What's best wheel upgrade for 2005 Excursion 6.0? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Wheels, Tires, and Brakes Here's where you can post all your topics and questions about wheels, tires and brakes.
Sponsored by Discount Tire

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2014, 06:22 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
What's best wheel upgrade for 2005 Excursion 6.0?

I'm ready to part with my 16" inch factory rims on the Excursion. What is the best upgrade (plus three is the biggest I want to go) without using spacers?

Here's the kicker: I want to put Ford OEM rims on there if possible, but I'm open to all suggestions.

I've heard that there are a pair of older King Ranch 18" (edit: or Harley Davidson, I can't remember now which one it was) rims that fit just right without spacers needed. Does anyone know which ones they are or have other suggestions. Hey, thanks for reading and your help...and a suitable Tire size to go with the rims you recommend too if you have know of any that won't rub.

Last edited by Romille1; 01-03-2014 at 08:44 AM. Reason: Had a brainfart
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2014, 02:21 AM
N.S.D.Q.

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Find some 2004 18" wheels. A few trucks came from Ford with them that would work. Harley Davidson model had 18" as well. Otherwise get some aftermarket wheels in 18". Ultra Predator wheels should have the same hub centric bore as OEM if you prefer.

18 inch 04 Ford F250 F350 Harley Davidson Alloy Wheel Rim 3551 4C34 1007 AC | eBay

Ultra 286C Predator - Free Shipping | TireBuyer.com
Old 01-03-2014, 02:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyAssault View Post
Find some 2004 18" wheels. A few trucks came from Ford with them that would work. Harley Davidson model had 18" as well. Otherwise get some aftermarket wheels in 18". Ultra Predator wheels should have the same hub centric bore as OEM if you prefer.

18 inch 04 Ford F250 F350 Harley Davidson Alloy Wheel Rim 3551 4C34 1007 AC | eBay

Ultra 286C Predator - Free Shipping | TireBuyer.com
Thanks for your help, very much, I looked at both links. Is that a good price for one HD rim? Is it the HD name that makes them high?

Thanks...
Old 01-03-2014, 03:10 AM
N.S.D.Q.

Is there anything marked HD that's cheap?? LOL

This would be a better deal but one rim has a chunked lip. The caps and lugnuts make this what you want to find.

F250 F350 Super Duty 18" Harley Davidson Aluminum Wheels Rims Set Lugnuts | eBay
Old 01-03-2014, 03:12 AM
N.S.D.Q.

Buy the single one and this set. For $1300 it's a high total but you can use the broken one for a emergency spare if you can get a tire mounted.

Keep searching...this was what I could find in 5-10 minutes. I had a local on Craigs selling his awhile back.
Old 01-03-2014, 04:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyAssault View Post
Buy the single one and this set. For $1300 it's a high total but you can use the broken one for a emergency spare if you can get a tire mounted.

Keep searching...this was what I could find in 5-10 minutes. I had a local on Craigs selling his awhile back.
Hey, thanks for taking the time to do that. I wasn't expecting to find a place with such enthusiastic help as this forum. It is motivating and refreshing. Thank you. I'm going to do check those out for sure!

I know what you mean about the HD logo. I'm off to HEB with the family to stock up on food for the week. The Excursion is fun.

Thanks again for your help!!!

Happy New Year ahead with CHRIST at the healm...
Old 01-03-2014, 05:09 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I'll be looking to upgrade from my stock 16's on my 05 soon as well. Gotta wear these Michelins down first. Still have another few months left in them. I'll be following this thread for any other ideas as well.

BUT, I fell in love with this look the first time I saw this thread:05 with ford 20" wheel conversion

I think it will look great on a black X. And even at $3K+ for the setup, I didn't care, I still wanted them. Then I saw how much the damn adapters/spacers weigh, plus the weight of 20'' wheels + tires, and it almost kills the deal for me.
Old 01-03-2014, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnybgood View Post
I'll be looking to upgrade from my stock 16's on my 05 soon as well. Gotta wear these Michelins down first. Still have another few months left in them. I'll be following this thread for any other ideas as well.

BUT, I fell in love with this look the first time I saw this thread:05 with ford 20" wheel conversion

I think it will look great on a black X. And even at $3K+ for the setup, I didn't care, I still wanted them. Then I saw how much the damn adapters/spacers weigh, plus the weight of 20'' wheels + tires, and it almost kills the deal for me.
I'm not certain on this statement I'm about to make, but if I remember correctly:

The setup on a 2005 Excursion is different than the 2005 Super Duties. The Superduties, for 2005, went through a re-design related to the wheel area that the 2005 Excursion did not. Don't take my word, but apparently the 2005 Excursion is set up for different wheels than the 2005 and later Superduties even though the Excursion design was built on the Superduty chasis or frame or something to that nature. That's my understanding. Maybe someone who has done their homework on this a little better can shed some light on the situation a little better.

Anyways it looks expensive and complicated to get the Excursion to the modernized look some of us are striving for...
Old 01-04-2014, 09:29 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romille1 View Post
I'm not certain on this statement I'm about to make, but if I remember correctly:

The setup on a 2005 Excursion is different than the 2005 Super Duties. The Superduties, for 2005, went through a re-design related to the wheel area that the 2005 Excursion did not. Don't take my word, but apparently the 2005 Excursion is set up for different wheels than the 2005 and later Superduties even though the Excursion design was built on the Superduty chasis or frame or something to that nature. That's my understanding. Maybe someone who has done their homework on this a little better can shed some light on the situation a little better.

Anyways it looks expensive and complicated to get the Excursion to the modernized look some of us are striving for...
You are right. The Ex retained the leaf spring front ends of the earlier trucks while the 05 and up Super Duties got coil spring front ends. If buying Super Duty wheels for the Ex keep it to 2004 and under for a stock fitment.
Old 01-05-2014, 03:26 AM

Thanks for the confirmation on that.

That picture is funny, I like it...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
2005 wheels upgrade best

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.