Strange Brake Issue - '01 F250 PSD - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Wheels, Tires, and Brakes Here's where you can post all your topics and questions about wheels, tires and brakes.
Sponsored by Discount Tire

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2014, 12:31 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Strange Brake Issue - '01 F250 PSD

Hi all, new to the forum. I'm having a weird braking issue on my 'new' 2001 f250 diesel, AT, 112k miles.

If I brake normally, the pedal will depress pretty far with minimal resistance. Once it's pretty low it will firm up and then slow the truck as normal. Sometimes the ABS light is on.

I had it at a shop and and they found a leak in rear-left brake line and fluid was low. Once that section of line was replaced it actually seemed to fix the problem- but the same issue came back just 2 days later. I took it back to them and they said it wasn't leaking. I bled both rear lines when I got home to be sure and didn't find any air.

I've found that if I quickly apply brake that the pedal will be firm immediately and will stay firm so long as I keep constant pressure on it- but as soon as I let off a bit then the pedal will lower under the weight of my foot and then firm up again when near the floor.

I've read that if the system runs low then air can get in ABS unit and needs to be bled w/ special tool or by engaging ABS and re-bleeding. So I did some hard stops on wet pavement and the ABS didn't seem to be cycling. Further confusing me, I found that after especially aggressive full stops that the truck would not accelerate afterwards- I'd then shift thru gears and push on brake pedal a few times then it would accelerate and drive as normal... this was not a one-off thing, it did it after 3 or so different hard stops.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2014, 04:53 AM
Premium Member

There is still air in the system... I just fought it too. A pressure bleeder is about the only thing you can do or take it to somebody that can do a service bleed of the ABS, then rebleed all 4 corners.
Old 03-11-2014, 04:08 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I had it back at Firestone today- they said the issue is the hydroboost, but sited no other reason than the feel of the pedal... Seeing as they originally said the issue was the leaking brake line I'm not inclined to trust them. And regardless they don't change hydroboost units as they've had "bad luck" with them- they told me to go to the dealer.

There is a small power steering fluid leak (not sure if from the pump or a fitting). Prior to the brake issue the steering was getting hard so I flushed the power steering and that immediately fixed the steering issue- though afterwards the brakes were no better- maybe even a little worse.

Schlutzer, I asked them about bleeding the ABS or re-checking for air in the system- they didn't really entertain the idea, they seemed pretty sure it was hydroboost and didn't want anything to do with it.
Old 03-16-2014, 05:32 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Issue was just master cylinder after-all...

Bizzare Brake Issue - '01 F250 PSD - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
abs, air, bleed, hydroboost, pedal

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.