Wisconsin Window Tint Law - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2010, 02:04 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Wisconsin Window Tint Law

Well it happened... I got pulled over again. This time by a state trooper hunting for a DUI. (Good thing I don't drink and drive) Anyway since this was the second time that I got pulled over by a state trooper. I got a ticket for illegal window tint on my right front window to the tune of $175 and 2 points. I also got a written warning for my decal on the back window, no proof of insurance, speeding in a 30 mph zone and 3 warnings for the other 3 windows of my Fusion. I don't understand how they can take points for a vehicle issue. So now I had to waste 3 hours removing tint from the side windows of my car and the Ford oval from the back windows of both my car and truck. Sorry for the rant but I'm just a little irritated about this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2010, 02:52 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I think the sticker in the back window issue is the most ridiculous thing ever... Unless the sticker cover 100% of the back glass and can't be seen through, I don;t know what the issue is... (if any LEOs here care to elaborate, please do)

As far as the tint thing, I understand the reasoning behind the laws but I do understand your frustration on the situation man... It sucks. Sorry But I also don;t see how a 'faulty/improper equipment' ticket can add points to you license...
Old 07-24-2010, 05:46 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Here's what I had on my back window. When I sat in the seat and looked in the rearview mirror I could see clear as day through the center of the Ford lettering. The tint was 20% which is no darker than what comes on the rear side windows of brand new superdutys from the factory.

I had the same decal on my truck.
Old 07-24-2010, 05:49 PM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
WTF did he meter the windows. 20% is legal
Old 07-24-2010, 06:22 PM
Powerstroke Techie

nope 50% on front side windows and 35% on all the rest unless it's factory.
Go to page 8 of attached file. Section TR305.32 describes window tint and decals on windows and what's legal.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf trans305.pdf (110.0 KB, 381 views)

Last edited by forddieseldoctor; 07-24-2010 at 06:27 PM.
Old 07-24-2010, 06:27 PM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
Quote:
Originally Posted by forddieseldoctor View Post
nope 50% on front side windows and 35% on all the rest unless it's factory.
If you matched the factory back its legal. The factory stuff on the superduties is 50%

Ive had it for over a year all the way around with no issues
Old 07-24-2010, 06:31 PM
Powerstroke Techie

A stock clear un-tinted window is 75 % So basically if you stand on one side of your truck and look straight through that's basically 50 % tint. The tint is numbered by the amount of light it allows through. And just for the record the rear windows are approx 20% tint. That's what Ford puts on the back windows of everything that comes with factory tint.
Old 01-13-2011, 06:35 PM

FYI the point that you got on the ticket is non moving points that is for the window tint. It does not count against you 12 moving point that you can get. If you count all the points that I have racked up though the years has to be in the 150 range. It's like if you get pulled over for speeding and the cop gives you a defective speedo ticket it doesn't count against your moving points you are allowed in a year. As for the tint please don't quote me on this one but if I remember this one right on the driver and passenger windows the tint cannot exceed 35%. Now for the rear passenger windows and rear window you can have limo tint and still be legal.(ie...20%) You can have tint on your windshield or an eyebrow but off hand I can't remember how long it can be from from the top to the bottom. Off hand I think it is 4" at max I think. As for the sticker on the back window it cannot block the window I think that it cannot block your view at all. Please do not quote me on all of these things this is just what I was told over the years by the cops that pulled me over and gave me tickets for over the years and it has been years since I have gotten a ticket for these things and the laws may have changed since then and for that I don't know so good luck and I hope this helps you a bit.
Old 01-13-2011, 07:25 PM
Mod Newbie

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I've always wondered why they feel they can ticket us but they drive around in their unmarked cars and cruisers with windows just as dark or darker? It's a bunch of BS. I've started calling in on cops and giving car numbers and times for window tint and watching them turn their lights on to get through a light and then turn them back off as soon as they get through the intersection. One of these days I'd like to walk up to a cop and his punk a**!

On a sidenote, I did have a cop talking to a me and a friend a few days ago about his Cummins. We were working on replacing a CP3 pump on a D-Max. The cop walked up to us and said it was a nice D-Max and then asked How many gallons of gas it held. I told him 0 dumba**, it's a diesel. Small victory in my opinion.

Last edited by dhanna6powerstroke; 01-13-2011 at 07:46 PM.
Old 01-13-2011, 07:33 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to A8050266 Send a message via MSN to A8050266 Send a message via Yahoo to A8050266
Signs.. Signs... every where the Signs... ARG!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.