Kumho Road Venture MT vs Toyo Open Country MT - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Wheels, Tires, and Brakes Here's where you can post all your topics and questions about wheels, tires and brakes.
Sponsored by Discount Tire

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2013, 02:40 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Kumho Road Venture MT vs Toyo Open Country MT

I've done a search on the forum and on Google and I just run in to old threads. I'd like to get updated opinions on which tire is better because I need to replace my 38s soon. I currently am running the Toyos 38x15.50r20 and got a little under 30k miles out of them. They are 8 years old with some tread left but horribly dry rotted. I am disappointed in the way they dry rotted and I do not want the same to happen again so I don't know if I should just go with Toyo's again or save good $ and go with Kumho Road Venture MT. I don't drive my truck too much (30k short distance miles in 8 years) all on road but do drive it in snow yearly

I also read Toyos are a 10 ply and Kumhos are 8 but I looked them both up and they both show 8 in the 38x15.50r20.

Any opinions please as I need to buy soon.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2013, 08:00 AM

Anyone?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 12-18-2013, 08:16 AM

I'm not sure what average tire life is in regards to years, but 8 years for a set of tires sounds pretty good in my opinion, even without miles. Especially if the vehicle was stored outside in the sun.
Old 12-18-2013, 08:22 AM

Ive had the toyos and the kumho mt, for me both sets wore about the same the kumho's might have lasted a bit longer. there both quiet and smooth on the highway, down fall for the kumhos is that they are directional..

For the price difference I would buy the kumhos again over the toyo mt just my .02
Old 12-18-2013, 08:54 AM
Mo Diesel sir!

ive run both before and the toyos were loud in my opinion...the kumhos lasted me about 30-35k miles. not sure how long the toyos last because i sold them and got some pro comp extreme ATs it all depends on your driving style and how often you drive in the mud but i think an aggressive AT tire would work just as well as MT and last longer. just my opinion but hope it helps
Old 12-18-2013, 10:15 AM

Thanks for the reply guys.

Which of the two are wider? I am going with a 38x15.5x20 but heard Kumhos do not run true to size. Are they taller, wider, etc... than Toyos?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepy steve View Post
ive run both before and the toyos were loud in my opinion...the kumhos lasted me about 30-35k miles. not sure how long the toyos last because i sold them and got some pro comp extreme ATs it all depends on your driving style and how often you drive in the mud but i think an aggressive AT tire would work just as well as MT and last longer. just my opinion but hope it helps
I was considering an AT since I do not mud much, only a few times, but do drive up in the snow in Tahoe and would like to do some trail rides next year. Any recommendations on ATs in my size? How are they on price?
Old 12-18-2013, 02:18 PM

I've also read that kumhos are lower tier tire and that Toyo is a premium tire. I just don't know if the premium is worth an extra $500...
Old 12-18-2013, 06:03 PM
Mo Diesel sir!

i ran my kumhos in tahoe and they worked fine...most trail rides dont need a mud tire unless you plan on doing your trails right after a rain storm or when it is raining or snowing...i run yokohama geolander ATs on my 2wd ranger and ive been in snow with those before with no problems. look at tirebuyer.com or tirerack.com or even discounttiresdirect.com those are the sites i use when i need to price tires. i also have a guy at a local shop here that i try to get the price down even more. where are you located since u go to tahoe?
Old 12-18-2013, 07:01 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I've ran both. My biggest problem with the toyo's where they couldn't be balanced. I had multiple places try. Finally decided I would have them trued then balanced. Got to the place that does it. They check them and I was told unless I wanted a slick tire it wouldn't be a good idea. So I replaced them with a set of kumho road venture took it back to the same place to have them balanced now I have 3 tires with no weight at all. And 1 with 2oz of weight they are a much better tire than toyo. I will never make the mistake of buying toyo's again. They may make a decent tire in the smaller sizes. But definitely can't in the larger ones.

Last edited by JD_MILLS; 12-18-2013 at 07:04 PM.
Old 12-18-2013, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepy steve View Post
i ran my kumhos in tahoe and they worked fine...most trail rides dont need a mud tire unless you plan on doing your trails right after a rain storm or when it is raining or snowing...i run yokohama geolander ATs on my 2wd ranger and ive been in snow with those before with no problems. look at tirebuyer.com or tirerack.com or even discounttiresdirect.com those are the sites i use when i need to price tires. i also have a guy at a local shop here that i try to get the price down even more. where are you located since u go to tahoe?
I am in Northern California and travel a lot to Tahoe during the winter. I've actually slid/slipped twice with my toyos and wonder how kumho would do

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD_MILLS View Post
I've ran both. My biggest problem with the toyo's where they couldn't be balanced. I had multiple places try. Finally decided I would have them trued then balanced. Got to the place that does it. They check them and I was told unless I wanted a slick tire it wouldn't be a good idea. So I replaced them with a set of kumho road venture took it back to the same place to have them balanced now I have 3 tires with no weight at all. And 1 with 2oz of weight they are a much better tire than toyo. I will never make the mistake of buying toyo's again. They may make a decent tire in the smaller sizes. But definitely can't in the larger ones.
What size tire do you run? Besides balancing issues what else can you say about the road performance in dry and wet weather, treadwear and off-road of the two?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.