Incredibly Disappointed with Nitto Grappler - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Wheels, Tires, and Brakes Here's where you can post all your topics and questions about wheels, tires and brakes.
Sponsored by Discount Tire

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2013, 10:46 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Incredibly Disappointed with Nitto Grappler

Hey All,

I regularly read and sometimes post on this forum. I try to do my best to share information that will be useful to other F250 owners. This forum has saved me a lot of money in the last few years.

Before I purchased tires, I tried to read as many posts on this forum as I could.

I wanted a tire that looked great and gave my truck a more aggressive appearance, was good in the winter and had reasonable wear.

Based on what I read, I chose the Nitto Grappler MT.

I almost chose the Goodyear Duratrac or the BFG TA

I had them mounted on a 18" black Rockstar wheel with an offset and a they look fantastic, really fantastic. Fattens the look of the truck and gives it that little bit of stance this truck needs, IMO. I couldn't complain about the look, it finishes off the truck of my dreams.

BUT, the wear on this tire is absolutely, ridiculously poor. I can't stress enough on how quickly this tire wears. I've had them ONLY 10 MONTHS and they are almost done. I'm not far off of the wear bars and I suspect that they will be finished in a year.

You are probably wondering about milage? I put below average milage on this tires - I work from home, I don't commute and I have only towed on these tires for 700kms. To save the tires, I swap wheels when I go on a long tow. I just came back from a 12,000km tow, if I would have left the Nittos on, they would be slicks. I would say I am an average or below average distance, or at least I have been on these tires because I took them off during my longer drives.

I'm 70% on pavement, 15% on dirt-roads and 15% off-road.

Anyway, I need to post my disappointment with these tires. I don't know if I received a bad set but if this is normal, DO NOT PURCHASE THESE TIRES.

I made a $1400 mistake with these, I hope someone can learn from my error. I am mostly just venting and warning others of my experience.

Any comments and opinions are welcome.

D

Last edited by scotiadallas; 08-07-2013 at 08:42 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2013, 10:50 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Do you have the Trail Grapplers or the Mud Grapplers?
Old 08-04-2013, 11:06 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
The mud grapplers are very soft, while the trails are a harder rubber, kind of a street queen tire. They hook up good in the mud, but not like the MUDs.
Old 08-04-2013, 11:11 AM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I have to agree nitto tires suck! I had a set of the terra grapplers and only lasted 18k miles and that was all highway miles with no smokey burnouts, so I decided to get the toyo open country a/t's have 43k miles on them with plenty of meat left. On my work truck I have the toyo open country m/t's and have 32k miles on them with a lot of meat left as well

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 08-04-2013, 12:00 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I have the duratrac`s and have had them on for 16000 miles and they seem to be wearing great. i rotate them every 5000 with the oil change
Old 08-04-2013, 01:03 PM

HOLLY KRAP with those results I guess Ill stick with my BFG's. Thanks for the heads up.

Last edited by kinnisoj; 08-04-2013 at 01:03 PM. Reason: misspell
Old 08-04-2013, 02:41 PM
Yeah it's a Turbo Diesel

Feedback Score: 11 reviews
I have the nitto dune grapplers and they didn't last for sh!t, I got the truck used but the tires were either brand new or just a few hundred miles. I already need to replace them and I have almost put 24k miles on em. Poor wearing! Good lookin tire and it's quiet but don't last worth a sh!t!

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 08-04-2013, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazsecond View Post
Do you have the Trail Grapplers or the Mud Grapplers?
MUD Grapplers, maybe I should have went with the TRAIL.
Old 08-04-2013, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotiadallas View Post
MUD Grapplers, maybe I should have went with the TRAIL.
For a daily driver that doesn't see mud, yes, you should've went with the trail graps. The mud graps are known to wear quicker than AT tires but that's because of our heavy trucks and soft rubber compound. The tires are made for the mud, and they perform excellent in it, they just don't last very long. I have 7k miles on mine and they still look brand new
Old 08-07-2013, 05:28 PM
Premium Member

TOYO M/T!! these tires are the sh!t. I rode in a cummins off road with brand new nitto muds and he was spinning in 4x4 up a soft hill +-35% grade, absolutely pitiful, they are loud ugly and dont perform well in mud. He ended up getting 25k out of them and they are slicks. My toyos have 10k almost all rock/pavement/chip-seal so far and look brand new, quiet and sexy looking, they are e load rating, and i wouldnt buy a different mud tire. They are perfect! I hate the nitto mud as much as i hate black rims and thats a lot!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.