Review: Toyo Open Country M/T - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Wheels, Tires, and Brakes Here's where you can post all your topics and questions about wheels, tires and brakes.
Sponsored by Discount Tire

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2014, 02:13 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Review: Toyo Open Country M/T

Brand: Toyo
Model: Open Country M/T
Price: Currently $387.99ea on 4wheelparts.com with free shipping
Size: 35 x 12.5 x 20
Tread Depth New: 20/32”
Current Tread Depth: 20/32”
Mileage when installed: 87,080
Current mileage: 88,179
Total mileage: 1,099
Comparison Tire: Goodyear Wrangler AT/S

Appearance
Very aggressive and bulky looking tread pattern consistent with a M/T mud tire. Tread lugs are very deep at 20/32” brand new. Very aggressive sidewall lugs, one of only a few tires with sidewall lug design.

Noise
These tires produce a fair amount of noise/hum. Obviously, much more than stock tires. I have had Goodyear Duratrac tires on my prior truck and these produce ~20% more hum than those. With the windows down, wind essentially cancels out the noise. Normal radio volume overcomes the road noise for the most part. I feel that they are noisier in town 40-50mph versus highway 60-80mph which is surprising and beneficial in my opinion. I attribute the noise level of these tires to the lug depth. All in all, these are a mud tire and this should be expected when purchasing a tire of this caliber.

Traction
Traction is impressive, both dry and wet. On dry roads, even with my 500HP tune, the tires grab traction extremely well. Wet traction is a high point for the Open Country M/T tire, under moderately hard acceleration, the tires don’t slip, don’t spin and provide predictable tracking. My truck would spin the stock tires (with 75% tread) under light acceleration in rain all the time and would “float” doing normal city (40-60mph) driving. I never felt comfortable as those tires were unpredictable. The deep lug pattern of the Open Country M/T help channel water away and provide a nice stable track.

Wear
No wear yet – will update.

Ride Comfort & Stability
General ride is comfortable, not really any stiffer than the stock Goodyear tires. I can feel the lugs when starting from a dead stop, but cannot feel them when slowing to a stop. These tires do not seem to have any side roll and feel very stable up to 100mph (at least that’s as fast as I’ve been with them.

Towing
No experience yet – will update.

Overall
I am beyond happy with these tires so far. I will be sure to update if I have any more information as I gain more experience with the tires. I am looking forward to testing them in the snow next winter, but that update will have to wait for quite awhile.

Feel free to ask questions and I will update the ongoing thread as I gain more mileage with them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2014, 11:16 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Thanks for the review, I am very happy with mine as well and have over 20,000 on mine now with over well over half the tread left. I rotate every 5,000. Some people bash the toyo's (haters love to hate) but there is a reason you see them on more trucks than any other tire.
The Following User Says Thank You to Gapowerstroke For This Useful Post:
gbalaz (04-18-2014)
Old 05-20-2014, 12:35 PM

How many miles is everyone getting out of their toyo m/t's
Old 05-20-2014, 12:43 PM

just around 40k for a 36/18 on my last set
Old 05-20-2014, 02:38 PM

Very detailed review. I predict you will grow to love them, I love mine. (first set, but looks like I'll stick with them) The "E" load range seems to hold up well under these heavy diesels. Those aggressive sidewall lugs really help protect the sidewall when aired down off road, and seem to add to the already incredible traction. I go down to 20psi off road. I may try out 15 next time, sidewalls are stiff and I run a narrow wheel, so I haven't peeled a bead yet. (not apposed to beadlocks, just can't afford them yet) I've noticed the same about the noise. Mine are quieter at 65 than 45. I love the hum at 45, not too loud, just enough to provide a nice soundtrack to the truck. (other than the 7.3 clatter)
Old 05-20-2014, 04:05 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by banshee-rider View Post
How many miles is everyone getting out of their toyo m/t's
Getting ready to replace mine. Will get to 40k before they are retired in a few weeks. Plan to get another set, though in size 295/65/20.

These are incredibly tough tires.
Old 05-20-2014, 04:40 PM

I love mine also (35/20). They were on the truck when I bought it so I dont know how many miles the guy before me had on them but Im getting ready to get new ones. I love the look and have never had a problem so no need to go with something different. I drove around all winter with them in MD in deep snow and ice and they did fine.
Old 05-20-2014, 04:41 PM

That's great to hear, I have had several sets of a/t's now I am going to a 37 and a/t II's aren't offered in that size.
Old 05-20-2014, 07:59 PM

48,800 on my '03 with M/T's & love 'em. They have 5/32nds left now. I got 57k out of the previous set of A/T's, but the off-road capability was just not there.

Just picked up my Platinum '14 today, and it is scheduled for the level lift, wheels, and a set of 35/12.50's tomorrow.
Old 05-21-2014, 05:40 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by banshee-rider View Post
That's great to hear, I have had several sets of a/t's now I am going to a 37 and a/t II's aren't offered in that size.
While I like the looks of the AT2s, I realized that in the size I want (295/65/20) they only have 2 ply sidewalls. That's a deal breaker for me as I often carry a 4k LB Lance camper. So sticking with the MTs which have 3 ply sidewalls.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.