Advice on Snow Tires for 20" wheels - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Wheels, Tires, and Brakes Here's where you can post all your topics and questions about wheels, tires and brakes.
Sponsored by Discount Tire

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2014, 02:58 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Advice on Snow Tires for 20" wheels

OK, so there's still lots of winter left up here in the Great White North, and as a new F350 owner, I am contemplating winter tire options. My truck came with the 20" wheels standard on the Platinum package.

First of all, I want SNOW/ICE TIRES, not all-seasons or M&S rated tires, so please no endorsements of non-winter-specific tire models. I live in Canada and we get real winter, and I enjoy the benefits of driving on snow/ice rated radials and the extra safety and protection they offer me and my family.

I've read a lot of tire threads on the forum, and most of them are full of recommendations for various all season or M&S options, which didn't help me too much.

My dilemma is whether to stick with my 20" tire size for winter use, or to get 18" wheels and tires.

A quick search of the 'net turns up very few winter tire choices for the 20" factory tire size, and a few more options on the 18" tires.

My original plan was to keep factory 20" wheels as winter wheels and eventually get some summer aftermarket with a decent mud tread. Now I am actually considering getting rid of the 20"s and getting 18" for winter, but I hate to get rid of such nice factory wheels.

Thoughts from any of the other northerners who have tried some tires and can suggest what to get? I am not brand loyal to any one type of winter tire manufacturer, as I have had good luck with several brands. Just wondering what my options are, because I'm not turning up much in my searches.

Hankook RW11 i-pike was one option for the 20's. Anyone try these?

Last edited by Q-DawgVFR; 01-29-2014 at 03:03 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2014, 02:43 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I ran cooper discoverer with studs during my time in AK and they work great. Any snow rated tire will do its all the sipping that does it. Studs are a life saving when your dealing with black ice, no tread makes a difference. If you have regular cold winters I'd go the route of different wheels cause you don't want to dismount/mount twice a year.
Old 01-31-2014, 07:18 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetjock15 View Post
I ran cooper discoverer with studs during my time in AK and they work great. Any snow rated tire will do its all the sipping that does it. Studs are a life saving when your dealing with black ice, no tread makes a difference. If you have regular cold winters I'd go the route of different wheels cause you don't want to dismount/mount twice a year.
Thanks. What diameter tire did you run?

Yeah, I'm not fussy on winter tires. Like you say, just having a WINTER tire with the correct compound / siping is what makes all the difference. Sure there are slight differences, but they all pretty much do their job well enough for me.

Biggest decision for me is whether to go with 18" or 20" wheel/tire combo for winter. Ideally, I would pick the stock 20's as my winter wheels, then buy some nice aftermarket 20" or 22" to run in summer. But if ride quality sucks too bad in winter on 20's, maybe I have to consider parting with those nice Platinum wheels for something a little smaller.

One thing is certain, the performance of the 20's with the stock Michelin tires really sucks. They are like rocks, and there is virtually no traction on even the slightest amount of snow / ice. I have driven on worse, but not by much. Trying to navigate icy parking lot yesterday left me swearing as I was crawling around at a walking pace and truck wasn't steering at all as I turned the wheel. I can live with some difficulty in getting going, but I need to steer and stop!

I may wait a year to buy the summer wheels if it requires a little bit of lift to clear 35" tires with my choice. I'm OK with paying for mount / dismount of tires for about a year, but I want 2 sets of wheels ASAP so that I can swap at my leisure. Tire shops get so busy in spring and fall and I don't like the hassle and rolling the dice for possibility of shoddy work.
Old 01-31-2014, 07:56 AM

I ran stock size Coopers on my OEM wheels because I had aftermarket set for summer. After I re-geared my truck i got a used set of Cooper M/T tires that were studded, it was better than nothing. I but the OEM studs on my trailer cause it had the same size wheels when I came down the ALCAN back to states in winter. I remember the dedicated snow tires worked amazing and I ran them on both my 2 door explorer (was my DD) and my wifes newer explorer. All three cars had a winter set of tires/wheels - thats how you have to roll when winter is 8 months long! Good luck, id take whatever was cheapest dedicated snow tire you can find in load range E.
Old 01-31-2014, 07:58 AM

Oh, and from a pure performance on snow/ice standpoint, im sure 20" wheels would be significantly less affective because of the reduced ability for the sidewall to flex. I would want 17" rims and snow tires. Summit sells steel wheels for $80 per free shipping 17x9 4.5 Backspace (thats what my rear snow tires are on in pic!) was $170 to my door.
Old 01-31-2014, 08:01 AM
Suck, Squish, Bang, Blow!

Goodyear Duratracs are great for ice and snow.

They are "A" rated as a snow tire.
Old 01-31-2014, 09:26 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I guess the only thing that was keeping me from wanting to go smaller is that i already have the 20's, and I was considering keeping brake clearances in case of future upgrades. Plus I have experienced brake/wheel lock caused by snow and ice freezing the wheel solid to the rotor, or rocks jamming between rotor and wheel. I have experienced fewer issues of these types and easier cleaning by running larger wheels.
Old 01-31-2014, 12:42 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

yokahama Ice guard tires
Old 01-31-2014, 04:57 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Found a nice set of 18" firestone winterforce on Mayhem 8050 wheels with TPMS, ready to go for $1600. Very tempted to get them and sell the Platinum wheels to go towards some aftermarket that I like for summer.

What would you do?
Old 02-01-2014, 06:19 AM

X2 on duratracs they rock in the snow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.