2005-07 MUD FLAPS...??? "vs" 35s with level - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Wheels, Tires, and Brakes Here's where you can post all your topics and questions about wheels, tires and brakes.
Sponsored by Discount Tire

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
View Poll Results: what should I do guys?
Take all the flaps off and deal with mud and chips 2 40.00%
Lift the truck to an appropriate height to accommodate mud flaps 2 40.00%
buy 33s on 17s so that flaps will fit 0 0%
manufacture some sort of flap that will work for my situation 1 20.00%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2013, 10:42 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2005-07 MUD FLAPS...??? "vs" 35s with level

hey guys,
so after trying tonnes of different things, tieing back fender liner, cutting up my factory add on flaps, buying bulletproof mud flaps. nothing will work with my 35s and leveling kit. the back is fine but the front is where the problem here in lies.

i have noticed all over these boards you americans do not run any mud flaps... how do you get away with this?? i live up in northern alberta and constantly drive through thick sticky mud in the summer/ fall mixed with rocky gravel roads when its dry and snow/salt/ice roads in the winter/spring. a definite no win situation.

is their a solution to running mud flaps with just a levelling kit?
or am i going to have to go to smaller tires?
or since i love the look of 35s so much am i going to have to lift my truck to be able to use my bulletproof step back mud flaps? (if so what size lift enables these tires to work?

im sick and tired of spraying out my rear bumper for 20 minutes every wash or having to clean off my amp research power steps like no other. and the rock chips are really getting to me.

heres a few pics so you guys know what im working with,
steve
Attached Thumbnails
2005-07 MUD FLAPS...??? "vs" 35s with level-20130513_174129.jpg   2005-07 MUD FLAPS...??? "vs" 35s with level-20130531_174127.jpg   2005-07 MUD FLAPS...??? "vs" 35s with level-20130602_143446.jpg   2005-07 MUD FLAPS...??? "vs" 35s with level-20130602_143430.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2013, 09:54 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Mud stoppage

When you say your fronts are not working, do you mean that they do not catch much of the mud, or that they are getting caught/rubbed by the tires when turning or something? The devil is in the details they say.

Generally speaking, your conditions are probably muddier and uglier than most US folks are going to see on a regular basis, regrettably, we have relatively little dirt road left.... le' sigh ... and salt contamination is simply a fact of life in the areas that use it (if only people would learn to drive we could probably just use sand, but alas...). Generally speaking, salt comes with water which becomes a spray mist that swirls with the air and hits everything with or without flaps, especially if you like to pass people and that means you drive through their heavy salt mist wake. The best thing for this is regular waxing and a good undercoating, so that when it sits on the surfaces a while (which it inevitably does), it doesn't corrode so quickly.

That said, you might consider some bigger fender flairs. This can not only catch some of the debris and rocks those wide tires are going to throw especially when you're turning the fronts, but they will also give you better cover-up for doing a creative mud flap install in front without it looking tacky. The basic is that you need to get tire clearance from them and low enough to catch the stuff that gets slung off lower. As a rule of thumb, if you can draw a line from where your tire leaves the pavement to the back of your cab, you'd probably like your flap to interfere with that line of "attack" I would recommend you look at some big rig flaps, or like the heavy rubber ones ranchers or big motor homes will run off their back bumper, and then custom cut those to sit where you like, and mount them with appropriate hardware to hold them where they wont get sucked up into the wheels. (sometimes a rearward cable tie off on the inside a a good solution to help allow the flap to flex but not go forward under braking and get sucked up.

BTW are your power steps aftermarket or stock? how well do they work?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.