Braking system maintenance/upgrades for 99-07 trucks - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Wheels, Tires, and Brakes Here's where you can post all your topics and questions about wheels, tires and brakes.
Sponsored by Discount Tire

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By HeavyAssault

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2013, 07:41 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Braking system maintenance/upgrades for 99-07 trucks

Recommended:

Hawk LTS front and rear brake pads
Slotted/cryo treated rotors (any brand will do really)
Brake system flush with synthetic DOT 4 fluid (most brands work well)
Stainless braided brake lines (useful also for lifted trucks)
Inspect and adjust rear parking brake hardware

Optional:

Aftermarket front big brake kit (SSBC, AP Racing, Wilwood)
Aftermarket rear big brake kit (Wilwood)
Cross-drilled and slotted rotors (many different companies)
Hawk Super Duty front and rear brake pads
05-07 brake upgrade for 99-04 trucks (requires 17" or larger wheels)
F-450 and F-550 brake upgrade for 03-07 DRW trucks (?)
Paint brake system components

As far as brake pads are concerned the most pushed pad for our truck is the Hawk LTS pad. I myself use them and love them. For those people who are going to tow heavy loads a lot the Hawk Super Duty pad may be a better idea, but for most trucks out there, the LTS will be more than enough and will provide better rotor life, less noise, and less dust. Realistically any good rated pad works, but these are the two that stick out the most.

As far as rotors go many people like to upgrade to a slotted and cryo treated rotor, something along the lines of ART rotors or Power Slots. They provide are more linear pedal feel after periods of braking along with a greater resistance to warpage. Blank rotors technically provide the best stopping ability as they have the most pad area, but they do not dissipate heat as well as a cross-drilled and slotted rotor will. I myself use Hart gold zinc coated cross-drilled and slotted rotors not only for the performance, but the looks as well. There are a lot of manufacturers that offer rotors at different price points, so you have to do some shopping around.

With brake fluid any good synthetic DOT 4 fluid will usually work well, just pay attention to the boiling points. I myself use VW/Audi OEM DOT 4 fluid since I get it for free, but also because that boiling points are quite high for a non-race fluid. The only race fluid I would recommend is the ATE Super Blue or Super Gold as it's the only one I have experience with and it's fairly cost effective when compared to other brands. Stainless braided brake lines require inspecting them more often, but they provide a better pedal feel and look very nice. Also, for those of us who choose to lift the truck they can be made in a size to accommodate your lift. I went with the Crown Performance lines since they made them with yellow sheathing and they can be made to what size lift you have not to mention a good price point.

The rear parking brake components have a tendency to seize and fail when the parking brake is not used often enough. Generally the levers for the shoes will freeze solid requiring removal of the hardware and a vice to free the levers. Also, another common failure is for the cables themselves to seize and become detached from the levers. Thankfully the parking brake system components are priced fairly cheap and can easily be rebuilt.

Now, the big one - brake size upgrades. The 05-07 trucks utilize a bigger brake system than the 99-04 trucks do. The calipers, rotors, and pads can be swapped from what I have read. Also, it is possible to adapt the F-450 and F-550 front brake setup onto an F-250 and F-350. It requires replacing the front axle along with the hubs/bearings/pads/rotors/calipers. The issue with this is that it requires 19.5" or bigger wheels to clear them. Lastly, SSBC and AP Racing make a 6-piston front brake caliper upgrade to fit under 18" wheels, but they do not make a matching rear brake setup and it runs around 1,500 dollars just for the 2 calipers and pad set. Wilwood makes a front and rear 6-piston brake upgrade, but it requires 20" or larger wheels and is insanely pricey, somewhere around 7,000 dollars for the front and rear setup.

Lastly, you can paint the brake components to add a bit of style to the truck. I myself went with yellow. I simply used Duplicolor Engine Enamel Primer, Daytona Yellow, and Clear. These paints have the same temperature rating as the caliper paint and they are readily available and more colors, plus you can get them from your local parts store.

Here is my list currently:

Perform brake fluid flush using Audi OEM DOT 4 brake fluid (92,117)
Crown Performance 3 extended front and rear stainless steel braided brake lines with yellow sheathing (includes hardware) (92,117)
Hawk Performance LTS front and rear brake pads (includes lube) (92,117)
Hart front and rear gold zinc plated cross drilled and slotted brake rotors (92,117)
A1 Cardone remanufactured right front brake caliper (includes hardware) (92,117)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2014, 09:02 AM

Just curious to bump this up and see if there's any brake system upgrades that have come out that I've missed. As far as I know you only aftermarket options are the ones I've got listed above.
Old 06-25-2014, 05:21 AM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Can I get a bump on how you like those Hart brake rotors? I'm due for some rotors coming up soon and will probably go stock, but those are a good price and sure would look nice as well! Thanks
Old 06-29-2014, 08:53 AM

So far so good! Hauled a couple cars on trailers and even without the trailer brakes I've yet to have any issues. No warping or cracking.
Old 06-29-2014, 06:15 PM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Auto_Tech View Post
So far so good! Hauled a couple cars on trailers and even without the trailer brakes I've yet to have any issues. No warping or cracking.
Do you have any pictures of the gold rotors? How are they holding up from rust/corrosion?
Old 08-23-2014, 01:33 PM

Late getting back to this. I'll have to see if I can get into my Photobucket account and get pictures. So far they've held up perfectly. No cracks, corrosion, or warping!
Old 08-23-2014, 01:34 PM

Also, are there any upgrades I'm missing?
Old 08-24-2014, 08:39 AM
N.S.D.Q.

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
200k on my 2006 OEM stuff. Finally replaced the pads with OEM. Why....cause it works.
2006F350 and F3502wd like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.