Best overall 38x15.5 tires? Dry Rot issue - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Wheels, Tires, and Brakes Here's where you can post all your topics and questions about wheels, tires and brakes.
Sponsored by Discount Tire

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2013, 09:33 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Best overall 38x15.5 tires? Dry Rot issue

I need to buy a new set of 38x15.5x20 tires for my truck and wanted to get everyones opinion. I currently run the Toyo Open Country MTs. I love them but bc I didnt drive it enough, dry rotting has gotten pretty bad. I have TONS of tread but need replacing because of the rot. So now I need to shop for a new set and am between Toyo, Nitto and MT. Opinions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2013, 04:50 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I had the Mickey Thompson Mtz in the 38x15.50r20 and liked them a lot. I only had about 3 k on them and found a good deal on some nearly new toyo 40's. I thought the toyos would be a little less loud but honestly they are pretty close. The toyos took less weight to balance but they have a worse hop/bounce at 45mph then the mickeys did. The mickeys look better IMO . I'm not sold on the toyos but I wanted 40's. If mt made a 40 in a Mtz I would have it. Hope this helps
Old 05-28-2013, 04:53 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Oh and nitto mud grapplers are garbage. I would put Boggers on my stuff before I would ever run that tire. IMO
Old 05-29-2013, 04:39 AM

I've ran mud grapplers in 38x15.5. They balance well, wear well, and if you lower the pressure down from the max, they ride good. They did great in the mud, sand, daily driving, and snow, but sucked in ice. Can't blame that on the tire, it has more to do with having an unloaded bed.

The biggest complaint is the noise. 38x15.50's are the loudest of all the mud grappler sizes. Not sure why, but they're considerably louder than my 40's. If the noise doesn't bother you, then it's not an issue. The noise doesn't bother me(I only put an avg of 75 miles a week on my truck) and they're some of the best looking tires out there. It sounds like you don't put many miles on your truck either, so they're an option for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02bigstrokin View Post
Oh and nitto mud grapplers are garbage. I would put Boggers on my stuff before I would ever run that tire. IMO
To the OP, beware of comments like these. Unless they have a reason for why they're garbage AND have actually ran them on their truck, most of these are BS. Mud Grapplers are actually a tire with great reviews and I've never heard anyone opting to run Boggers over them on a road driven rig.

On another note, I've actually seen more negative reviews for Toyo Mt then Mud Grapplers. The Toyo's are amazing road tires but don't clear out well at all and have a reputation for getting stuck

Last edited by bigred3297; 05-29-2013 at 04:47 AM.
Old 05-29-2013, 04:37 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigred3297 View Post
I've ran mud grapplers in 38x15.5. They balance well, wear well, and if you lower the pressure down from the max, they ride good. They did great in the mud, sand, daily driving, and snow, but sucked in ice. Can't blame that on the tire, it has more to do with having an unloaded bed.

The biggest complaint is the noise. 38x15.50's are the loudest of all the mud grappler sizes. Not sure why, but they're considerably louder than my 40's. If the noise doesn't bother you, then it's not an issue. The noise doesn't bother me(I only put an avg of 75 miles a week on my truck) and they're some of the best looking tires out there. It sounds like you don't put many miles on your truck either, so they're an option for you.

To the OP, beware of comments like these. Unless they have a reason for why they're garbage AND have actually ran them on their truck, most of these are BS. Mud Grapplers are actually a tire with great reviews and I've never heard anyone opting to run Boggers over them on a road driven rig.

On another note, I've actually seen more negative reviews for Toyo Mt then Mud Grapplers. The Toyo's are amazing road tires but don't clear out well at all and have a reputation for getting stuck
Well my comment is not bs and I stand by it. Mud grapplers are loud, obnoxious, and won't get even close to the same mileage as toyos or mtzs. I have friends that have run these tires and they all never bought them again. They are "GARBAGE!" If I didn't care about my truck at all then they might be an option. I might would put mud grapplers on a mud truck that never gets washed or never sees pavement but other then that they suck. It's funny you have seen so many negative reviews on the other brands but I work at a 4x4 truck shop and we sell the crap out of toyos and Mickey Thompson and a lot of terra grapplers too but I haven't seen a set of those garbage tires come through the shop in over a year. Nobody wants them unless they are young kid that likes to be heard coming from miles down the road.
Old 05-30-2013, 02:03 PM

Thanks for the opinions guys. I currently run the Toyos and love them. The only thing I do not like is that they are dry rotted bad. Some people say I still have a good year left in them and others say replace asap even though I have a lot of tread left. I just wonder how MTZ would hold up to this. How are the MTZ on price range compared to Toyos?
Old 05-30-2013, 06:14 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

The mtzs are a little more expensive then the toyos in a 38.
Old 05-31-2013, 02:15 PM

Yea I've noticed. Are they just as wide? I know they are the same size but some are more rounded vs more squared
Old 05-31-2013, 08:04 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

The mtzs look wider then the toyos. Or at least my 38 mtzs looked wider then my 40" toyos.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.