Little tire help please - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Wheels, Tires, and Brakes Here's where you can post all your topics and questions about wheels, tires and brakes.
Sponsored by Discount Tire

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-10-2014, 11:00 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 161
Thanks: 4
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Little tire help please

whats going on everyone right now i have 20 inch rockstars wrapped with 35x13.50 and i love how the truck looks with my 4 inch lift and these rims but i HATE that fact that its such a ***** to turn these things from a dead stop.. and i do tow a lot so it makes it a task backing a trailer up with these on and i still have my stock rims as well.. whats that biggest tire or a decent size tire that won't make that truck look stupid with a lift and stock rims? i want to have a nice space not a HUGE dum look to my truck with stock rims.. what tire are u running on a lift and stock rims? and any issues with turning them?

thanx for all your help..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 02-10-2014, 12:25 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor
 

Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 784
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
What year is your truck and what size are your stock wheels?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 02-10-2014, 12:48 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 161
Thanks: 4
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
its a 99 and there 16s i believe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4  
Old 02-10-2014, 01:06 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor
 

Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 784
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Tire size 295/75R-16 is going to be the largest size you can safely mount on your factory 16x7 wheels. This size is approximately 33.5" tall and 11.6" wide. Here's the link with all the tire models we offer in this size.

295/75R-16 Tire Options
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Discount Tire For This Useful Post:
hemikidd (02-10-2014)
  #5  
Old 02-10-2014, 01:17 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 161
Thanks: 4
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Discount Tire View Post
Tire size 295/75R-16 is going to be the largest size you can safely mount on your factory 16x7 wheels. This size is approximately 33.5" tall and 11.6" wide. Here's the link with all the tire models we offer in this size.

295/75R-16 Tire Options
so a 2 inch drop basically with these on my stocks vs what i have now... hmmm not bad at all..

anyone have pics of there truck with bigger tires on stock rims and a lift?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 02-10-2014, 01:20 PM
Serving Our Country!
 

Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Thee Big Apple
Posts: 256
Thanks: 0
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Is your power steering not working as that may be an issue? Also do you have a steering stabilizer, though it will make the steering stiffer, it will give you more control.

Even though companies don't like to do it, many people, and I mean many have put LT315/75/R16 (35x12.5) on stock rims and they work wonders. Personally I hate large rims and less tire, but 315's will make the truck look more like a truck. You also would get to keep your 4 inch lift or drop to a leveling kit if wanted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Horizon122 For This Useful Post:
hemikidd (02-10-2014)
  #7  
Old 02-10-2014, 01:22 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 161
Thanks: 4
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon122 View Post
Is your power steering not working as that may be an issue? Also do you have a steering stabilizer, though it will make the steering stiffer, it will give you more control.

Even though companies don't like to do it, many people, and I mean many have put LT315/75/R16 (35x12.5) on stock rims and they work wonders. Personally I hate large rims and less tire, but 315's will make the truck look more like a truck. You also would get to keep your 4 inch lift or drop to a leveling kit if wanted.

i just purchased a new OEM power steering pump AND box waiting to get it installed then will take it from there to see if maybe this was the main issue but i can't turn these things right now from a dead stop at all not even an inch .. so if it remains the same after installed i wanna go back to stock rims and just do little beefy tire vs what i have on my stock rims now
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 02-10-2014, 01:38 PM
Serving Our Country!
 

Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Thee Big Apple
Posts: 256
Thanks: 0
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by hemikidd View Post
i just purchased a new OEM power steering pump AND box waiting to get it installed then will take it from there to see if maybe this was the main issue but i can't turn these things right now from a dead stop at all not even an inch .. so if it remains the same after installed i wanna go back to stock rims and just do little beefy tire vs what i have on my stock rims now
Currently have LT265 (going to LT315 as soon as I get the cash for the tires) and when the truck is off I can't move the wheel. But as soon as I turn the key and everything is on it's like a hotknife through butter because of the power steering, and I have a dual steering stabilizer which makes it a little harder to turn.

So I'm gonna assume it is the power steering pump, as I never heard of anyone claiming 35's were hard to turn. An trust me w/o power steering even in small cars it is hard as hell to turn the wheel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old 02-10-2014, 01:50 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 161
Thanks: 4
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon122 View Post
Currently have LT265 (going to LT315 as soon as I get the cash for the tires) and when the truck is off I can't move the wheel. But as soon as I turn the key and everything is on it's like a hotknife through butter because of the power steering, and I have a dual steering stabilizer which makes it a little harder to turn.

So I'm gonna assume it is the power steering pump, as I never heard of anyone claiming 35's were hard to turn. An trust me w/o power steering even in small cars it is hard as hell to turn the wheel.

the odd thing is they normally say the pump will whine if its going and mine doesn't lol.. so idk
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10  
Old 02-10-2014, 03:34 PM
Serving Our Country!
 

Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Thee Big Apple
Posts: 256
Thanks: 0
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by hemikidd View Post
the odd thing is they normally say the pump will whine if its going and mine doesn't lol.. so idk
Won't know till you test it out. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Horizon122 For This Useful Post:
hemikidd (02-17-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 04:40 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

vB.Sponsors