Discount Tire Issues - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Wheels, Tires, and Brakes Here's where you can post all your topics and questions about wheels, tires and brakes.
Sponsored by Discount Tire

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2014, 03:37 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Discount Tire Issues

I usually am one to not complain. Rather use this site to only learn, read, and chime in when I can help but my dealings with Discount Tire Sawmill Rd, Columbus, OH today shot me through the roof.

I went to purchase 35x12.50x20 Nitto Trail Grappler's for my 08 F250 with OEM 20" option wheels.

I currently have 35x12.50x20 Cooper Discoverer STT tires on it and have calibrated my speedometer accordingly.

1. The Store Manager firstly didn't want to allow me to fill out my tax exemption form through their online portal. His understanding of the tax exemption process was null. This took him 35 minutes to understand.

2. Secondly he refused to install the tires on my wheels due to the OEM width of 8". 15 minutes

3. He then tried to up-sell me a set of wheels to allot for the increased width. Less than 5 minutes as I was finally pissed off.

Needless to say my family and I will not be returning to this location or any discount tire again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2014, 03:46 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I think that guy has issues as I've really good experiences and customer service with my local discount tire. Didn't want the tire protection plan because of their price and told them I thought it was to high. He brought the tire price down so when it was said and done I only paid 50 bucks more with the protection plan than I would have paying full retail price on just tires alone. Already spending 1200 dollars what was 50 more and with peace of mind if a tire has a problem I can get another at no cost. I'd try a different discount tire next time
Old 02-27-2014, 03:54 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

It would be highly unlikely since I was going to pay cash to the total of almost $1,600. My time that was wasted by them is enough to warrant my complaint.
Old 02-27-2014, 04:04 PM

I paid cash too and I'm not saying your complaint isn't valid because time is important. But I definitely wouldn't go back to the same discount tire again if I were you IMO.
Old 02-27-2014, 04:09 PM

Devils advocate here

tax exempt gets a lot of vendors specially when they see the product going on your truck and not actually resale

as far as tire vs rim I don't have the specs but if it wasn't going on the recommended size rim I can't fault them at all

do I love Discount ? not at all matter of fact I kinda hate them but they are easy and cheap you just have to watch their work

edit

it looks like spec is 8.5" i just can't ***** at a guy who won't do this , does it suck yes but his job may be on the line ?

Last edited by ZMANN; 02-27-2014 at 04:14 PM.
Old 02-27-2014, 04:37 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Discount tire has 875 stores, you dealt with one guy having a slow day and who stuck to the rules on the install because they do not accept liability... time to have a beer and move on.

If you want a mom and pop custom feel I'm sure you can find it for a little more money.

If you want a discount, well, you sometimes trade service and competence.

Last edited by Heavy_GD; 02-27-2014 at 04:43 PM.
Old 02-27-2014, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMANN View Post
Devils advocate here

tax exempt gets a lot of vendors specially when they see the product going on your truck and not actually resale

as far as tire vs rim I don't have the specs but if it wasn't going on the recommended size rim I can't fault them at all

do I love Discount ? not at all matter of fact I kinda hate them but they are easy and cheap you just have to watch their work

edit

it looks like spec is 8.5" i just can't ***** at a guy who won't do this , does it suck yes but his job may be on the line ?
This. They wont put air in tires mounted on 19.5 inch rims either. Needed air pretty bad in a tire on our 450 and stopped at discount tire near our job and while the tech was airing up my tire his manager happened to walk by and laid into him pretty good and asked him if he wanted to get fired. I asked him why they couldn't air it up and his reasoning was that if the sidewalls let go it'd be a nasty explosion. While I agree it wouldn't be pretty I thought it was kind of a dumb policy. But it is their policy so I can't be mad at them.
Old 02-27-2014, 05:06 PM

If it were me I'd definitely take my complaints up with a regional manager or other appropriate entity...I've bought atleast 10 sets of tires over the last 15 years through Discount all over Texas and never had anything but EXCELLENT customer service and the best price as well...Hell, last year when I bought my Toyos for my new truck they beat the lowest price I could find on the internet. I'm sorry you had a bad experience but truly believe that the issue is the person you dealt with not the company...Good Luck

Last edited by boatpilot; 02-27-2014 at 05:06 PM. Reason: sp
Old 02-28-2014, 05:17 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

If you are a Store Manager I would hope for some competence?

Most mom and pop shops will beat their price as well as the internet prices. I called one after lunch and they beat DiscountTire and tirebuyer.com by another $10 a tire so if anyone out there is looking to buy some Nitto Trail Grappler's in 35x12.50x20 don't pay over $355 a tire before install. I also spoke to the local GM for Walmart. They will beat the prices as well. I'll give my money to the mom and pop shop before them but wanted to vet all options.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.