Anyone running knock off brand tires? Amp, Durun, etc? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Wheels, Tires, and Brakes Here's where you can post all your topics and questions about wheels, tires and brakes.
Sponsored by Discount Tire

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2013, 05:13 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Anyone running knock off brand tires? Amp, Durun, etc?

Running 325/60r20 Toyo AT's now. Wanting to go back to a MT and have been doing some research. Have been leaning towards trail grapplers again but have seen some crazy prices on tires that seem like copies. There's a shop in my area pushing Thunderer MT's for $1k out the door. Also see places selling Amps and duruns for not much more.
The only experience I have with these types are with Federals. They were great, I ran them on my previous truck in a 33/12.50r20 for 40k, they still had some life left when I sold the truck. Only complaints were they were a little loud and not true to size, 33's actually measured 32.7 and obviously got smaller over time.

Anyone with some kind of knowledge or experience with these brands?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2013, 08:30 AM

I have Double Coin 19.5's. Personally I would stay FAR away from anything CHINESE foreign soil brand tires. I have had nothing but problems with mine. I have swapped out one tire three times now due to out of round and can not get a good replacement. Its possible that the tires you are looking at are made by Double Coin I have no idea. Your choice but you get what you pay for.
Old 11-19-2013, 11:44 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I have seen a few trucks around town running federals. I think this is due to ebay sites like rimzone making wheel tire packages using that tire. However they dont make them larger than i believe a 35". So im my search for other tires i have come across brands such as Dakar, Durun, and AMP.

Amazon carries AMP terrains however the reviews are very limited and none of which say anything about longevity of the tread(nor can I find this in any google search)

Durun I have actually found a few threads about and actually one thread on here of a few guys that have run them and had good experiences with tham and they are actually the tire I am trying to find at this moment.

Dakar is another tire that comes up in searches for Durun. They seem to be a "tyre" from the UK. I have read good reviews on them on a few of their truck forums and found a company out of Texas that can get me a 37/13.5/22 for 349$ a piece which is a good deal to me.
Old 11-19-2013, 11:47 AM

However if you are going to get them I would do so soon. I read something yesterday in my serach for tires about TOYO pursuing the ban of these tires due to a US patent on the design and the importation of such tires into the US. Toyo and nitto just trying to keep their tire prices high is all that seems like to me.
Old 11-19-2013, 04:13 PM

here you go for the AMP brand. BTW amazon has them for good prices with free shipping.

Anyone heard of a AMP tire??
Old 11-21-2013, 01:05 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Spend a little more and get better tires.
Old 11-25-2013, 06:15 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I run the 35x12.5x20" Duruns. Very pleased with them so far. Prolly have about 7k miles on the. They are pretty quiet too. Wish they made them in a 37".
Old 12-24-2013, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowcoupe View Post
However if you are going to get them I would do so soon. I read something yesterday in my serach for tires about TOYO pursuing the ban of these tires due to a US patent on the design and the importation of such tires into the US. Toyo and nitto just trying to keep their tire prices high is all that seems like to me.
Toyo and Nitto are owned by the same company...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.