taking off my Toyo Open country AT II's for some M/T's, need advice - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Wheels, Tires, and Brakes Here's where you can post all your topics and questions about wheels, tires and brakes.
Sponsored by Discount Tire

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2013, 10:27 PM
live for the now

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
taking off my Toyo Open country AT II's for some M/T's, need advice

I have 305/55/20's (33's) on my truck that are practically new and want to go taller, so i wanted to throw on some 35" M/T's. I will be selling the Toyo's to help offset the cost of new tires. A friend of mine has the Cooper Discoverer STT tires, and he swears by them. Anyone else have any experience with them?

I was looking at a few other tires, ie; Toyo Open Country M/T's, Mickey Thompson MTZ, and the Nitto Trail Grappler M/T's. But only reason I havent been serious about them is because of the much higher prices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2013, 03:56 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieSoldier View Post
I have 305/55/20's (33's) on my truck that are practically new and want to go taller, so i wanted to throw on some 35" M/T's. I will be selling the Toyo's to help offset the cost of new tires. A friend of mine has the Cooper Discoverer STT tires, and he swears by them. Anyone else have any experience with them?

I was looking at a few other tires, ie; Toyo Open Country M/T's, Mickey Thompson MTZ, and the Nitto Trail Grappler M/T's. But only reason I havent been serious about them is because of the much higher prices.

Do you want a mud tire because you'll be in the mud or do you want a mud tire because they look cool?
I'm guessing you want them because they look cool because all of those tires listed are not true mud tires, and will be rendered useless in your Georgia mud. In that case, I've had experience with all of them but the Coopers and they're all good tires. (for highway driving and occasional puddles)
Old 10-04-2013, 05:02 AM
live for the now

actually i do go in the mud, thank you, but my truck is my primary transportation to work, so i dont have it setup as a dedicated mud queen and those are the ones in my price range thats why I asked about them. most of the "true" mud tires dont

1) last very long under our trucks
2) make them in 20" sizes
3) if they do make it in 20" rim sizes they are expensive as fawk and again see number 1.
Old 10-04-2013, 05:48 AM
Emergency Services

I'm pretty sure that the 20" is what makes for the bigger price tags, which I don't understand because it requires less material. How do the ATs ride? I was looking to get a set of 35s because I can't stand these stock michelins for much longer, they're way too stiff.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 10-04-2013, 05:51 AM

Quote:
actually i do go in the mud, thank you, but my truck is my primary transportation to work, so i dont have it setup as a dedicated mud queen and those are the ones in my price range thats why I asked about them. most of the "true" mud tires dont

3) if they do make it in 20" rim sizes they are expensive as fawk and again see number 1.

No need to get sassy, I was answering your question properly.

I wanted to make sure you understood that the tires listed weren't going to be very good in the mud but if you're updating for the occasional puddle. They'll work great
Old 10-04-2013, 06:10 AM

Quote:

The cause of #1 is because of so many people putting "mud" tires on their 99% hwy trucks for looks and they wear down ridiculously fast on pavement.

Ever driven atv's or dirtbikes on the road? You can almost watch the rubber come off.

If you want your money's worth, stick with something similar to the at2, they are wearing great on my truck and are more than enough for the limited off-roading that happens in my 8000lb truck
Old 10-04-2013, 07:10 AM
live for the now

wasnt trying to be sassy, was just in a playful mood.

the AT2's seem pretty good so far

unfortunately where I go hunting the all terrains clog up a bit too quick.
Old 10-04-2013, 07:14 AM

Quote:
wasnt trying to be sassy, was just in a playful mood.

the AT2's seem pretty good so far

unfortunately where I go hunting the all terrains clog up a bit too quick.
Well, like I said before, I've ran all but the Coopers. My personal choice would be the Toyo MT's. I liked them more than the Nitto TG and Mickey's
Old 10-04-2013, 07:37 AM
live for the now

^^^^ thank you. what kind of mileage did you get out of them?
Old 10-04-2013, 08:29 AM

Quote:
^^^^ thank you. what kind of mileage did you get out of them?
Toyo MT
50k out of my first set of 37's before replacing with the same tire. The second set had 25k and still looked great when sold

I got 46k out of a set of 35's but I was towing quite a bit on those.

Mickey Thompson
I had 35k on these and they were looking pretty worn. These seemed like a softer tire but cleared out better than the Toyo's. They were also harder to stay balanced

Nitto TG
I carpool with another guy to work every day. So....every other day I'm riding in his truck. So far, the tires are wearing excellent and are very similar to the Toyo MT. But....with only 25k miles on them, they're not proven yet. This is the only reason why I'd pick Toyo over the Nitto's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.