Need Opinions on Brake Issue, Help! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Wheels, Tires, and Brakes Here's where you can post all your topics and questions about wheels, tires and brakes.
Sponsored by Discount Tire

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2013, 07:20 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Need Opinions on Brake Issue, Help!

Hi all, my name is Mike. I have a 1997 F250 7.3 turbo diesel. I bought it to pretty much flip the truck from basically stock to a badass rig. I already have a lot of money in this truck. I've been having a problem though since the day I bought it though and since I bought it 9 months ago, I can't solve it. When I bought the truck, the brakes were pretty much gone because of a bad wheel cylinder in the rear. I figured it'd be a quick fix, but when I took the tire of to change it, I found out the rear brake system was completely shot. So I replaced the entire rear brake system. I replaced the entire front brake system while I was at it. It made them a tiny bit better, but they are still spongy. I blead them about 5 times, and it didnt help. So I replaced the master cylinder and vaccuum booster, and no change. There are no kinks in the brake lines. Everything is adjusted correctly, the brakes have probably been blead so many times I've gone through 100 bucks in brake fluid. When the vehicle is off, once I finish bleeding them the brakes feel fine. The second I turn the engine on they go spongy again. Anyone have any ideas of what else the problem could be?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2013, 10:18 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Just curious, but what method are you using to bleed the brakes?

When you installed the MC, did you bench bleed it?

Let's just start there.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 08-18-2013, 04:45 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

To bleed the brakes, used the traditional method. You pump the brakes to make them stiff, then crack the bleed screw on the caliper to release the air and then repeat. And yes, I've bench blead the MC multiple times as well.
Old 08-18-2013, 06:23 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

OK Thx. Lol I didn't think I hear back from you. Since you've replaced the hydro boost too and it appears you've done everything else correct. Its leading me to believe you may have air trapped in your power steering system that feeds the hydroboost to operate your brakes. Did you make sure you shimmed the hydroboost correct at the firewall too? I can't remember exactly how that's done though. Here's a good video to flush the PS system.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TSw...e_gdata_player

Also to help bleed the PS system. Put the front of the truck up on jackstands, start the truck, then turn the steering wheel back and forth all the way and press the brake pedal. I can take awhile.

Another thing that sucks is you may have a bad MC out of the box . Its happened to two members recently I helped on their brakes. Did you get a reman or new MC.
Keep me posted. ID hate to see you go through the year and a half of issues like I did. The brakes on these trucks can be a real pita.
Old 08-21-2013, 04:53 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Oh okay, thank you so much! I never thought of the power steering. I'll have to try that. And the master cylinder was new, as well as the booster. And sorry for the long wait on replies, my computer has been giving me issues and my phone won't let me access Powerstroke.org from it for some reason.
Old 08-21-2013, 05:09 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Do you have the hydroboost system or the traditional big bladder style vacuum booster like gassers have. Pics I've seen on the net have shown both.

Old 08-29-2013, 07:34 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I have the hyrdoboost system in my truck. And sorry again for the late reply, I've been having computer issues.
Old 10-07-2013, 06:14 PM

Hey - a "97 should have a separate air pump, NOT attached to the power steering pump. Also try the rear anti lock brake controller. Located on the inside of the frame rail behind the left front tire. IF the bleeder screw comes loose - bleed there. Mine is so rusted I cannot even see it. I have the same spongy pedal. Some people say its the booster, other say there is air trapped in that rear brake controller. I'm still working on it - but If I sit in park with my foot on the brake, it slowly goes to the floor - When my buddy pulled the vac hose from the booster, the pedal stopped sinking. I stood on it for a minute and it did NOT move. I'm wondering as the truck gets older, does the air pump create too much vacuum, causing the booster to do odd things?....
Old 05-22-2014, 06:29 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Was the issue ever resolved? Same problem with a 97 powerstroke.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
1997, brakes, f250, ford, powerstroke

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.