2011, 08:12 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I forgot to add that she will need to be able to do some towing with it.
Old 02-06-2011, 08:17 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to 2003kingranch
Well if you want a truck. i would get a 6.4. dont get me wrong i love the sound of my 6.0 but a 6.0 needs a ton of work to be reliable. a 6.4 is a better motor. they get horrid mileage stock. like 8-12. first off get a 5" MBRP turbo back exhaust with or without a muffler. get a H&S tuner.(egr delete eventually). i have herd that people get the best mileage with the 310hp tune. and an airaid intake. or whatever other brand. DO NOT GET A K&N INTAKE!!!!!!!!!!!. after that you should have no problem getting 20ies on the highway. i dont own a 6.4 so im going to let the 6.4 guys handle the rest
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.