DOT stamp on aluminum wheels -- UGLY!!! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Wheels, Tires, and Brakes Here's where you can post all your topics and questions about wheels, tires and brakes.
Sponsored by Discount Tire

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2014, 04:47 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
DOT stamp on aluminum wheels -- UGLY!!!

Who would want their brand new, expensive 19.5 aluminum wheels stamped with the required DOT tire/wheel data at all, but right on the polished rim?

So I'm not using these in any commercial way, which is the reason for the DOT stamp to begin with, or so the wheel manufacturer is telling me. I think it would sand out and buff back fine, but thought I'd ask if anyone had done this.

-Rodger
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2014, 05:00 PM

thats your call.... gotta remember that 19.5's are a DOT commercial wheel size. they have to go with the needs of the majority of end users i guess. The wheel lip is certainly thick enough to sand through the 1/32" max depth of the stamp. Is it really big enough to bother you? what if you just sanded the portion of the stamp thats actually above the surface of the wheel?
Old 06-18-2014, 05:38 PM

It's 2 lines about 6" long. Character height is about 1/4" or so. I can read it standing up and about 10 foot back, and I have bad eyesight. I did give thought to sanding off the raised stamp edge and buffing it down. That would let the letters actually be readable still. I suppose I would try that first if I do anything to them.

-Rodger
Old 06-18-2014, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marjamar View Post
It's 2 lines about 6" long. Character height is about 1/4" or so. I can read it standing up and about 10 foot back, and I have bad eyesight. I did give thought to sanding off the raised stamp edge and buffing it down. That would let the letters actually be readable still. I suppose I would try that first if I do anything to them.

-Rodger
Wow! I didn't know they were that big.

Sent from one of the worst apps in the world
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.