Urgentish Tire problem.... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Wheels, Tires, and Brakes Here's where you can post all your topics and questions about wheels, tires and brakes.
Sponsored by Discount Tire

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2013, 10:12 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Urgentish Tire problem....

I need tire size, and would like tire type info ASAP
On my almost new to me truck I have secondary rubber showing on the outer edges of both front tires that came with it so I need to buy replacements very soon, I've done a ton of searches online and simply can't find anything that covers what I'm looking for even though I've seen trucks with this done in the past.

I have stock 16" rims on my 03 4x4 SRW which has the leaf spring front suspension. (I think the rims are 7.5" or 7 wide?)

I want to put a taller, but NOT a MUCH wider tire on my truck that will fit with stock suspension set up with no to minimal mods. (think military-ish appearance to the tire)

I want to:
Have an E rated tire to ensure I can keep a stiff pressure/sidewall for highway driving/performance. (I bleed pressure all the time for snow/mud/sand conditions.
increase ground clearance at least a little
keep good snow traction, and good water displacement in rain
maybe boost mileage a bit
have little to no spring rubbing
not have obnoxious road nose... I'm already driving a diesel and like my stereo up a little, if I add tire noise, I won't be able to hear myself complaining about bad NJ drivers and warning them how they are taking their life in their hands by cutting me off.
I do NOT want to increase the rolling resistance a ton
I do NOT want to have to do a ton of mods for fit, I don't mind trimming some plastic here or there, or doing some shimming, I'm replacing the bumper soonish so trimming it wouldn't even kill me honestly, but I don't want to get involved in a TON of changes.
I do NOT want it to look goofy

I want an exceptional traction tire, and would LIKE it to look aggressive but performance trumps appearance. In the past I've run BFG AT's and Hankook Dynapro All Terrains on my Explorer and Tundra that I was very happy with. I hear the BFG's don't hold up as well on the Super Duty's, but have seen guys run them. I've also been considering the Michellin MS/2 tires which are very plain jane looking for my taste, but supposedly have performance comparable to the BFG's but with longer wear and quieter running. I'm curious about the dynapro Mud Terrain option, but I'm worried that it won't do well enough in ice/rain and may be too noisy. Much of the snow here in NJ turns into ice pretty quickly so it's a consideration.

Anyone out there with a SRW 4x4 that did a narrow taller tire on a stock set up that can tell me what sizes works?

Anyone run a taller narrow tire that performed exceptionally? Current size is a
265/75/16 and they stand about 29.5" tall, they'd probably be an even 30" with fresh tread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2013, 12:46 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

You are asking for too much. No tire is going to improve every aspect of the tires job.
Old 07-28-2013, 12:54 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
285/75 16 BFG All Terrain. call it a day.
Old 07-28-2013, 01:07 PM

I don't think so at all. I know I'm going to have some trade-offs compared with a straight street tire. What i'm looking for is the AT tires that do the trade-offs better and win in more categories.

I'm looking for a tire that can handle business in moderate off road use without being a roller skate on an ice rink, or a surf-board in the rain or being so soft that the sidewalls fold under every time I take a turn.

As I noted I was very happy with performance of MY BFG's and Hankooks. I think the BFG's did the snow better, and the hankooks do the rain better compared to other AT tires. If I was going to fault the BFG's, I'd note that they didn't perform as well in rain as i'd like and were noticeably weak in that area, but I was very happy with them over-all. My Hankooks, have done really well in what I've gotten to drive them in, if I was going to fault them it would be for a worse rolling resistance and maybe being not QUITE as snow worthy as I'd like when it comes to really digging the deep stuff.

The real issues is all the guys I see going to a bigger tire are getting the widest tire they can squeeze onto their stock rims and under stock wells while keeping a similar aspect ratio to stock in order get a taller/bigger over all tire. I'm looking for taller without a big increase in width. Maybe they do that because they don't understand tire sizing, or maybe they do it because they like the "look" of a big wide foot on their truck (I get that). However, for my uses, there is no reason to put a 305 or 315 wide tire on my truck, I'm not spending any meaningful time in sand or deep soft mud. Simply staying narrow will help me avoid a lot of the crazy rolling resistance and MPG hits of bigger tires but still allow me to have bite when I'm 2 tracking it, and will naturally perform better in the snow than a wider print. By going taller I also expect to at least offset some of the effects of having a stickier/heavier/harder rolling tire than what I currently have. Plus, by keeping the tire narrower, I should actually be able to go physically taller than guys using a wider tire without encountering interference, since the wider tire will hit distances sooner and further out, if that makes sense.

In essence, I want to know specifically what size of narrower aggressive tires guys have fit stock, and used, and liked. That's not so much to ask IMHO.

For example, I was looking at 285/75/16 as a size option, which translates to a roughly 33" tall tire, if that fits, it's a good fit for me and gives me another almost 2" of real ground clearance, and reduces my RPM's at speed nicely, without any crazy mods or totally sacrificing the quality of driving my truck on the road daily

Last edited by Motomike777; 07-28-2013 at 01:16 PM.
Old 07-28-2013, 01:24 PM

From reading other people's posts, I'm concerned the BFG's won't hold up well under the SD loads, I haven't seen anyone post their actual mileage out of a set, or a thoughtful performance review.
Old 07-28-2013, 03:52 PM
Premium Member

my dads 03 f250 had 40K when he traded it, still had atleast 25K left. they were 285/75 16.

if you rotate a BFG and keep a good alignment they will last FOREVER!
Old 07-29-2013, 08:46 AM

Thanks...

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerstrokeshellback View Post
my dads 03 f250 had 40K when he traded it, still had atleast 25K left. they were 285/75 16.

if you rotate a BFG and keep a good alignment they will last FOREVER!
That's definitely helpful, if there was a pic of that truck around, that would be xtra super!
Old 07-29-2013, 08:57 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Tire are my business so I can help you some...
As posted before the BFG AT is one of the best all around tires for our heavy trucks, not the best riding and not the quietest either! The next tire with high customer reviews on heavy trucks is the Nitto Terra Grappler, outside of these 2 tires the reviews will be very mixed. I have personally seen both tires last over 70k on many different trucks that are driven hard or even pampered and rotated/aligned every oil change.
Both come in the 285/75R16 and are priced near the same!
Old 07-29-2013, 01:33 PM
Premium Member

I don't, sorry.
Old 07-29-2013, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerstrokeshellback View Post
I don't, sorry.
Totally okay, I really wasn't expecting you to have a picture, just wishful thinking.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.