Cooper Discoverer ATP - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Wheels, Tires, and Brakes Here's where you can post all your topics and questions about wheels, tires and brakes.
Sponsored by Discount Tire

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2013, 10:08 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Cooper Discoverer ATP

Has anyone tried the Cooper Discoverer ATP tires out? You can only get them from Discount Tire. I will be needing tires soon and these seem like a pretty good value.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2013, 10:36 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Just my .02 cents but stay away from Cooper. I used to be a huge fan of their tires and thats all I would buy. Then about 4 years ago I bought a brand new set for my F150 and my truck started wandering all over the road. At first I thought that they just needed to "break in" but I put up with that for almost 5k miles. Finally a buddy had a set of lightly used Michelin tires that came with all new wheels that I bought and as soon as I put them on the truck drove straight as an arrow. With the Coopers the truck would wander and hit every grove in the asphalt and throw you from one side to the other. Fast forward about 2 years and my dad bought a set of commercial Coopers for his 18 wheeler and after 2 weeks had to take them back to the tire company and exchange them because they were doing the exact same thing to his big rig. Other guys seem to love them, I used to but not anymore and I won't recommend them.
Old 11-07-2013, 12:38 PM

I have to say I put a set of Cooper Discovery AT3 on my old truck two years ago and had no clue about what Lilfarmrboy just said. Damn, I was all over the road constantly wondering and did not even think about the tires. I even replaced the steering box and installed all new bushings to no avail, still wondering. Wish I had seen this awhile back.
Old 11-09-2013, 05:54 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I just bought a new set of Cooper Discoverer ATP's in a 285/70R17. They are installed on the stock 17x7.5" wheels. I have maybe 500 miles on them and so far they "seem" to be fine. The set prior to this were a 3/4 worn down Hankook DynaPro ATM RF10's in a 265/70R17.

The highways out here are a mix of concrete, grooved concrete, paved and rutted paved and I'm not experiencing any wandering...yet. These tires are louder than my old Hankooks but not by much and not something I would consider turning them back in for. And we have not had any snow or rain to test them out in nor have I been off road with them yet.

I do notice they ride a tad softer than the Hankooks but that may only be because of the larger side wall I have now and the newer, thicker tread. And they aren't quite as fast at reacting to sudden turns as the Hankooks were but again that may be due to the 285mm width of the tire on the smaller 7.5" wide wheel.

I guess right now I don't have anything bad to say about them and will need to get some real mileage on them before making up my mind. I certainly like they way they look though. And we'll be giving them a good testing in the next few weeks as we'll be pulling a loaded 7x16 to Washington state.
The Following User Says Thank You to Soledad For This Useful Post:
blue72 (11-21-2013)
Old 11-09-2013, 06:42 AM

I only made the connection about the tires by chance. Up to that point I had never even thought about the tires causing all the trouble. My buddy at work had a set of Ford OEM chrome wheels off his mothers Expedition that came with Michelin's that were only about 6 months old. My truck had the ugly steel work truck wheels so thats why I bought them. It really was a night and day difference. As soon as I had put them on no more wandering, no more finding and hitting every grove in the asphalt which would always throw the truck to the left or right. Some guys I know who have Coopers love them (and I used to be one of them) but not after all that I and my father went through.
Old 11-12-2013, 11:50 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

To me, the Discoverer ATP's look less aggressive. I would rather get Nitto.
Old 11-14-2013, 08:42 AM

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by truckfan View Post
I would rather get Nitto.
I am replacing my current Nittos because they are dry rotting. Had the same issue with a set of tires on my car that is garage kept. I will never buy Nitto tires again. Anyone else try the ATP Coopers?
Old 11-14-2013, 09:09 PM

I just put a new set of Cooper Discoverer AT3 on. Only thing I wish about them is that instead of 2857516 I wish I would have went with 2558516 size. I think the 255 comes in the Cooper stp. Anyways I like the tires so far. We'll see how they do this winter.
Old 11-15-2013, 05:11 PM

I have a set of Cooper Discoverer ATP's on my truck. They seem no different to me than any other tire I've had on my truck in regard to the wandering problem. I'd have to check the paperwork to see how many miles I've put on them so far but they've been on the truck since January 2nd of this year. I drove to Alaska and back earlier this year and drove several hundred miles through snow storms that put about 4-6 inches of snow on the road and never even put it in 4 wheel drive. So they've been treating me well so far. They do have a little road noise though.
The Following User Says Thank You to 99' Powerstroke For This Useful Post:
blue72 (11-21-2013)
Old 11-17-2013, 06:59 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I run Cooper ATR, H/T and Discoverer M+S on my Navigator, 150, 250 and Class-C motorhome. When the factory tires wear out, I buy Cooper.

They are not the best tire, but for the price I can't complain.

I have six vehicles and it seems like I'm buying tires too often.

My new Challenger and 350 are the only ones still running stock tires.

I have not put on a new set and noticed a difference in handling on any vehicle. Not saying this can't happen, it could with any brand tire.

My only concern is the new front motorhome tires wearing different than the tires I replaced. They wear on the inside and outside edges more than the old tire. I run 65 psi in the front as recommended by Winnebago.
I rotated them to the back and will get an alignment, then keep a closer eye on them.

I pulled a 20ft. trailer with the RV from Alaska to Arizona with the old tires and factory shocks.The rear of the RV was a little low with the tongue weight.

Before I headed back, I installed air-bags, shocks and tires.

I was suprised that with the air-bags leveling the RV more than before and Bilstein shocks and steering stabilizer to see that kind of tire wear. I could hear the tires scrubbing in the big road dips. I may have been driving faster with the upgraded suspension, but the tires should have been running with more tread on the road than the trip down.

That's the first time I have noticed anything unusual with Cooper tires.

They seem to be punture resistant. I have only had one slow leak in all the sets I have worn out. I have never seen any dry-rot, cracks or abnormal tread wear other than the RV.

Cooper seems to make a decent tire. I've only had one concern in all the years and miles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.