100% highwayuse 275/65r20 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Wheels, Tires, and Brakes Here's where you can post all your topics and questions about wheels, tires and brakes.
Sponsored by Discount Tire

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2014, 03:15 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
100% highwayuse 275/65r20

Hi, its me again.

In cause that i always have to specialorder my tires here in germany, i would like to ask you for the best 275/65r20 126S/R tires for 100% german autobahn use.
In the moment Wranglers are mounted but they are not really comfortable on streets and especially on high speed.

I don't know the tire brands in the USA. In germany Conti, Dunlop and Michelin are always good tires. Are they in the USA good too? And who are General Tires or Nitto Tires?

I need good grip in every driving situation on asphalt.

Tac
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Tac For This Useful Post:
bertieb (06-14-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2014, 11:39 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Noone can help me?
Old 06-14-2014, 03:49 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I've been riding on Michelins for 7 years & 150k miles. Ride great on asphalt.
Old 06-14-2014, 03:55 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Sir Michelin makes one of the best tires around. Get yourself a good set of their highway tires and you will love them I'm sure of it. 270,000 miles and up on 20 trucks or so at dad's work. That's all they run. But different sizes of course. Btw if you can get a taller sidewall and more narrow tire it could help on mileage possibly not much though and the taller sidewall would give a better ride. I hope this helps. If you have any questions feel free to ask
Old 06-16-2014, 03:33 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

To change the tire size, especially the tire height, i must solve many regulations and tests here, including adjusting the speedometer. And all must be reviewed by a government accredited technical assessor.
Nothing to do by yourself.
And the tire loadindex must be the same or higher. And 126 is at least pretty high, if you don't want to change to 19.5 or 22.5 inch lorry tires.

So the Michelin M/S2 would be a good tire.
What about the Grabber HTS? Would save 400$ on the set.
Old 06-16-2014, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tac View Post
To change the tire size, especially the tire height, i must solve many regulations and tests here, including adjusting the speedometer. And all must be reviewed by a government accredited technical assessor.
Nothing to do by yourself.
And the tire loadindex must be the same or higher. And 126 is at least pretty high, if you don't want to change to 19.5 or 22.5 inch lorry tires.

So the Michelin M/S2 would be a good tire.
What about the Grabber HTS? Would save 400$ on the set.
I just did a little research and check on some reviews. They have a bad rep for tires separating at tread and sidewall nots. And to make matters worse they were new tires and no one was able to get warranty defect on them. So i suggest Michelin tires. You said it yourself you do lots of highway driving. You will be able to get good mileage out of Michelin and if something goes wrong you won't have a problem getting warranty from them. Plus I wouldn't put my life on line with cheap tires if you drive highway all the time. Oh and not to mention it seem they are only getting 25-30k miles out of those grabbers. And Michelin depending on which ones you will see around 60k or better. So i hope his helps you. And if you want to go a bit taller i dont know what all you have to have done but your speedo can be recalibrated at a dealership but might be hard for you over there.
Old 06-17-2014, 01:16 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mainproblem on other tire dimensions is the Loadindex. If i would buy tires with a lower LI, i have to lower the GAWR. The rearaxle has 7000lbs weight rating. If i would mount tires with just 3200lbs, i have to lower the GAWR to 6400lbs or 6200 with security margin, in the official vehicle papers.
And i have to lower the GVWR, because on the axleratings i have raised the GVWR to 12500lbs.
I know vehicle figures are chiseled in stone in the USA. In Germany not. Here we can adjust all figures if and only if a government accredited technical assessor proofs the security of the adjustments.

Example:
Weight ratings. Tires 3750lbs, Rims 3590lbs, Springs 3690lbs, Brakes 6000lbs and Axle 4000lbs. Limiting factor are the rims. If i change the rims to other rims with 3690lbs weight rating, i could get a legal 7280lbs GAWR on the rear axle. If all figures are aproofed by the assessor.
Next. GAWR front axle 6000lbs, rear axle 7280lbs, Frame 13000lbs. Possible GVWR 13000lbs.

Other example. We can buy a highly tuned VW Golf here, with a 3.6l biturbo V6. 745HP.
But you will never, never, never get a registration, if you only build in the engine. You have to modify the gearbox, the tires, rims and the hole Suspension system to get the vehicle safe and street legal. And a registration. And the only person who can aproof that all is good and safe is the assessor. And only if he gives his okay by several offical documents, you get the registration and your Golf on the streets.

And btw. I will not get any warranty on the tires. I have to order them by a dealer, but they are a special individual order, so no warranty for me.

Last edited by Tac; 06-17-2014 at 01:30 AM.
Old 06-17-2014, 02:08 AM

the factory spec Michelins would be my recommendation
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.