Cut Out Flares + X-code Spring... how big to go?? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Wheels, Tires, and Brakes Here's where you can post all your topics and questions about wheels, tires and brakes.
Sponsored by Discount Tire

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2013, 01:51 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Cut Out Flares + X-code Spring... how big to go??

Hey all looking for some suggestions on wheel offset and back spacing. I prefer the big tire look with only a little bit of lift so I'm planning on doing Cut out flares, X code leaf springs and maybe a small 2.5" leveling kit/3" hangar lift. I figure this will make room for a 36 or 37 " tire. So 2 questions, one what do you think the chances I could squeeze a 38" tire on? and 2) what backspacing and offset would be needed so I don't rub the leaf springs? I can cut the bumper if that get to be and issue as well. I'm planning on sticking to a 17" or 18" rim with beadlocks. Thanks for the help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2013, 03:07 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Yr make model???

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 07-23-2013, 03:19 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

My Bad its a 2001 F-250 ext. cab long box, has 285/75R16's on it right now with sagging V-code front springs
Old 07-23-2013, 04:18 PM
Premium Member

1999-2004 use a 4.5 backspace. That would be a -25 offset on a 10 inch wheel. Remember, different widths use different offsets to achieve the same backspace.
Old 07-23-2013, 05:42 PM
Premium Member

If you v codes are shot. X codes will give you 3-3.5" without the added 3" hanger kit. You may want to do x codes first to see how u like it before you buy the hangers. Glad to see ur not using mini packs too, I hate them things. Its just one more part in the equation that doesn't need to be to get the results you want. Plus you'll get a more factory look and less axle wrap with x codes

Old 07-23-2013, 07:54 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Hey thanks for the info folks, so if an x code might give me 3" of lift over what i have now (the springs r sagging enough that my arb diff cover wont fit without any griding) any chance a narrow 38" tire would be an issue?? My other option is zone off road has a 1" hangar lift so I don't have to do the 3" ic
Old 07-23-2013, 07:58 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

The 3 " icon lift, will a 10" wide wheel and a 13.5" tire be a problem?
Old 07-23-2013, 08:21 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YT250 View Post
Hey thanks for the info folks, so if an x code might give me 3" of lift over what i have now (the springs r sagging enough that my arb diff cover wont fit without any griding) any chance a narrow 38" tire would be an issue?? My other option is zone off road has a 1" hangar lift so I don't have to do the 3" ic
Going with a 38" tire your going to need alot more offset than -25mm. The biggest issue of tire clearance is rubbing the leaf springs. Not so much the fender itself as long as you go up. Which is easier to fix than trying to find a wheel that you really like with enough negative offset. Push comes to shove you can get wheel spacers but that's kind of a last resort. Which that's the boat I'm in.

Old 07-23-2013, 08:51 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the good advice! wheel spacers are not going to happen! So I should be ok with the flares, a 1-3 inch hangar lift and/or x code springs and a 36/37" tire on a rim with 4.5" back spacing/-25mm offset? I'm really more interested in running a decent sized tire and and will be fine with whatever beadlock rim will work. hucorey how much lift r u running with the 35's?
Old 07-24-2013, 04:54 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hucorey View Post
Going with a 38" tire your going to need alot more offset than -25mm. The biggest issue of tire clearance is rubbing the leaf springs. Not so much the fender itself as long as you go up. Which is easier to fix than trying to find a wheel that you really like with enough negative offset. Push comes to shove you can get wheel spacers but that's kind of a last resort. Which that's the boat I'm in.

I've seen 38s on 2003 on 16x10s with -25 offset (4.5 backspace), the only reason he go rid of the 38s was that they were too expensive to replace. Of course he had an 8" lift, too, so that maybe why there was no contact issue.

At any rate, going to less backspace (more negative offset) will get the tire away from the springs. The equal and opposite effect is that it will get closer to the bumper/sheetmetal when turning. Without spending the big bucks on Centerlines or Welds, I don't think you're going to find a backspace less than 4.5" for a reasonable cost.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.