Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

wheel and offset question

2K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  Karls03 
#1 ·
hey, have a question about wheels and offset, searched forever but cant really get a clear answer on what i want or need. I currently have roughly 8' of lift (6'' 4 link kit from rough country and 2 leveling kit) im wanting to go with a 38x13.50x20 tire/wheel combo but not sure on what to get with back spacing and offset. Also not sure if i should go with a 9'' wheel or a 10. any advice would be greatly appreaciated. truck is a 07 btw. thanks.

#2 ·
38s work with 8" of lift.

With a 13.50 tire, I wouldn't mount it on anything LESS than a 20x12. A -12 off set will maintain the OEM backspace, a -51 will give you about a 4.5" backspace, as in push the tires out farther. I have 38x13.50s on 10s on our half ton, I have to run 25 psi to get anymore than the center tread on the road.

#3 ·
so a -25 off set would i rub do you think

#5 ·
Shouldn't on on a coil spring truck....

#4 ·
You should definitely stay with 4.5" of backspacing regardless of the wheel width for a lifted superduty. If you stay in that backspacing, the extra width on your wheel will all be on the outside.
-12 in a 9"
-24 in a 10"
and most manufacturers will make a -44 in the 12"'s, that is actually 4.75" of backspacing, but will work just fine if you can't find a wheel in -51mm.

As far as the width goes, a lot of it is personal prefference on how you like the wheel/tire to look. Manufacturers have reccomended widths and lots of people have opinions on it too, but do what you like the look of.

I had Toyo 12.50's (actually 13.5 wide) on 9" and got 70,000 miles on them @60psi. To me 9" looks a little too narrow for a 12.50-13.50, but mine lasted great. I think 10" wide wheel is the perfect size for that tire. That is what i'm running now, I like that look much better. Every time one of my customers comes in and gets 13.50's on a 12" wheel, I just don't like the look of it.....too wide for the tire IMHO.
Most of that is my opinion, but I hope some of that helps

#6 ·
for what its worth, i ran 12.6" wide tires on a 9" wide rim on my 05 and run the same tire on my 2010 with a 10" wide rim now and road manners are definitely better and wearing much better. so go as wide as you can especially with a 13.5" wide tire i would atleast get a 10" wide rim. good luck

#8 ·
wouldnt mind a bit of trimming, think im going with XD monsters in a 20x10 and runnung 38x13.5 toyos, anyone have any pros or cons with either of these. thanks.

#9 ·
Like I said earlier, I wouldn't mount a 13.50 tire on a 10 inch wheel. If you use a 12" wheel, then you can run a higher psi without riding on the center of the tread. A higher psi means less rolling resistance which means not as much of an mpg loss rolling 38s.

Sent from my LG-VS700 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

#10 ·
i just ordered my 7" lift for my 2011 and ive been told numerous times by many members, that i will be fine running 20xp BMF Novacianes on a Toyo M/T 38/13.50/20.????? am i missing something here??

#11 ·
Just keep in mind clearance too. I just had a customer that wanted 22x12 with 37x13.50x22's on a 6" lift in 2012. I told him it wouldn't clear but he knew better, so we tried it. Even with an additional 2" we were going to put in it, it wouldn't have cleared comfortably. We went with a 22x10 and it cleared easily with no trimming on the 6".
Just some more food for thought.
Here's a couple pics of his

#12 ·
I had a similar issue running 14.5 Toyos on my 2003. I ended up pushing the bumper about 1.5" forward and solved the problem.

Sent from my LG-VS700 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.