Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Grinding sound

1K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  stanand23 
#1 ·
I just put new brakes on my 06 f250 and while driving home I noticed a grinding sound that would come up randomly and then make a popping noise when I would come to a stop and the noise would stop. This noise happens every once in a while. Anybody have any ideas?

#3 ·
The bolts were tightened and nothing got bent. I put new brakes pads on and turnedd the rotors. It doesn't grind all the time it sounds like I am running over the rumble strips on the highway and when I come to stop to turn it pops and fixes. It isn't very loud when it makes the noise.

#4 ·
Admittedly, I'm grasping in the dark because I can't see it, but is it four wheel drive? Are the locking hubs engaged/installed? All the lug nuts/hub tight? You are absolutely positive none of the brake bolts vibrated out? I have had that happen. Abs has air in it maybe? If it didn't do it before the brake job, then it is more than likely a result of something you did; which is a good thing because it is easier to diagnose. Which way do you have to turn for it to "pop" and correct itself?

#5 ·
I have four wheel drive and the brakes were installed by a shop. The locking hubs have the automatic locking. As far as the brake bolts I don't know because I wasn't the one that tightened them. I got all four brake pads put on and the rotors turned. The shop I went to is a reputable shop and I haven't had trouble in the past but the noise starts when I get to about 35mph and then continues until I either put on the brakes or turned. It doesn't do it every time I drive just sometimes. It has me thinking it is the bearings but I am not positive because I have never heard this sound before.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.